Old 04-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #1

Strange front television issue

Hello all. After months of prep, we're finally off on our first multi-day trip and the motorhome (08 Berk 360QS) is performing well. We have developed one strange issue with the front - Westinghouse television. We are connected to park cable and the picture 99% of the time is wonderful. Every once in a while, the tv picture will freak out, hard to describe. Not like static, but more like interference. Audio stays fine, picture is all blue snow. I can change inputs and it's the same - but after a few minutes, it comes back and may be fine for an hour or just 10 minutes. I've been trying to determine anything common. For sure it's not time specific, channel specific, nothing is happening in the coach, no change in power, no washing machine, no toaster, no AC, nothing specific. It also happens on over the air tv - not cable we found out today also...

I thought I'd try plugging the tv into a different outlet but I cant get to the power cord without disassembling the tv surround. Anyt ideas out there? The back tv does not display the same issue.

2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 pickup toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Director, FROG

Inside the cabinet where the splitter box is located, there should be a plate like a light switch plate, but with a cable connection in the center. On the plate there should be a small button and a (probably) green light. The light should be off when using cable. If it's on, press the button to turn it off. It's an antenna booster, and will interfere with your cable signal if it's on.

Also, check the menu on the TV and be sure the input source is cable, not antenna.

Hope this helps!

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #3

Thanks Bob. I have checked those things time and time again. The antenna booster is off and the tv is set to cable. Again, 99% perfect - then bam! A few minutes later, back to normal.

This morning, it is cool and the tv has been messed up for about 20 minutes. Last night, I could'nt get it to go bad.

We have changed cable connections, power poles, and talked to others around us. No one having anything similar.

I don't know anything about Westinghouse tv's but I'm beginning to believe the tv is just starting to go on the fritz.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #4

Do you have any other TV in your coach and does that one act up the same way? If the second TV is good, it sounds like there may be a problem with the TV.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoyer View Post
I don't know anything about Westinghouse tv's but I'm beginning to believe the tv is just starting to go on the fritz.
Since your problem is so intermittent, that would be my best guess. Try (if you can) to put a fan on it to improve air circulation. I don't mean as a permanent fix, but for troubleshooting.

IMHO, the biggest "enemy" of electronic devices is heat. I keep every piece I have as cool as possible (computers and such) and have NEVER had anything fail. The stuff just becomes obsolete and then I replace it, even though it's in perfect working condition.

Just my $.02 worth.

Boowho??
Old 05-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #6

tmar and boohoo,

Second tv in bedroom works flawlessly - always. When the front tv goes nuts, I check the back and it is always fine.

The cabinet where the front tv is mounted has good circulation - not that over time the heat has not taken its toll. Five days into the trip, I've decided the tv will be replaced once we arrive back home.