Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #21
Family Man with an RV

Send a message via Skype™ to doctormdj
Quote:
Originally Posted by klucas View Post
This is funny. We will be in Bryce next week. I have a convention to be at in Anaheim so we decided to drive out there and visit Bryce and Zion On the way. After spending a few days in Anaheim we are going to sequoia and Yosemite parks. Then off to black canyon in gunnison colorado then colorado springs before heading home. We are staying at the Bryce Canyon pines. After our stay there I can let you know our thoughts.
Small world... we live 30 min south of Anaheim. There are a lot of great places here in Orange County and thew surrounding areas to stay too. If you want some tips.... say the word.

We stayed at Yosemite Pines RV Resort of there. Nice place with Full Hook ups but a bit dusty and somewhat far from the entrance to the park. Next time we go we think we will stay at the Thousand Trails up there.... It's closer to the park entrance. Great time a year to go as most of the falls are still running for a few more weeks. Thousand Trails - Getaways

We did Zion in February.... BEAUTIFUL! Ya certainly need several days to take it all in.

Where are you staying at in the black canyon and colorado springs?
doctormdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormdj View Post

Small world... we live 30 min south of Anaheim. There are a lot of great places here in Orange County and thew surrounding areas to stay too. If you want some tips.... say the word.

We stayed at Yosemite Pines RV Resort of there. Nice place with Full Hook ups but a bit dusty and somewhat far from the entrance to the park. Next time we go we think we will stay at the Thousand Trails up there.... It's closer to the park entrance. Great time a year to go as most of the falls are still running for a few more weeks. Thousand Trails - Getaways

We did Zion in February.... BEAUTIFUL! Ya certainly need several days to take it all in.

Where are you staying at in the black canyon and colorado springs?
Yes any advice on what to do would be great. I have 3 kids so anything kid friendly . We are staying at the Anaheim rv resort as it is closest to my convention.

Black canyon we don't have reservations yet. We will just wing it in that area. Colorado Springs we are staying at the koa south of the city.
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #23
Family Man with an RV

Quote:
Yes any advice on what to do would be great. I have 3 kids so anything kid friendly . We are staying at the Anaheim rv resort as it is closest to my convention.

Black canyon we don't have reservations yet. We will just wing it in that area. Colorado Springs we are staying at the koa south of the city.
Sure.... we have 3 kids as well... (Girls ages 4, 6 & 8) so this one will be easy. How old are your kids? First things first. Are you towing a car or going to rent one? Enterprise rental is great to do pick up over there.

Do you want to see the sites, the beach, have fun with the kids or go whale watching near Catalina Island. There is a ton to do. Give me some details on what your family likes and I'll give you some ideas and recommendations.

Jason
Old 06-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #24

Quote:

Sure.... we have 3 kids as well... (Girls ages 4, 6 & 8) so this one will be easy. How old are your kids? First things first. Are you towing a car or going to rent one? Enterprise rental is great to do pick up over there.

Do you want to see the sites, the beach, have fun with the kids or go whale watching near Catalina Island. There is a ton to do. Give me some details on what your family likes and I'll give you some ideas and recommendations.

Jason
Kids from 15 to 2. So the whole spectrum. We will be staying away from Disney land(just not the same as Disney world) . We will have a toad with us. We are up for anything.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #25

We have one trip this weekend nothing big going to stay in Saratoga, wy at Saratoga lake from Thursday - Sunday. Then in July we are planning a week long trip through Idaho. First to lava hot springs for a couple of days then up to st Anthony Idaho to ride the sand dunes for a few days and the we will come back into Wyoming and stay at granite hot springs through the weekend. Hope all works out should be fun.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #26

Taking a "sabbatical" from work. Going to Alaska for 3 months. After the trip I'll work 9 to 12 months and then retire. I'll be doing some backpacking so I wanted to go while I was still healthy and reasonably fit.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #27
Family Man with an RV

Quote:
Kids from 15 to 2. So the whole spectrum. We will be staying away from Disney land(just not the same as Disney world) . We will have a toad with us. We are up for anything.
For that age group a great getaway with the toad is Legoland california. Great park and will take you about 1 hour to get there. It's an all day event but my kids love it. Official LEGOLAND California Site If your kids like parks like Disney, this one is pretty nice to do.

Second, a real treat is the Discovery Museum. Discovery Science Center in California - Orange County's Family Fun Science Center Very close to you. About 15 - 20 min drive. This is something the family can do while you are in the conference. My kids love coming back to this place all year long. Very educational something for everyone to do.

I also suggest heading down to the Beach. The closest one to you that is nice is Huntington Beach although I really like Dana Point Harbor. In Huntington Beach there are lots of shops... great walking and lot of fun. In Dana Point there are cruises to Catalina Island and Whale watching tours that are a lot of fun. If that sounds great, let me know... and I'll get you the details. That is a great thing to do in California.

Loads to do out here.

- Jason
Old 06-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #28

Quote:

For Yellowstone check out grizzly rv park. It is in west Yellowstone Montana. It is one of the nicer campgrounds we have stayed at. Easy entrance in the west gate of Yellowstone. And the small town is great to visit after a day in the park. For Rushmore look at the koa there. It is right down the road from Rushmore np. If you have kids they will love the koa. But it is a good spot to base for Rushmore, Custer and crazy horse.
Loved Grizzly RV park!!
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #29

I've heard the Jellystone park in Estes Park is a lot of fun for kiddies. There are a lot of amenities, but its not cheap! I plan on going there some time this summer for a close to home vacation (about 3.5 hrs from my home).

