Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #1

Steps and Outside lighting

On my 2013 Berkshire when I turn on the outside step lighting the step retracts when the entry door is closed. If the door is opened the step deploys all the while being lit. Is this the way every Berkshire is set up and if so what am I missing? I would like to be able to control step deployment and lighting seperately. Anyone else?

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:58 AM   #2

By the entry door do you have a series of switches? One of those says step on it actuating it turns the step control on or off so when parked the step will stay extended all the time until you start the coach.
As for lighting I am not sure what lighting you are trying to control but there are other switches at the same location.

Wayne
Old 08-15-2015, 08:34 AM   #3

I checked mine after your post, and yes this is the way my mine works.
I thought of the switch as a step switch rather than a light switch and didn't even know it was lighting up as we turn that switch off each time we stopped at a campground.
I was even going to put some LED lights there, but now I can probably just rewire somehow.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
7 Year Class A RV'er

As a side note, there is a safety feature associated with the step switch, too. To prevent damage, the steps will retract when the ignition is turned on, regardless of the switch setting.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
As a side note, there is a safety feature associated with the step switch, too. To prevent damage, the steps will retract when the ignition is turned on, regardless of the switch setting.
I believe the steps will pull in with the ignition on and door closed. However, with the motor running, if you open the door, the steps will go out (at least on mine)
Old 08-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #6

That is the way mine work also. In fact that's all I do is leave the switch alone and it opens and closes as we travel (when stopped).

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

Thanks, Phil57 - That is correct. The safety interlock is just to keep from damaging the steps by driving off with them extended. Appreciate the clarification.

Also, on several FR models, there seems to be like a 30 second delay sometimes before the steps extend or retract. Look before you step or it could be a big surprise! I've almost done it a couple of times!

Old 08-15-2015, 06:52 PM   #8

Speaking of steps, mine started acting up on the way home today. Closed the door and there was a delay before they retracted. Never had this before. Figures that they would start today after I left the rally. Hopefully they will last until next years rally!! (LOL!!)

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
That is the way mine work also. In fact that's all I do is leave the switch alone and it opens and closes as we travel (when stopped).
Phil, I assume you leave the switch to 'off'?
Then does your light come on when the steps are out?

We have been turning our switch 'off' when in campgrounds so the steps will stay out, but the light does not come on and the steps are dark.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:21 PM   #10

Yes Dan we leave the step switch off. Heck I didn't know there was a light until they replaced my step last year. Don't mean to hijack the thread our tick off Ernest but I see the new steps don't have the bolt that has given lots of folks including me and Marty a scare. The new design has a alloy arm. It looks much more substantial.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Don't mean to hijack the thread our tick off Ernest but I see the new steps don't have the bolt that has given lots of folks including me and Marty a scare. The new design has a alloy arm. It looks much more substantial.
Don't get Ernest started again. You know this is a sensitive subject.

I've got to get some lights down there before Nickie falls in the dark.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:56 PM   #12
7 Year Class A RV'er

Check the forums - it's a very common issue, though I've yet to see any solutions. Mine doesn't do it all the time but you never know when it will happen. Got to be some sort of bug in the control board.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:00 PM   #13

Dan I have never looked at it. I might tomorrow if I get a chance. I would also like a light on the step. I'll let you know. It can be hard enough getting in and out during the day but at night makes me nervous also. I'll let you know.
I thought I'd stir Ernest up a bit. So sorry you and Nicki didn't make the rally this year. We had a good time.
I was also looking forward to meeting Ernest and his wife. Maybe next year.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Speaking of steps, mine started acting up on the way home today. Closed the door and there was a delay before they retracted. Never had this before. Figures that they would start today after I left the rally. Hopefully they will last until next years rally!! (LOL!!)

That is not normal mine had been doing that since new. So far they have changed the motor the door switch because sometime is operates immediately and other times it delays. FR is going to change controller next service trip.

Wayne
Old 08-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #15

I STILL HATE MY STEPS!!!! Dang things drove me nuts opening and closing as I drove down the highway on our recent trip.... They've been doing this for years and IM SICK OF THEM!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #16

I believe the step controller controls the step light. Steps out light on. Steps in lights off. It may be possible to turn off the light when steps out by turning off the steps switch with door open. Give it a try.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
I believe the step controller controls the step light. Steps out light on. Steps in lights off. It may be possible to turn off the light when steps out by turning off the steps switch with door open. Give it a try.
The problem is reverse, we want the lights to stay on when these steps switch is off.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:35 AM   #18

Power Steps

The wiring of the steps are indeed very safety oriented. If you have a porch light, it might be much better to add a second light to that switch rather than tinker with the step switch.
Hope this helps.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Yes Dan we leave the step switch off. Heck I didn't know there was a light until they replaced my step last year. Don't mean to hijack the thread our tick off Ernest but I see the new steps don't have the bolt that has given lots of folks including me and Marty a scare. The new design has a alloy arm. It looks much more substantial.
I just have had some problems with my step and contacted Lippert and learned a few things which substantiates Phils post.

Lippert calls my step the "Coach Step", which they did away with (do not know when) and replaced it with the "Quickie Step". The Coach Step has the motor underneath, while the Quickie has the motor above the frame. Their web literature does not clearly address this and could be confusing if one was to order a part. This leads to a question as to how long parts will be available for the Coach Step.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:28 AM   #20

Phil
When Lippert changed our steps last years rally, because of the broken linkage bolt what did they install? As for the light, I checked mine last night. If the switch is on the light comes on and stays on as long as the door is open. If i close the door the steps retract and the light goes out. The door must be open for the light to go on. Is this the way it is supposed to work?
Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light