Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #1

Summer 2015

Summer 2015

Two months on the road 8000 miles

4 adults, five years old and 10 month old baby.

2015 40XL + 2007 Jeep commander

The Route (main cities) - Orlando - Panama City (Florida) - Memphis - St. Louis - Kansas City - Denver - Yellowstone – Glacier national park - Calgary - Banff - Jasper - Edmonton - Calgary - Great Falls - Billings - Rapid City - Sioux Falls - Chicago - Elkhart - Indianapolis - Nashville - Atlanta.

And now we will talk about "Barki" (the name given by my daughter)

Before departure. I went to "Orlando Freightliner" to service "Barki" : changing oil and filters engine and a generator including general chassis inspection.

Say I'm crazy (after only 2000 miles) yes I am!!!!

From mechanical aspect "barki" behaved all along, including long climbs in the mountains, without the slightest problem.

As for the coach, well,, I had some problems ( you can see Elkhart on my route).
Part of them I solve and fix by myself and part of them were fixed at FR Elkhart (thank you Mike Bukowski)

O.K. let's start:

1. Black water tank – flash didn't work (from first day)
Solution – NO VALVE (just forgot to assemble it ) - Fixed at FR Elkhart

2. on high side wind (unforgettable day on the way to Denver) loud noise coming from the front side of the dinette slide.
Solution – there were no rubber seal on the front side slide - Fixed at FR Elkhart

3. The small sofa (on the passenger side) starts "traveling"!!
Solution – they use metal screws on wood!!!! Went to home depot, got some nuts and bolts, drill through fix it.

4. The fridge move a little bit out of place.
Solution - - Fixed at FR Elkhart

5. The micro oven made sounds like a sick bird.
Solution – I found (this wasn't easy) the upper screw that hold it, open it a little- insert a piece of cardboard and tightening it. That’s reducing the noise by 90%. The remaining 10% was - Fixed at FR Elkhart

6. Headlights adjustment - Fixed at FR Elkhart

I know, that I had to start with the largest and most important problem that we had,,
The terrible sewage smell occasionally rising from the area near the fridge.

There is no action that I haven't tried.
it appeared from time to time no matter what I did.

And I tell you I tried everything, including conversations the guys at Camping World, and the guys in FR.

As a last resort I start Looking at commercial in the net!!
It took me short time to internalize some basic understanding,

The holding tanks vent caps which are come from the factory are piece of **** !!!

They are intended solely to keep dirt wouldn't enter the ventilation pipes (which everyone quietly admit it).

So ,,,, 60$ and 20 minutes later (for the two vents) ,,, no more problem !!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=99&v=zPvldWvC16g

Now "barki" are resting at a nice indoor storage near Chattanooga .TN. waiting for the next adventure.

In conclusion,, after all the little problems are resolved, we enjoy every moment and waiting to return to the next part of the journey,,,, southern states and Alaska 2016.

Those who had the patience to read this far you deserve a beer!!

"Barki' will be waiting for you at New Orleans Mardi Gras 2016

hashimshony
Hashimshony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #2

hashimshony,
Welcome to the Forums!! Sounds like you had a great trip with your new coach!! Also, from your post, looks like you have a great attitude and outlook in dealing with the minor problems that you encountered. After reading some of the posts from posters who are bashing FR for putting out a cra* coaches, yours was a breath of fresh air.
Hope you have many more memorable, trouble free and safe trips in future.
Enjoy the Mardi Gras!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashimshony View Post

hashimshony
Ours is "Berky" and a friend christened it "Snooty". So we call it "Snooty Berky" and sometimes Darth Vader since the black, grey, silver with a burgundy stripe paint job (which I don't like all that much) make it look quite ominous; from the front anyhow.

BTW, glad to have you on board, and that was quite a trip.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #4

Epic trip! Sounds fun! One thing to note ... Alaska and Southern states are probably not in the same trip... It's hot down here and I'd go to Alaska if I could! Come down to Arizona in February or March! Safe travels!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #5

Epic trip!!! I am so jealous. Glad you had a good time.

I wanna hear about the 2016 Mardi Gras trip. Have fun!!
Old 08-22-2015, 01:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashimshony View Post
Summer 2015

Two months on the road 8000 miles

4 adults, five years old and 10 month old baby.

2015 40XL + 2007 Jeep commander

The Route (main cities) - Orlando - Panama City (Florida) - Memphis - St. Louis - Kansas City - Denver - Yellowstone – Glacier national park - Calgary - Banff - Jasper - Edmonton - Calgary - Great Falls - Billings - Rapid City - Sioux Falls - Chicago - Elkhart - Indianapolis - Nashville - Atlanta.

And now we will talk about "Barki" (the name given by my daughter)

Before departure. I went to "Orlando Freightliner" to service "Barki" : changing oil and filters engine and a generator including general chassis inspection.

Say I'm crazy (after only 2000 miles) yes I am!!!!

From mechanical aspect "barki" behaved all along, including long climbs in the mountains, without the slightest problem.

As for the coach, well,, I had some problems ( you can see Elkhart on my route).
Part of them I solve and fix by myself and part of them were fixed at FR Elkhart (thank you Mike Bukowski)

O.K. let's start:

1. Black water tank – flash didn't work (from first day)
Solution – NO VALVE (just forgot to assemble it ) - Fixed at FR Elkhart

2. on high side wind (unforgettable day on the way to Denver) loud noise coming from the front side of the dinette slide.
Solution – there were no rubber seal on the front side slide - Fixed at FR Elkhart

3. The small sofa (on the passenger side) starts "traveling"!!
Solution – they use metal screws on wood!!!! Went to home depot, got some nuts and bolts, drill through fix it.

4. The fridge move a little bit out of place.
Solution - - Fixed at FR Elkhart

5. The micro oven made sounds like a sick bird.
Solution – I found (this wasn't easy) the upper screw that hold it, open it a little- insert a piece of cardboard and tightening it. That’s reducing the noise by 90%. The remaining 10% was - Fixed at FR Elkhart

6. Headlights adjustment - Fixed at FR Elkhart

I know, that I had to start with the largest and most important problem that we had,,
The terrible sewage smell occasionally rising from the area near the fridge.

There is no action that I haven't tried.
it appeared from time to time no matter what I did.

And I tell you I tried everything, including conversations the guys at Camping World, and the guys in FR.

As a last resort I start Looking at commercial in the net!!
It took me short time to internalize some basic understanding,

The holding tanks vent caps which are come from the factory are piece of **** !!!

They are intended solely to keep dirt wouldn't enter the ventilation pipes (which everyone quietly admit it).

So ,,,, 60$ and 20 minutes later (for the two vents) ,,, no more problem !!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=99&v=zPvldWvC16g

Now "barki" are resting at a nice indoor storage near Chattanooga .TN. waiting for the next adventure.

In conclusion,, after all the little problems are resolved, we enjoy every moment and waiting to return to the next part of the journey,,,, southern states and Alaska 2016.

Those who had the patience to read this far you deserve a beer!!

hashimshony
Thanks for posting, looks like a great trip. We leave on a similar route Monday, but leaving from So. California.