Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2015, 05:56 PM   #21

I don't know what the problem is dumping with the regular hose. I've had no problems but I see can several with the small hose and macerator.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
I don't know what the problem is dumping with the regular hose. I've had no problems but I see can several with the small hose and macerator.

Lots of advantages. First is being able to pump the poo up hill. If you have a sewer clean out at your house you can use it to dump the tanks at house instead of at the campground. Storage would also be a advantage as the hose is mote manageable. I'm sure others have more but the biggest is dumping at the house.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:02 PM   #23

I have a RV hookup at our winter home with sewer and 50 amp electric.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
I have a RV hookup at our winter home with sewer and 50 amp electric.

Me too.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #25

I can go either way on this one. It has advantages and disadvantages, just like the 3" hose.

It's kinda like a Ford vs Dodge, people gonna like what they like. I would like to see it as an option on the Berks though.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:31 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

If one came on the unit, I'd probably use it, but I wouldn't give 15 cents for it otherwise. In none of my camping situations in the last 45+ yrs have I ever seen a need for one.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #27

Even though it is a bit "Dramatic," the Thetford video on the Sanicon-turbo makes the point I was attempting to stress - loosing the Logistics tail you have with a regular sewer hose (3" hose, hose support, extension and, in the case of a WasteMaster a bayonet adapter)

Sani-Con® Turbo | Products | Thetford
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #28

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Not a Berkshire owner but I do enjoy the information in this thread. I am looking for a way to dump at home and this will do the job for me. Thanks for the idea.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Even though it is a bit "Dramatic," the Thetford video on the Sanicon-turbo makes the point I was attempting to stress - loosing the Logistics tail you have with a regular sewer hose (3" hose, hose support, extension and, in the case of a WasteMaster a bayonet adapter)

Sani-Con® Turbo | Products | Thetford
Hi sorry about the lunch debacle. If you watched the full video it showed that the previous owner of the motor home had put some disinfectant wipes in the black holding tank. This is what plugged up the blades of the macerater and caused the unit not to function. The point I want to make is you need to be careful what enters the black water tank will meet the design limits of the equipment.
This video is one of many you tube video the author has on his adventure to Alaska. It starts with buying his first motor home and journey to his work camp in Alaska. Most of the videos are informative and entertaining. If you want to watch more go to chris travels north to Alaska.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
Hi sorry about the lunch debacle. If you watched the full video it showed that the previous owner of the motor home had put some disinfectant wipes in the black holding tank. This is what plugged up the blades of the macerater and caused the unit not to function. The point I want to make is you need to be careful what enters the black water tank will meet the design limits of the equipment.
This video is one of many you tube video the author has on his adventure to Alaska. It starts with buying his first motor home and journey to his work camp in Alaska. Most of the videos are informative and entertaining. If you want to watch more go to chris travels north to Alaska.

Hope this helps Tim
Tim,

Thanks -- and no worries on the lunch and video -- a Military Career living out in the boonies cured me of ANY squeamishness

I saw the part about what gummed up the works - with relief I must add, because I was concerned the unit may be poorly designed.

I wonder who I could ask to find out if the so-called "Flushable" moist wipes would exceed the design specs of the Thetford?

Finally, I did discover his series after looking at that video - GREAT info since we plan on going to Alaska in 2018!

Another good source of videos andf general info on fulltiming/traveling the country can be found at this couple's website:
Gone With the Wynns
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #31
CDR USN Ret

I've got the portable flo-jet version. Before full-timing used it continuously at our sticks-and-bricks to connect to our septic system. I fitted it out with connections to allow use of 1-1/2 "flat" hose. Flat hose rolls easily and stows compactly. Flat hose and associated fittings are/is generally available at farm supply outfits. I now mostly stinky-slinky but still keep the macerator for long distances and up-hills.

Had to replace impeller once, easy to do since it used standard JABSCO marine macerator parts. I think the impeller kit was about $8 and took about 15 minutes.

To make electrical hook-up easy, i replaced the cigar-lighter electrical plug on the unit with a 12V, 20A trolling motor plug. I then installed a 20A 12V receptacle with an adjacent switch in my basement panel. I can hook the macerator up, plug it into the basement receptacle, just pull the drain valve lever and flip the adjacent switch.

By the way, the Flojet has a water hose connection right on the unit for flushing it, and the flat hose sure flushes cleaner than 20' of corrugated slinky.
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire