Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Herzliya - Israel
Posts: 21
Summer 2015

Summer 2015

Two months on the road 8000 miles

4 adults, five years old and 10 month old baby.

2015 40XL + 2007 Jeep commander

The Route (main cities) - Orlando - Panama City (Florida) - Memphis - St. Louis - Kansas City - Denver - Yellowstone – Glacier national park - Calgary - Banff - Jasper - Edmonton - Calgary - Great Falls - Billings - Rapid City - Sioux Falls - Chicago - Elkhart - Indianapolis - Nashville - Atlanta.

And now we will talk about "Barki" (the name given by my daughter)

Before departure. I went to "Orlando Freightliner" to service "Barki" : changing oil and filters engine and a generator including general chassis inspection.

Say I'm crazy (after only 2000 miles) yes I am!!!!

From mechanical aspect "barki" behaved all along, including long climbs in the mountains, without the slightest problem.

As for the coach, well,, I had some problems ( you can see Elkhart on my route).
Part of them I solve and fix by myself and part of them were fixed at FR Elkhart (thank you Mike Bukowski)

O.K. let's start:

1. Black water tank – flash didn't work (from first day)
Solution – NO VALVE (just forgot to assemble it ) - Fixed at FR Elkhart

2. on high side wind (unforgettable day on the way to Denver) loud noise coming from the front side of the dinette slide.
Solution – there were no rubber seal on the front side slide - Fixed at FR Elkhart

3. The small sofa (on the passenger side) starts "traveling"!!
Solution – they use metal screws on wood!!!! Went to home depot, got some nuts and bolts, drill through fix it.

4. The fridge move a little bit out of place.
Solution - - Fixed at FR Elkhart

5. The micro oven made sounds like a sick bird.
Solution – I found (this wasn't easy) the upper screw that hold it, open it a little- insert a piece of cardboard and tightening it. That’s reducing the noise by 90%. The remaining 10% was - Fixed at FR Elkhart

6. Headlights adjustment - Fixed at FR Elkhart


I know, that I had to start with the largest and most important problem that we had,,
The terrible sewage smell occasionally rising from the area near the fridge.

There is no action that I haven't tried.
it appeared from time to time no matter what I did.

And I tell you I tried everything, including conversations the guys at Camping World, and the guys in FR.

As a last resort I start Looking at commercial in the net!!
It took me short time to internalize some basic understanding,

The holding tanks vent caps which are come from the factory are piece of **** !!!

They are intended solely to keep dirt wouldn't enter the ventilation pipes (which everyone quietly admit it).

So ,,,, 60$ and 20 minutes later (for the two vents) ,,, no more problem !!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=99&v=zPvldWvC16g


Now "barki" are resting at a nice indoor storage near Chattanooga .TN. waiting for the next adventure.

In conclusion,, after all the little problems are resolved, we enjoy every moment and waiting to return to the next part of the journey,,,, southern states and Alaska 2016.

Those who had the patience to read this far you deserve a beer!!

"Barki' will be waiting for you at New Orleans Mardi Gras 2016

hashimshony
__________________

__________________
Hashimshony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
tmmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island (Nassau County), NY
Posts: 4,258
hashimshony,
Welcome to the Forums!! Sounds like you had a great trip with your new coach!! Also, from your post, looks like you have a great attitude and outlook in dealing with the minor problems that you encountered. After reading some of the posts from posters who are bashing FR for putting out a cra* coaches, yours was a breath of fresh air.
Hope you have many more memorable, trouble free and safe trips in future.
Enjoy the Mardi Gras!!
__________________

__________________
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashimshony View Post
"Barki' will be waiting for you at New Orleans Mardi Gras 2016

hashimshony
Ours is "Berky" and a friend christened it "Snooty". So we call it "Snooty Berky" and sometimes Darth Vader since the black, grey, silver with a burgundy stripe paint job (which I don't like all that much) make it look quite ominous; from the front anyhow.

