Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Surprising for me, but probably not to other Berk owners

I was out in my Berk today and exercising the generator. After running the front furnace for a bit, I called for the heat pump just to see what it would to with outside temps of 30 degrees.

The heat pump came on and I asked for 71 degrees inside. It tried for 5 to 10 minutes, then said, "no way". It then automatically switched to the furnace and shut down the heat pump.

I didn't know the switch over was automatic, but was pleasantly surprised. I guess most of you knew this already, but it was a neat discovery for me.

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
2014 360 QL

yes the heat pump wont work below freezing most of the time around 34 is the cut off for the heat pump
Old 04-04-2016, 06:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by po 185 View Post
yes the heat pump wont work below freezing most of the time around 34 is the cut off for the heat pump
Yes, I knew the temperature limitations, but was surprised by the automatic switch to the furnace. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:49 PM   #4

I did not know that either. I used the heat pump a couple months ago down into the high 30s. I had heard that it was no good at those temperatures but it kept running. Nice to know it does auto switch over to furnace. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:25 PM   #5

Heat pump won't do you any good when temps get into high to mid 30's.... Furnace or electric heater (what we use when plugged into shore power) will keep things toasty... We use elec heater to conserve propane...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:14 PM   #6

I really think the cutover needs to around 42º as that is about the point the heat pump doesn't really work. I haven't found a way to change either.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:25 AM   #7

Dan; it is always nice to hear when the Berk pleasantly tickles ones fancy as opposed to problems, problems.
Hank
Old 04-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #8

As usual, I'm not very good at putting my thoughts into speech or on paper.

I know heat pumps do not work below a specific temperature. That wasn't the point I was trying to convey. I was just trying to say how surprised I was that when using the heat pump (say just prior to going to bed), if the temperature falls below the cutoff for the heat pump, it will automatically switch to the furnace without you having to climb out of bed.

I love my Berk !!!
Old 04-05-2016, 07:20 AM   #9

Great to hear you are enjoying in Ken. I wonder if the 2013 heat pumps also have the automatic cutoff/change over. I will have to give that a try. Our weather up here in the Pacific Northwest is great for heat pumps. -Glenn
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
As usual, I'm not very good at putting my thoughts into speech or on paper.

I know heat pumps do not work below a specific temperature. That wasn't the point I was trying to convey. I was just trying to say how surprised I was that when using the heat pump (say just prior to going to bed), if the temperature falls below the cutoff for the heat pump, it will automatically switch to the furnace without you having to climb out of bed.

I love my Berk !!!

Your thoughts came across just fine. I think the auto changeover of heat source is a function of the thermostat, not all will have it, and is most likely fixed setting. Agree with Accumack 42 deg is minimum operating temp, even there output is very inefficient and cost per btu is high. Better off with a space heater. Upper 40's and above the heat pump will provide. I've gotten up many times to a cold space when outside temps have dropped, the heat pump is is idling and circulating cold air.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:45 AM   #11

I wish they would put some electric heat coils in the heat pump. We bought two 1500 watt heaters and have one up front and one in the rear bath. They have kept our Berk warm when the temperature went down to 15º at night. Just make sure they are on different circuits and don't run the microwave with the front on.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
I wish they would put some electric heat coils in the heat pump. We bought two 1500 watt heaters and have one up front and one in the rear bath. They have kept our Berk warm when the temperature went down to 15º at night. Just make sure they are on different circuits and don't run the microwave with the front on.

We had two electric heaters as part of a/c units. Not heat pumps just heaters, they were useless.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote