Old 08-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #61

Exactly what he said I said. Sorry posting from my phone. Don't go cheap!

Old 08-25-2015, 09:18 AM   #62

We have a Portable EMS-50. Didn't want to take apart the interior with so many camping days reserved (Nine as of today) so we bought the portable unit. The line in is behind my fridge and plan to remove the fridge over the winter, has anyone ever mounted a portable one permanently, can a remote display be hooked up to the portable unit? I thought Id throw it out here before I contact the company.

'01 Exiss 300MT Weekender
Lori the Best Half - Katie the dog: keeping me in line.
rclogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger2650 View Post
gasman94:
I read the information you sent and I noticed that the autoformer should be first in line before the EMS. BooWoo has a point. The only way your going to find out if there's an open ground is to check circuitry with EMS first, then if everything is good, install the autoformer ahead of the EMS.
What do you think?
Roger
Understand there is a HUGE difference between open NEUTRAL and open GROUND. Open ground can create a shock hazard, although not an absolute that it well shock you. Open neutral will destroy everything in the coach.

If you look at your 50A plug, you will see four prongs. One is ground. Then there is neutral and finally two "hot" prongs that give 110V EACH. They are usually named L1 and L2 for line 1 and line 2. Without the neutral those two 110 lines add up to a single 240V line! OUCH!!

Not intending to be talking down to anyone reading, BTW.

Boowho??
Old 08-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclogg View Post
We have a Portable EMS-50. Didn't want to take apart the interior with so many camping days reserved (Nine as of today) so we bought the portable unit. The line in is behind my fridge and plan to remove the fridge over the winter, has anyone ever mounted a portable one permanently, can a remote display be hooked up to the portable unit? I thought Id throw it out here before I contact the company.
that's what I did with mine. can take it out and pre-test pedestal or by-pass if needed

craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	surge01.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	86797   Click image for larger version

Name:	surge02.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	86798  
Old 08-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #65

what about us 30 amp users

o.k I understand how that all applies to a 50 amp service.....an open ground....would that not make the campground pedestal hot. ....what affect does it have to trailer internals. is there a possibility of a shock ?

I can see an open neutral in a 50 amp service doubling up to 240v and smoking everything, so is there a warning there for 30 amp setups? I guess high and low voltage 104/132 can be a problem, but low voltage would just shut down ac right ? .... not necessarily wreck anything or does it ?
and what is the possibility of an over voltage in a 30 amp service.....120 is 120. where would the overvoltage come from?
Old 08-25-2015, 09:23 PM   #66

BooWoo:
Will the EMS detect the open neutral and open ground without letting 240V through?
I just got my EMS from Progressive yesterday and would like to install it in the coach bay along with the Hugh's autoformer. I have been talking with gasman94 about this and he indicated to me that I should talk to Hugh's about which unit should be installed in series for the best protection of the coach. I was going to call them tomorrow (8/26/15). If you go back to the information that gasman94 sent, it indicated that the autoformer should be ahead of the EMS when installed in series.
I will let you know what they say.
Roger
Old 08-25-2015, 09:27 PM   #67

the EMS shuts off power when voltage gets above 132, so yes
davel1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #68

davel1971:
Do you think the autoformer should be installed ahead of the EMS unit? The autoformer has surge protection also. I'm not sure it could handle either an open ground or open neutral. That is one of the questions I have for Hugh's. I'm thinking that the EMS should be used first to see weather any of the conditions exist, and if there isn't a problem, then the autoformer could be installed ahead of the EMS to maintain the voltage that the sensitive equipment require.
Thanks...........Roger
Old 08-25-2015, 09:48 PM   #69

I would have to agree with what you are thinking Roger, but I would see what they have to say
davel1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:57 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger2650 View Post
BooWoo:
Will the EMS detect the open neutral and open ground without letting 240V through?

Roger

Yes, it will..... If there is any error condition either when you plug in OR if one occurs anytime WHILE you're plugged in, then the EMS will shut everything down BEFORE any damage can happen. It's like a GFI; the shutdown circuit is so fast that it can kill the input current before it can damage anything.

Any errors that DO occur will display an error code on a readout on your convenience panel, so you can tell what the problem is (assuming you have the fixed unit). On the portable unit, the code reads out in a small window on the device itself.

I know nothing about the Autoformer, so can't comment on it.

Boowho??