Old 08-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #11

The brakes sticking to the drums after a 2 or 3 week time period is not uncommon on semi trucks and trailers witch have the same basic air brake system as your coach. As far as the air dryer exhausting yes you can count on that to tell you that the system is full of air as the air governor sends a burst of air to unload the compressor at 130 to 135 psi and that is the same burst of air that purges the dryer

Old 08-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrunning View Post
The brakes sticking to the drums after a 2 or 3 week time period is not uncommon on semi trucks and trailers witch have the same basic air brake system as your coach. As far as the air dryer exhausting yes you can count on that to tell you that the system is full of air as the air governor sends a burst of air to unload the compressor at 130 to 135 psi and that is the same burst of air that purges the dryer
Yes, that "woosh" sound is the governor blowing off the excess pressure as you stated.

But an additional piece of info is that the compressor is clutchless and NEVER stops running (AFAIK, it is gear driven directly off the engine itself) and therefore is always operating (compressing), which is why you hear the governor blow off the excess pressure every so often.

As far as draining the tanks..... I pull my cables every few months whenever I happen to think of it. I have NEVER gotten more than a teaspoon or so of moisture out, even when I drove 18 wheelers.

Finally, the REALLY big problem would be during the winter, when that moisture could freeze and possibly render the entire brake system useless.

Boowho??

Old 08-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #13

Bohoo maybe i did not explain it in enough detail. yes the compressor is direct driven by the engine but it also has what is called an unloader valve when it opens it does not allow the compressor to build air the air governor is usually mounted directly to the compressor on the air governor there is 2 lines one line monitors the air pressure in the tank when the air pressure reaches the governor max setting the pressure moves the valve in the governor allowing the passage to the unloader valve to open thus preventing the compressor from building any more air in the tank the whoosh of air you hear is the air dryer purge valve opening for a short time to blow any moisture out of the bottom of the dryer this is done at the same time your compressor unloader valve opens so you see even though the compressor is direct drive it does basicly shut off and when you hear the whoosh your system is full.

Tags
parking, brakes