Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Storage Hints

Here's what we do for our winter storage. I'm not saying this is the end all, but it does seem to work for us. We do have indoor, unheated winter storage with electrical hookup.

1. Before storing, we open up all awnings and slide toppers to dry them out before storage.
2. We remove all paper products, books, etc. Anything that could be a new home to little critters.
3. We fill up with both diesel and propane.
4. We add an algacide to the diesel tank to keep algae from growing in the fuel tank.
5. Our rig is stored on concrete, but we cover the entire area under the unit with plastic and park the tires on Advanteq.
6. With the air bags fully inflated, we put 12X12 blocks directly under the raised jacks. The clearance is just enough to get the blocks under the jacks. When the air bags are deflated the MH is resting on all six tires and all four jacks.
7. We put D-Con around the MH along with moth balls. We put dryer sheets in the storage bays along with pieces of Irish Spring soap. This is supposed to keep the critters out. (Note: This may be like the old line from Farmer 1: "I raise radishes to keep out the marmots." Farmer 2: "But there are no marmots around here." Farmer 1: "See, it works!")
8. Once a week I go to my storage area and open the garage door and start the rig and let it run for about 10 minutes.
9. I leave the rig plugged in, but both the coach and chassis batteries turned off. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad one, but so far we have had no ill effects.
10. I wait for the end of tax season and spring!

If you have any additions or other ideas, please let me know and we can add them to the list.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
RnR

wnytaxman;

I'm not familiar with Advanteq. What is it? I'm thinking it is prbably some kind of rubber mat.

Ron
All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the LORD weigheth the spirits. Pro 16:2
2011 Berkshire 390BH DP
RnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Sorry Ron, but I didn't spell the product correctly. It is AdvanTech. It is a type of flake board that is used by contractors as an underlayment for flooring. I hope that helps.

Ed
Old 11-04-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
RnR

Ed,
Yea, I'm familiar with the underlayment, thanks for the clarification.
I was thinking it may have been a new product, or one I hadn't heard of. I'm way behind on knowing new products and a multitude of products not so new.

Ron
All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the LORD weigheth the spirits. Pro 16:2
2011 Berkshire 390BH DP
RnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Sorry about the spelling mistake Ron. I grew up in the lumber business but that was eons ago and there are so many new products out there now that it is hard to keep up with them all. I have enough trouble keeping up with the tax laws that affect (or infect) all of our lives.

Ed
Old 11-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #6

Hmmmm. Good list as we are in a cold area as well. I don't understand why the plastic on the floor? Also, I understand you keep your batteries turned off but the coach plugged in. I am assuming then that a trickle charge keeps your coach batteries topped up? In my area, the only covered dry storage is also un heated. However, due to cold winter temperatures, I will need to remove my batteries for the winter. I know batteries do not like a steady temp. Of -20.

So my question is, how hard is it to remove the coach batteries and the chassis (engine) battery? I like the idea of starting it weekly but seems like it would be quite a lot of work each week installing and removing batteries.

It is something that obviously people here have solved cus there is a ton of MH's here. Curious what other people do in the next step up in Nast cold weather?

Currently my camper is easy.....I take out my two batts. And store them in the garage. If we want to head out in the winter, I just ensure they are charged and then wire them up and off we go.
Kampin Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Keith we don't get quite as severe weather here, at least in the temperature department, but at one time in my life I lived in Fairbanks, AK, and it got really, really cold there. We had temps in the -50 (F) for weeks at a time so I know what cold can be. Even there, I was never aware of anyone taking their batteries out of the vehicle in the winter. It seems like there is something like a battery blanket that can be used to keep the batteries from freezing in severe cold. I'd have to research it.

The reason I put the plastic down over the concrete is to act as a second vapor barrier. This way the chassis and whole underside of the rig stay completely dry and there is no moisture coming out from the concrete. I think there is a vapor barrier under the concrete also, but this way I know that I'm safe.

Ed
Old 04-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #8

There has to be some definitive answer on how to store your RV or trailer. I realize you can either blow out the water system or use approved antifreeze. However, what about covering the trailer. I just traded in my tent trailer which I stored in my garage for a hybrid which will not fit now. I will have to store outside during winter. So the question is, other than the water system, what else do i have to do: cover? get it up off ground? mice issues, what????
masarost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #9

I store my unit indoors with the jacks partially extended(to avoid continued weight on tires). I try to get over to the storage lot once a month to start it. I shut off the chasis battery because I'm not sure if the inverter charges it. Do any of the seasoned vets know if the Magnum inverter does? If I'm making any mistkes, let me know.
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #10

i was told the inverter does not charge the chassis batteries. mine went dead once.while pluged in for a month. i installed a battery tender, and pluged it into outlet that is for block heater in compartment to right. i leave plug in all the time.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #11

I think your tender has circuitry to avoid overcharging. That will be my next purchase. Thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #12

As far as I know, the maxum does charge the chassis batteries when you are plugged in. Have not had a problem starting after the coach sits idle for about 4 months but is plugged in.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #13

I'll look into the chasis charge. I have so many books, somtimes its easiest to consult you vets with my issues. The house batteries have a charge meter. I wish the chasis did.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Here's what we do for our winter storage. I'm not saying this is the end all, but it does seem to work for us. We do have indoor, unheated winter storage with electrical hookup.

1. Before storing, we open up all awnings and slide toppers to dry them out before storage.
2. We remove all paper products, books, etc. Anything that could be a new home to little critters.
3. We fill up with both diesel and propane.
4. We add an algacide to the diesel tank to keep algae from growing in the fuel tank.
5. Our rig is stored on concrete, but we cover the entire area under the unit with plastic and park the tires on Advanteq.
6. With the air bags fully inflated, we put 12X12 blocks directly under the raised jacks. The clearance is just enough to get the blocks under the jacks. When the air bags are deflated the MH is resting on all six tires and all four jacks.
7. We put D-Con around the MH along with moth balls. We put dryer sheets in the storage bays along with pieces of Irish Spring soap. This is supposed to keep the critters out. (Note: This may be like the old line from Farmer 1: "I raise radishes to keep out the marmots." Farmer 2: "But there are no marmots around here." Farmer 1: "See, it works!")
8. Once a week I go to my storage area and open the garage door and start the rig and let it run for about 10 minutes.
9. I leave the rig plugged in, but both the coach and chassis batteries turned off. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad one, but so far we have had no ill effects.
10. I wait for the end of tax season and spring!

If you have any additions or other ideas, please let me know and we can add them to the list.
Good info. As for plugging it in do the batteries still charge ?