Old 08-16-2015, 12:08 PM   #1

Surge Protector... booster... or both?

Does anyone use a EMS from Progressive Industries or a Hughes Autoformer Booster or both? Thoughts, if both and can only do one at a time, which one first?

Thanks all!

Old 08-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #2

I do not use either one but I will suggest you get the surge protector first.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantoensing View Post
Does anyone use a EMS from Progressive Industries or a Hughes Autoformer Booster or both? Thoughts, if both and can only do one at a time, which one first?

Thanks all!
Have the Progressive EMS unit..... IMHO, one of the best out there....

Does more than just surge protection; analyzes the incoming shore power for under/over voltage, open neutral (extremely important) and other items before energizing the coach. Takes about 10-15 seconds when you first plugin to actually energize the coach.

FWIW, I do not have the Hughes device. I've never plugged in where the Progressive unit indicated a low voltage; so I don't see that the Autoformer would help me at all.

Boowho??
Old 08-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #4

I have the Progressive EMS and it has saved us several times. Paid for itself several times.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #5

What type of surge protector do people suggest
Old 08-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #6

Progressive Industries for me. Once we moved to another site because of an open neutral, twice the power to the RV was cut off because of surges in line voltage. Mine is paid for.
Travel safe
Old 08-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
Progressive Industries for me. Once we moved to another site because of an open neutral, twice the power to the RV was cut off because of surges in line voltage. Mine is paid for.
Travel safe
Yes, and for those who might be "electrically challenged" an open neutral brings 240V right into your coach and burns up EVERYTHING. The Progressive unit will even cut power before any damage can happen, should the neutral become open AFTER you've been plugged in for awhile.

Other units may be just as sophisticated, but I don't if any are. You will pay around $350 for this level of protection, though.

A lot of folks don't know this, but 50A service is actually 100A service if using only 120 volts. 50A's come in on each of the two "hots" giving 100A for both sides of the circuit. So, it's been explained to me anyway.....

Boowho??
Old 08-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #8

Thanks all. BooHoo, I think both are imperative with these coaches. Seems to me we NEED the surge protection but we also NEED the voltage regulation of the Autoformers. If voltage drops due to hot days, ie. the park fluctuating as people plug in and unplug.... The A/C's, microwave, fridge, computers, etc... can burn out. There's some overlap between the devices; but, with both everything is covered! Cheap insurance even with warranties as your time in repair shop is worth something!

--Nathan
2016 38a
Old 08-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #9

When IT happens......not if! You will pay more than $350 without it. Like I said, I feel mine is paid for.
Travel safe
Old 08-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantoensing View Post
Thanks all. BooHoo, I think both are imperative with these coaches. Seems to me we NEED the surge protection but we also NEED the voltage regulation of the Autoformers. If voltage drops due to hot days, ie. the park fluctuating as people plug in and unplug.... The A/C's, microwave, fridge, computers, etc... can burn out. There's some overlap between the devices; but, with both everything is covered! Cheap insurance even with warranties as your time in repair shop is worth something!

--Nathan
2016 38a
The Progressive EMS protects against those issues. mine has saved my bacon numerous times.