BTW, glad to have you on board, and that was quite a trip.

Boowho??
__________________
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:01 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 259
Epic trip! Sounds fun! One thing to note ... Alaska and Southern states are probably not in the same trip... It's hot down here and I'd go to Alaska if I could! Come down to Arizona in February or March! Safe travels!


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
Jc
2014 400BH-60
jcowles3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:32 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Campin Cajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cut Off, La.
Posts: 1,830
Epic trip!!! I am so jealous. Glad you had a good time.

I wanna hear about the 2016 Mardi Gras trip. Have fun!!
__________________
2013 Berkshire 390BH
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
captnrick3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Santee, CA
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashimshony View Post
Summer 2015

Two months on the road 8000 miles

4 adults, five years old and 10 month old baby.

2015 40XL + 2007 Jeep commander

The Route (main cities) - Orlando - Panama City (Florida) - Memphis - St. Louis - Kansas City - Denver - Yellowstone – Glacier national park - Calgary - Banff - Jasper - Edmonton - Calgary - Great Falls - Billings - Rapid City - Sioux Falls - Chicago - Elkhart - Indianapolis - Nashville - Atlanta.

And now we will talk about "Barki" (the name given by my daughter)

Before departure. I went to "Orlando Freightliner" to service "Barki" : changing oil and filters engine and a generator including general chassis inspection.

Say I'm crazy (after only 2000 miles) yes I am!!!!

From mechanical aspect "barki" behaved all along, including long climbs in the mountains, without the slightest problem.

As for the coach, well,, I had some problems ( you can see Elkhart on my route).
Part of them I solve and fix by myself and part of them were fixed at FR Elkhart (thank you Mike Bukowski)

O.K. let's start:

1. Black water tank – flash didn't work (from first day)
Solution – NO VALVE (just forgot to assemble it ) - Fixed at FR Elkhart

2. on high side wind (unforgettable day on the way to Denver) loud noise coming from the front side of the dinette slide.
Solution – there were no rubber seal on the front side slide - Fixed at FR Elkhart

3. The small sofa (on the passenger side) starts "traveling"!!
Solution – they use metal screws on wood!!!! Went to home depot, got some nuts and bolts, drill through fix it.

4. The fridge move a little bit out of place.
Solution - - Fixed at FR Elkhart

5. The micro oven made sounds like a sick bird.
Solution – I found (this wasn't easy) the upper screw that hold it, open it a little- insert a piece of cardboard and tightening it. That’s reducing the noise by 90%. The remaining 10% was - Fixed at FR Elkhart

6. Headlights adjustment - Fixed at FR Elkhart


I know, that I had to start with the largest and most important problem that we had,,
The terrible sewage smell occasionally rising from the area near the fridge.

There is no action that I haven't tried.
it appeared from time to time no matter what I did.

And I tell you I tried everything, including conversations the guys at Camping World, and the guys in FR.

As a last resort I start Looking at commercial in the net!!
It took me short time to internalize some basic understanding,

The holding tanks vent caps which are come from the factory are piece of **** !!!

They are intended solely to keep dirt wouldn't enter the ventilation pipes (which everyone quietly admit it).

So ,,,, 60$ and 20 minutes later (for the two vents) ,,, no more problem !!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=99&v=zPvldWvC16g


Now "barki" are resting at a nice indoor storage near Chattanooga .TN. waiting for the next adventure.

In conclusion,, after all the little problems are resolved, we enjoy every moment and waiting to return to the next part of the journey,,,, southern states and Alaska 2016.

Those who had the patience to read this far you deserve a beer!!

"Barki' will be waiting for you at New Orleans Mardi Gras 2016

hashimshony
Thanks for posting, looks like a great trip. We leave on a similar route Monday, but leaving from So. California.
__________________

__________________
2015 Legacy 340KP
2012 Wrangler Sport
captnrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.