Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2016, 05:44 AM   #1

Storage compartment door latches

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this problem with storage latches but I've had two separate incidents with compartment doors opening while on the road. The first one I will assume I missed it on my pre-drive check (even though I always do a walk around and push on each door). The second time I'm positive I checked and locked each one. However, my curbside cargo door that opens toward the back opened on I10 at about 65 MPH. I was able to close it after resetting the u-bolts that serve as the lock catch device. When I got to the campground I checked each door and lock assembly and had to readjust over half the locks. Several of the plastic lock tabs were barely making connection with the u-bolt and some didn't engage at all. It's really expensive to replace the doors and having the paint (3 colors) matched. I'm considering adding a second lock to each rear opening door by putting a slide bar lock on the inside. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what is the permanent fix.
Doug Dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #2

Soon after getting our Berkshire couple years ago, I noticed all the latches did not engage the way I thought they should and adjusted the ones that needed it. I always figured if that rear opening door came open it would rip it right off at speed. Good suggestion is for all Berkshire owners to check their latches and adjust if needed.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #3

I have a 2008 coach. The way the rear opening doors are set up is with one latch and a metal strip attached to the edge of the door. when the front door is closed there is no way for the rear door to open as the front door is against the strip.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #4

That's true for the double doors but on my coach, there's also a single door on both sides that opens to the rear that doesn't have a forward opening door to help keep it closed. I wish FR would make all open to the front and eliminate this problem.
Doug Dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #5
7 Year Class A RV'er

No way to know if it impacts the Berkshire or not, but the FR folks are replacing defective bay door latches on some of the Legacy's. I heard back from Mitch Wirt this morning that my coach was not affected but I know some other are. If they used the same latches, which I would suspect, that could be something to do with your issues.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #6

The way the doors are on my coach the wind from moving forward will keep them closed. Other than the one double that needs to be the way it is. I have no problem with them opening.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #7

On my 5er I added thumb turn locks...no key...as a safety precaution in case they open.....I had one side door open one time.....only lost a bottle of window cleaner!!! Trouble adjusting "U" shape catches you need someone inside to check if they are adjusted properly......J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #8

There is a combination lock/barrel bolt on Amazon that looks nice, and has an attractive price. Two birds......
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #9
Just Dreamin

I own a 2008 360QS and I have a couple of locks where there is a corner of the plastic latch piece missing. They still work but I contacted FR with the vin of the coach and they didn't have any replacements because when my coach was built they were using 3 different manufacturers so I would have to take the coach to the plant and let them see which ones I have installed. There aren't any markings on them so I can't even give them a model number or manufacturer name. So far no problems..
dreamin533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #10

I had a problem with the slam doors(open vertically) on the rear of my Rockwood Sig. Ultra Lite, 8315BSS opening when going around corners. I felt they were pushed open by the sliding storage bin that runs across the rear of the trailer. To solve the problem, I put a piece of plywood across the opening on both sides before pulling the trailer. Haven't had anymore problems.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamin533 View Post
I own a 2008 360QS and I have a couple of locks where there is a corner of the plastic latch piece missing. They still work but I contacted FR with the vin of the coach and they didn't have any replacements because when my coach was built they were using 3 different manufacturers so I would have to take the coach to the plant and let them see which ones I have installed. There aren't any markings on them so I can't even give them a model number or manufacturer name. So far no problems..
will these work?? They are the ones I plan to use on my 2008 if I ever need them.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, storage