Old 04-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #1

Stopping and Starting - protocol

Is there a correct protocol for spring brake and transmission selections when starting and stopping - which first?.

I had some lessons in a dump truck with Allison Transmission for my D license and was taught when stopping to bring the vehicle to a complete stop, put the transition into neutral (N) then apply the spring brake, then release the service brake.

When setting off - service brake applied, release the spring brake, select D then release the service brake.

Would you seasoned Berkshire owners agree?

Old 04-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #2

I don't think it really matters. As a nature of habit, from a parked position, I will engage the the unit into Drive and then release the parking brake.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #3

I do it the way you do, Royston. It's to remind me to be certain I didn't get rushed and forget to take it out of gear. I'm not sure there is an official way, but this works for me and that's the routine I'm going to keep doing.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:05 PM   #4
Dragonship Captain

Launch: In gear, release parking brake, go.

Park: Select neutral, set parking brake, release foot brake.

It yells at me if I am in neutral and the parking brake is not set, so it's hard to forget this way.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies.

We pick up the coach on the 27th and not having a DP before I just wanted to make sure I was using the correct sequence.

I came across this tonight while searching the internet
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
Dragonship Captain

I don't think you want to "set the vehicle in motion" by releasing the brake pedal and THEN the parking brake.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #7

Does not sound right to me either Oscarvan but it was an Allison instruction pdf
Old 04-20-2017, 06:59 AM   #8
Dragonship Captain

At work we have remote parking lots with buses that run us back and forth. They are on an International chassis with the Allison transmission. They run short runs with a bazillion stops. They are operated by drivers that have the appropriate license and can pass a drug test. Any other skills are gravy. And they run 24 hours a day. When I see the abuse they take, the fine nuances we are discussing on this page are utterly trivial and inconsequential.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #9

Air brakes work via taking air away from each brake. You set the parking brake or push the brake pedal, you remove the air. Foot on the pedal or not for releasing park brake. When I drove trucks, used foot brake put in neutral and set park brake then shut off truck.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Air brakes work via taking air away from each brake. You set the parking brake or push the brake pedal, you remove the air. Foot on the pedal or not for releasing park brake. When I drove trucks, used foot brake put in neutral and set park brake then shut off truck.
Hi A32Deuce, Applying the foot brake (service brake) forces compressed air into the service brake chambers which applies the brakes. Applying the parking brake (spring brake) releases air from the spring brake chamber and the large coil spring exerts force to apply the parking brake