Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2015, 09:57 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 125
davel1971:
This has really been a confusing subject to say the least. I really want to get to the bottom of it though. I think there are some serious problems out there, when it comes to coach electrical. I have been using the Hugh's autoformer for about a year now. I really like the unit. It runs pretty cool, so it can be placed in the coach bay without any heating problems. I like expensive equipment like this to be secure as possible.
Roger
__________________

__________________
Roger2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:07 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 125
boowho:
You should research the Hugh's autoformer, it will increase by a certain voltage or reduce to maintain the voltage within an exceptable range for your electronic equipment. It was recommended to me after I blew a microwave.
Have been very happy with it. I think I bought it through Amazon for 500.00, free shipping and no tax. Hugh's website sells them for around $565.00.
Roger
__________________

__________________
Roger2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:54 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger2650 View Post
boowho:
You should research the Hugh's autoformer, it will increase by a certain voltage or reduce to maintain the voltage within an exceptable range for your electronic equipment. It was recommended to me after I blew a microwave.
Have been very happy with it. I think I bought it through Amazon for 500.00, free shipping and no tax. Hugh's website sells them for around $565.00.
Roger
Thanks Roger for your thoughts. I believe that the only advantage of the Hughes unit is that will boost the voltage in low voltage situations. My EMS GUARDS against, but does not try to improve the situation if the voltage goes low for an extended period.

In other words, the EMS only SENSES a low voltage condition, whereas the Hughes unit will try to FIX It. Now, my EMS would cut out in a temporary low voltage (like maybe a few seconds or so) and then re-apply the voltage immediately..... but for an extended period the EMS would not be helpful.

However, in three years of full timing, I've never had a situation where the Hughes would have been helpful. If I ever did have an hour or two of lower voltage, I would just run my generator. If in a park with a permanent low voltage issues, I would just leave, and go somewhere else.

So, too me it just wouldn't be something I'd want to spend $500 on. Maybe $100, but even then I'd probably pass.

Unless you have money to burn an EMS only setup is MORE than sufficient and I already have the EMS; PLUS they can be bought for a good bit less than the autoformer.

These are my OPIINIONS...... YMMV. Best to go with what YOU are comfortable with since it's YOUR money.

Boowho??
__________________
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:19 AM   #74
Senior Member
 
davel1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seaford, De
Posts: 2,317
not only does the EMS "sense" low or high voltage, it shuts down power to the camper when this happens, preventing damage. The minor inconvenience of a short power outage is still better than thousands worth of fried stuff
__________________
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:23 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
15berkxl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mishawaka
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Thanks Roger for your thoughts. I believe that the only advantage of the Hughes unit is that will boost the voltage in low voltage situations. My EMS GUARDS against, but does not try to improve the situation if the voltage goes low for an extended period.

In other words, the EMS only SENSES a low voltage condition, whereas the Hughes unit will try to FIX It. Now, my EMS would cut out in a temporary low voltage (like maybe a few seconds or so) and then re-apply the voltage immediately..... but for an extended period the EMS would not be helpful.

However, in three years of full timing, I've never had a situation where the Hughes would have been helpful. If I ever did have an hour or two of lower voltage, I would just run my generator. If in a park with a permanent low voltage issues, I would just leave, and go somewhere else.

So, too me it just wouldn't be something I'd want to spend $500 on. Maybe $100, but even then I'd probably pass.

Unless you have money to burn an EMS only setup is MORE than sufficient and I already have the EMS; PLUS they can be bought for a good bit less than the autoformer.

These are my OPIINIONS...... YMMV. Best to go with what YOU are comfortable with since it's YOUR money.

Boowho??

X2


Wayne
__________________
Wayne
15berkxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #76
Senior Member
 
iceblaze580's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Here and there
Posts: 803
I run both auto former and progressive ems never has a problem
__________________
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
I-RV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblaze580 View Post
I run both auto former and progressive ems never has a problem
Yes, we all now know that is the Gold Standard, but as best explained in post #73, the AutoFormer isn't totally necessary as is the EMS.
__________________
Gale & Hank- 2012 Berkshire 390BH
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
gasman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southwestern Mi
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger2650 View Post
davel1971:
Do you think the autoformer should be installed ahead of the EMS unit? The autoformer has surge protection also. I'm not sure it could handle either an open ground or open neutral. That is one of the questions I have for Hugh's. I'm thinking that the EMS should be used first to see weather any of the conditions exist, and if there isn't a problem, then the autoformer could be installed ahead of the EMS to maintain the voltage that the sensitive equipment require.
Thanks...........Roger
Hey Roger, did you email Hughes? I called them today and they said someone had emailed a question about whether an open neutral or open ground would harm the autoformer. I figured that it must be someone from this forum


Rich
__________________
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 125
gasman94:
I just talked to Hugh's on the phone. They filled me in on the surge and spike protection. Here goes, 733 joules/ leg equaling 1466 joules surge and 4500 amps/ leg equaling 9000 amps spike. They told me that there is no open ground or open neutral protection. That being said, I would plug in the EMS first, to check for line problems and if there aren't any, I would plug in autoformer ahead of EMS to maintain power at an exceptiable level for the electronics. How does that sound?
Did you read boowho's post this morning? I just feel good about using both of them. I would hate to be on the road and fry my sensitive equipment. There is nothing worst then having to deal with problems on the coach.
Roger
__________________
Roger2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Surge Protector... booster... or both?

I will not weigh in on what should come first(hasn't that argument been going on for a while I think it's the chicken) but I will say that Gasman's setup is the cleanest and most user friendly you will find on any MH. I always check the post with a MM anyway so no danger in putting the AF first as long as you check the post first. Anyway you do it it's great equipment to have
__________________

__________________
Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 PM.