Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2019, 11:27 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 1
Sway Bar recommendations?

i have a 2016 Berkshire...the 40 foot diesel version.
I suffer the typical white knuckle driving when trucks pass or
when i get a wind gust, etc.
i read that a sway bar assembly can help
And brand recommendations ???
waynohbayliss@gmail.com
__________________

waynohbayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Same Problem Here

I have a 2014 Berkshire that provided me with many hours and miles of white-knuckle driving. I have added many improvements that FINALLY left me with a satisfying ride.
1) First I swapped out the Goodyear tires for Michelins.
2) I added a Roadmaster blue steering stabilizer.
3) I added Koni 1020 front shocks.
4) I added Koni 1022 rear shocks.
5) Supersteer Bell Crank (made a huge difference).
6) Ride controls valves on front and rear air bags.
All these items were installed one at a time and tested for many miles before I went to the next step. I posted numerous threads on this site and thought I was the only one having the problem since I received -0- replies.
All-in-all it was a long road, but I've finally got a well behaved coach. Keep in mind that the ride is much stiffer than factory but winding roads and 30 mph side winds don't phase me anymore.

I hope my trials and tribulations helps.
__________________

cwbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:03 PM   #3
Site Team
 
dcheatwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbrewer View Post
I have a 2014 Berkshire that provided me with many hours and miles of white-knuckle driving. I have added many improvements that FINALLY left me with a satisfying ride.
1) First I swapped out the Goodyear tires for Michelins.
2) I added a Roadmaster blue steering stabilizer.
3) I added Koni 1020 front shocks.
4) I added Koni 1022 rear shocks.
5) Supersteer Bell Crank (made a huge difference).
6) Ride controls valves on front and rear air bags.
All these items were installed one at a time and tested for many miles before I went to the next step. I posted numerous threads on this site and thought I was the only one having the problem since I received -0- replies.
All-in-all it was a long road, but I've finally got a well behaved coach. Keep in mind that the ride is much stiffer than factory but winding roads and 30 mph side winds don't phase me anymore.

I hope my trials and tribulations helps.
That's good to hear. I just ordered, on recommendation from others, hellwig rear anti sway bar for my class c. High side winds scared me recently, so I'm on the path to better handling too. Thanks.
__________________
2018 Forester 3011 DS

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:31 PM   #4
Dragonship Captain
 
Oscarvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Eastern PA, USA
Posts: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynohbayliss View Post
I suffer the typical white knuckle driving when trucks pass or when i get a wind gust, etc.
Not sure that's "typical". There's hundreds of thousands of truckers out there that don't white knuckle and yes, their rigs are susceptible too.

For those that don't have any heavy driving experience these things takes a little getting used to, but with time you will compensate for external factors without even thinking about it.

Hardware will tighten the ride, but the wind and trucks will still affect you. and most "improvements" come at a cost in ride softness. Only a few that spent the money will agree with me, most believe in the decision they make, because that's what you do.

I feel Freightliner put out a nice balance between handling and comfort. I see no need to mess with it. I have other things I would like to spend money on.
__________________
Read about our 2017 38A: https://dragonship.blog/
Oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
gasman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southwestern Mi
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
That's good to hear. I just ordered, on recommendation from others, hellwig rear anti sway bar for my class c. High side winds scared me recently, so I'm on the path to better handling too. Thanks.
I'm assuming that you have a class c based on a Ford chassis. If so, my last coach was a jayco on a 450 chassis and I added helwigs to both front and rear, in addition to a Safe T plus steering stabilizer. These things made a huge improvement in the handling of the coach.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sway

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.