I'm also available for opinions on things to do in Colorado--just PM me.

We already did our 'big' trip for the year. We got back from Branson yesterday. I couldn't get two weeks in a row off to do a longer trip until late July, but my wife will be about 27wks pregnant (with twin girls) by then so we don't think it'd be a good idea to travel at that time!! So, spring break next year will be Disneyworld!

Drive safely everyone.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #30

Quote:

For that age group a great getaway with the toad is Legoland california. Great park and will take you about 1 hour to get there. It's an all day event but my kids love it. Official LEGOLAND California Site If your kids like parks like Disney, this one is pretty nice to do.

Second, a real treat is the Discovery Museum. Discovery Science Center in California - Orange County's Family Fun Science Center Very close to you. About 15 - 20 min drive. This is something the family can do while you are in the conference. My kids love coming back to this place all year long. Very educational something for everyone to do.

I also suggest heading down to the Beach. The closest one to you that is nice is Huntington Beach although I really like Dana Point Harbor. In Huntington Beach there are lots of shops... great walking and lot of fun. In Dana Point there are cruises to Catalina Island and Whale watching tours that are a lot of fun. If that sounds great, let me know... and I'll get you the details. That is a great thing to do in California.

Loads to do out here.

- Jason
Thanks for the ideas. We will defiantly check some of these out. Have a great time in Yellowstone. We spent a week there and it wasn't near enough time.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #31

We are planning our first "road trip" to Arkansas, I've worked there before but not for long. So if anyone has any suggestions on what do see, do or where to camp I would appreciate it.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #32
Berkshire 390QS

Just returned from Hot Springs a couple weeks ago and the national park there had some campingsites. We also went to Creater of Diamonds which had some camping sites, but the hunting for diamonds is so, so
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #33

Well we had a May long weekend out with friends & just got back from a weekend Walleye fishing on Lesser Slave Lake in northern Alberta, two great weekends.

Now we need to get ready for a trip across North America to end up in Anagonish Nova Scotia, a month long excursion.

We will head South to Shelby Montana then east on Hyway 2, cross back into Canada around Detroit then east in Ontarion before dropping back into the US in upper New York State and on to the east coast.

Should any of you see us in our travels let yourself be known, it would be great to meet some of you.

George & Diana
Bershire 2011-390RB-60 Midnight Pearl
GHodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #34

Having fun in Durango, CO

Well, been here two weeks just generally lounging and loafing. So for our last day, we decided to ride the narrow gauge RR, even though we've done it several times before.

Excitement abounded, as we broke a piston about 12 miles north of Durango. Had to back about 3 miles down the hill to get to a siding where they could re-power the thing with another locomotive.

Lost an hour and a half, but heck it's all part of the fun, right??

Then, coming back from Silverton, we heard what sounded like 12 gauge shotgun shells going off really CLOSE. Turns out they were something called "track torpedoes" designed to warn the engineer of trouble on the track ahead.

The train in front of us had brake problems and could not continue down the hill. So, they took OUR engine and combined the cars from both trains to continue the trip back to Durango, leaving the second disabled steam locomotive of the day, sitting on a siding.

All l this shuffling around added another 90 minute delay. Total trip time is typically about 9 hours; turned into 12.5 hours for us. A real high adventure.

Now for those who've never taken the D&SNG RR trip, I STILL highly recommend it. Some of the rolling stock is approaching 90 years old, so can be a little persnickety at times.

In riding this thing 4-5 times over the last 20 years, this is the first time this has ever happened to me.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #35

Beginning to get really antsy here..... Turned on inside frig and started packing MH today.... Will continue packing and moving toward launch date of the 30th....

We are ready to hit the road and get to enjoying our trip...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
We are planning our first "road trip" to Arkansas, I've worked there before but not for long. So if anyone has any suggestions on what do see, do or where to camp I would appreciate it.
Howdy fellow mosquito bait, we just got back from Lake Catherine State Park near Hot Springs, AR. If you can get reservations there (especially on the water), I highly recommend it. There is much to do in the park from horseback trail rides, to renting boats for the lake. Even a short walk to a little waterfall. Here is where I posted some pics.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-ar-42066.html

Hot Springs itself, has all kind of things to do. I always like walking around downtown Hot Springs, where they have many different attractions. We actually rode the duck boat tours this year, and the tour guides are hilarious. This guy had us laughing about the whole time.

Take a Virtual Tour - National Park Duck Tours - Hot Springs, Arkansas

Lake Catherine State Park is near Hot Springs in the Arkansas Ouachita Mountains - Arkansas State Parks

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #37
marialee-Berkshire410qs

Going to start our trip from Washington State across the top of the US, down the eastern side then across the bottom and back up to the PNW. Taking 10 months...wish us luck. Any tips are welcome!!
marialee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #38

Been in Maine for a month and heading back.....

home to Daphe, Alabama now. We are camped in Sevierville, TN and will stay here for a couple of days and arrive home on June 23. Busted a jack pad and knocked a bedroom cabnet door off for the second time while gone. Will get those repaired and park it until Fall.
BamaCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaCorner View Post
home to Daphe, Alabama now. We are camped in Sevierville, TN and will stay here for a couple of days and arrive home on June 23. Busted a jack pad and knocked a bedroom cabnet door off for the second time while gone. Will get those repaired and park it until Fall.
Yeah, we had a fire extinguisher on the floor just next to the bed platform. After we retracted the slide the damn thing rolled into a position such that when I next extended the slide it ripped a small cabinet next to the bed completely of it's mounting!!!

Bummer....... I hate it when that happens.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote