Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2015, 01:29 PM   #81

Well guys, I think this discussion has made me ponder a few things. My setup is in place in the power bay, so although I could check the circuit integrity with my surge guard, it would entail unplugging and replugging each time, so I think I will use Phil's method and check with a multimeter before plugging in.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1440613751318.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	86974  
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #82

I have the TRC Surge Guard. Just want to give the company a shout out. Mine failed last week showing a "firmware" message on the display. I called their tech support line and the guy talked me through a reboot. All good again. I've been having it for 3 years and this is the first time I had trouble with it.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #83

Just installed the Progressive EMS HW50C unit under the inverter. Had one issue with install. The manual that came with the unit says hook black wire to L1, white wire to L2, red wire to L3 which is industry standard. Coach is actually wired with red to L1, white to L2 and black to L3. I elected to hook unit up as FR built it. Progressive has no issue with doing it that way as long as it is done the same both in L1, L2 and L3 and out T1,T2 and T3. Hope I am not confusing everyone.

Wayne
Old 09-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #84
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Just installed the Progressive EMS HW50C unit under the inverter. Had one issue with install. The manual that came with the unit says hook black wire to L1, white wire to L2, red wire to L3 which is industry standard. Coach is actually wired with red to L1, white to L2 and black to L3. I elected to hook unit up as FR built it. Progressive has no issue with doing it that way as long as it is done the same both in L1, L2 and L3 and out T1,T2 and T3. Hope I am not confusing everyone.

Wayne
Lol the ems could care less of the color of wires [emoji14]

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #85

The red and black wires are the hot ones, with 120 VAC on them (to neutral white). There probably is a standard that L1 is black, but this shouldn't matter for you with what you are now doing.

However, once your AC circuits are hot, even though red and black are 120 VAC, they are of opposite phase and you will measure 240 VAC between them. Therefore you never connect them together or for that matter to the white or green. - Hank
Old 09-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #86

Surge Protector... booster... or both?

Hank the reason I posted this was because I wasn't sure why FR doesn't follow the standard of black on L1. I do know that the front AC is on leg L2 not sure if back AC is on same leg or L1. Also opening transfer box both hots are wired the same through out so I decided to continue the same wiring arrangement both in and out of EMS which is opposite the EMS manual. Progressive did tell me whichever way you wire the EMS do it the same on both in and out.

Wayne
Old 09-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #87

Quote:

Wayne

You will be VERY happy, and like others have said, the colors are only a "standard" which has been sanctioned by the industry. However, on the readout panel the L1 and L2 *may* be reversed; not sure though.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #88

Surge Protector... booster... or both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
You will be VERY happy, and like others have said, the colors are only a "standard" which has been sanctioned by the industry. However, on the readout panel the L1 and L2 *may* be reversed; not sure though.

Boowho??

Boo I am not sure either that's one reason I left the colors the same as it was wired.

The Progressive device looks impressive I'm sure I will be happy especially when it protects the investment.

Wayne
Old 09-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #89

I just wired the progressive in my Berk.

Has anyone ran the remote wire into the coach? If so, can you tell me/post pics of where and how you got it in ?

Thanks,
Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #90

Kenny, I left my monitor in the inverter cabinet. It seemed like the most appropriate location to view when you hook up the power cord then switch the breakers on. By the way, make sure breakers are off when you plug the power cord in. For some reason if the breakers are on when you plug the power cord on the EMS has heartburn and acts all weird.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #91

Kenny I left my in the inverter compartment as well tie wrapped it to the cage in front of inverter so it is visible when I open door. I thought about putting it inside but could not figure out the best way to run it.

Wayne
Old 09-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
By the way, make sure breakers are off when you plug the power cord in. For some reason if the breakers are on when you plug the power cord on the EMS has heartburn and acts all weird.

Paul

A good idea either with or without the EMS.

Boowho??
Old 09-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Kenny, I left my monitor in the inverter cabinet. It seemed like the most appropriate location to view when you hook up the power cord then switch the breakers on. By the way, make sure breakers are off when you plug the power cord in. For some reason if the breakers are on when you plug the power cord on the EMS has heartburn and acts all weird.

Paul

Paul weird how? I plugged my coach in with breaker live and it did a check I am guessing and then the contractor clicked in. That was the first time it had ever been energized do I didn't think anything of it.

Wayne
Old 09-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
I just wired the progressive in my Berk.

Has anyone ran the remote wire into the coach? If so, can you tell me/post pics of where and how you got it in ?

Thanks,
Ken
I haven't done it, but plan to. If the power completely fails, I'd be able to deduce whether it was a full "hard" power failure or a temporary condition being handled by the EMS.

Boowho??
Old 09-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #95

I learned something of the coach today from the Progressive unit front AC is on L2 and pulls 16A and rear is on L1 and pulls 14A.

Wayne
Old 09-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #96

Quote:
Paul weird how? I plugged my coach in with breaker live and it did a check I am guessing and then the contractor clicked in. That was the first time it had ever been energized do I didn't think anything of it.

Wayne
It's doing exactly what it's supposed to do. You plugin, wait about 10 seconds and the relay pulls in (loud click) . If there's a problem, the relay is quiet and you'll get an error code.

The breaker being off just lessens the chance of something going wrong. Not necessary all the time, but a good habit to get in to and takes no extra effort at all. For that 1 time out of a 1000 where a problem might occur.

Boowho??
Old 09-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #97

15Berkxl,
The one time I plugged in with the breakers in the on position the EMS shut everything down. Switched the breakers off and then on and the EMS went through its cycle and then let power into the unit.

Paul
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:57 AM   #98

Breakers?

What breakers is everyone talking about ?

Did I miss something on my install ?

Ken
Old 09-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
What breakers is everyone talking about ?

Did I miss something on my install ?

Ken
They are just talking about the Breakers at the campground pedestal. You do make sure they're turned off before you plug in don't you?
Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
They are just talking about the Breakers at the campground pedestal. You do make sure they're turned off before you plug in don't you?
Now that I think about it, I can't think of a time where they were on when I got there, so I never imagined that's what was being discussed.

I will now make a mental note that if they ever are on to make sure I turn them off first. (sure hope I have enough brain cells left. Getting scarce)

Thanks for passing on that info !

Ken