Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #1

surge protection?

Does anyone know if the Berkshire has any built in surge protection? A local mobile rv tech who does some work on my coach asked me to look into it after telling me about another coach of a different brand he was called out to blew some appliances which was apparantly just caused by the rv owner wiggling the power cord into a shore power box. Sure it was probably a problem with the power supply but got me thinking whether we have any built in protection for this?

Old 05-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #2

Not unless you had one installed.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #3

Thanks. Do many bother to do that?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjracsj View Post
Thanks. Do many bother to do that?
If you value your electronic items in your coach yes!
Old 05-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #5

what happened to legal responsibility of the campground? you paid for power and they are responsible for that power.

same thing at home. you can file a claim for appliances that were damaged by a surge from your utility company. many just don't bother to do it and also do not have proof. yet, we don't run surge protectors on the appliances at the house or have a whole house surge protector right?
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post
what happened to legal responsibility of the campground? you paid for power and they are responsible for that power.

same thing at home. you can file a claim for appliances that were damaged by a surge from your utility company. many just don't bother to do it and also do not have proof. yet, we don't run surge protectors on the appliances at the house or have a whole house surge protector right?
When you pay at any cg where does it state that they are liable for surges and or bad connections ?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
When you pay at any cg where does it state that they are liable for surges and or bad connections ?
same as at home right? when you pay for utilities at home is there a clause in your service contract that limits them liability from surges or bad connections to the service panel?

all utilities are highly regulated by fed and state. you are responsible for everything inside of the home (house or rv). utility is responsible for everything up to the service panel (main panel or the service pedestal).

you don't boil and purify the water from the campground before you drink it do you? you can drink straight from the tap as it's regulated to give you fresh potable water. may not be the best tasting nor free of excess minerals, but it is potable.
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #8

I installed a Progressive hardwired unit in my rig.... I figured $300 bucks was a cheap investment to protect $1,000 of dollars worth of stuff...

Had a buddy that didn't have one and a lightning strike in the CG ended up costing him over $10,000 worth of stuff....
Old 05-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #9

We always use one. You just never know so why take a chance. Worth the investment.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post
same as at home right? when you pay for utilities at home is there a clause in your service contract that limits them liability from surges or bad connections to the service panel?

all utilities are highly regulated by fed and state. you are responsible for everything inside of the home (house or rv). utility is responsible for everything up to the service panel (main panel or the service pedestal).

you don't boil and purify the water from the campground before you drink it do you? you can drink straight from the tap as it's regulated to give you fresh potable water. may not be the best tasting nor free of excess minerals, but it is potable.
Good luck with that. Every campground I have stayed at that had bad power just offered me a different site and (oh, no refunds).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1070.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	31167   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1398.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	31168  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax