Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Now that I think about it, I can't think of a time where they were on when I got there, so I never imagined that's what was being discussed.

I will now make a mental note that if they ever are on to make sure I turn them off first. (sure hope I have enough brain cells left. Getting scarce)

Thanks for passing on that info !

Ken
Having them on does not necessarily guarantee a problem. However, if you happen to plug in so that your contacts make/break the connection more than once, (like the plug and/or socket has a bit of corrosion on them) that could be a problem. Like I said before, it's like a 1 in a 1000 chance.

In general, other than a lightning strike, the most damaging condition for electronics items, refrigerators, etc is a VERY short voltage spike. AFAIK, the shorter the time of the voltage variation, the more, likely it will damage something.

When I had my home in Colorado, we had really "dirty" power and would take a super short "drop out" at least once a week. I bought a couple of 1000 watt UPS's for all my valuable electronic devices. Would have cried had it fried that $10K digital piano!!!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:02 PM   #102

So after a 100 comments here's what I deduce...
Three products needed...
1. Surge only protector
2. Autoformer
3. EMS

A. Plug EMS into pedestal to verify quality or power.
B. Remove EMS and plug Surge Only protector into pedestal
C. Plug Autoformer into Surge Only
D. Plug EMS into Autoformer.

Surge only protects from huge spikes and allows the Autoformer and EMS to safely carry out their respective functions!

--Nathan
2016 38a
Old 09-05-2015, 03:29 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantoensing View Post
So after a 100 comments here's what I deduce...
Three products needed...
1. Surge only protector
2. Autoformer
3. EMS

A. Plug EMS into pedestal to verify quality or power.
B. Remove EMS and plug Surge Only protector into pedestal
C. Plug Autoformer into Surge Only
D. Plug EMS into Autoformer.

Surge only protects from huge spikes and allows the Autoformer and EMS to safely carry out their respective functions!

--Nathan
2016 38a
Nathan, unless you have money to burn, in my opinion what you've mentioned is extreme over kill. For me, the best option is the EMS only and the one that mounts inside the coach and is permanently wired in. It will take care of 99.9999999 percent of any problems, IMHO.

Once again, it's your money and YOU should decide the best way for you to spend it. Just for reference, I've been motor homing for 5 years and full timing for 3. That and a couple of bux will get me a cup of coffee, but may help you decide whether to trust my advice or not!

Finally, ANY surge suppressor will only protect from surges caused by the electric company. Lightning is another whole story, and NOTHING will stop a strike that hits with in a short distance of you location.

In fact, I've heard that lightning can strike a component of the "grid" many miles away an travel along main path between that component and your unit, and still act like a direct strike on your unit.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #104

Boo...you speak just like my Dad..... and he's never steered me wrong! Advice taken, thanks much!!

--Nathan
2016 38a
Old 10-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #105

Surge Protector... booster... or both?

Looking for auto former install info.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1444255391.497241.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	90946

This is my main power line. There is tons of room underneath.

I will be installing ems 50. Hard wired.
Can I hard wire the auto former here as well?

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 10-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #106

Autoformer has plugged ends...male and female. I added a short plug to my ems and plugged into the autoformer. Then I plug my power cord from the autoformer to the pedestal.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:56 PM   #107

For ease of use, portability, equipment security and flexibility I bought a 50 Amp extension cord. I run that to my electric bay. Inside the bay the extension is plugged into the Hughes Autoformer which is plugged into the portable Progressive EMS which is plugged into the coach. The Hughes acts as a first line of surge defense while also handling any temporary low voltage situations and keeps the EMS happy. The EMS protects everything from there. I am going to get in the habit of plugging the EMS into the pedestal first just to check things out before plugging the whole rig in.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:59 PM   #108

I would put the auto former ahead of the protector. That way you are protected from a problem from the autoformer.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
I would put the auto former ahead of the protector. That way you are protected from a problem from the autoformer.
I think we are on the same page. I may have not written clearly. Here's my order starting with the coach: Coach, EMS, Hughes, Extension Cord, Pedestal.

I wouldn't want to flip the EMS & Hughes because then the Hughes couldn't do it's job for low voltage because the EMS would see the low voltage first and shut down without giving the Hughes a chance to do it's thing.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1061 View Post
For ease of use, portability, equipment security and flexibility I bought a 50 Amp extension cord. I run that to my electric bay. Inside the bay the extension is plugged into the Hughes Autoformer which is plugged into the portable Progressive EMS which is plugged into the coach. The Hughes acts as a first line of surge defense while also handling any temporary low voltage situations and keeps the EMS happy. The EMS protects everything from there. I am going to get in the habit of plugging the EMS into the pedestal first just to check things out before plugging the whole rig in.

I did the exact same thing with mine. Autoformer first because if voltage is too low, ems won't allow power through. Autoformer boosts to enough power for ems to do it's magic and if everything is ok, power is then sent to coach. I also use an extension because the space in the power bay is tight, so I can store the power cord in another bay.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote