Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #1

Taboo subject ?

Registration !!

Going to full time hopefully within a couple of years. Really, really want to get out of Ct., but tied down for now. I cringe in giving Ct. 8K in sales tax, don't really want to add paying property tax to the city we live in also, unless we really have no choice.

Have read where some people will join an organization like Escapees and set up a domicile with them . I think Texas was the #1 spot, then South Dakota, and a couple of others.

Just wondering how many people on here if any have done this. Newbie just asking don't throw me into the flames .

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:20 PM   #2

There are a number of options.
1. Set up an LLC in Montana and pay
no sales tax. Can't remember
income tax numbers.
2. Dakota Mail through FMCA can get
you a residence in SD. Down side
is State income tax and sales tax.
3. Myrvmail.com can set you up with
Florida residence but sales tax is
6%. No tax on income.
I don't have all the facts but you could start there.

Paul
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #3

We are domiciled in Texas with Escapees. Be careful of an llc in Montana when we traveled through MN they checked our registration looking for people who did an LLC to avoid taxes. The campgrounds are given a percentage of what they recover. They checked us out and said we were fine.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:41 PM   #4

Changing your "official" residence to Texas, South Dakota or anywhere else can be risky if you are actually still a resident of CT. I AM full time now and we became SD residents less than 3 days after selling the sticks-and-bricks here in Colorado.

This Montana LLC "trick" really raises red flags in other states. Here in Colorado, the penalties are so severe you basically turn you RV over to the state if you get caught.

I'm in Colorado right now for another month, but then I'm gone until next summer.

Use your own discretion, but personally, I'd suck it up and pay.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #5

I had planned to do the Montana LLC thing but was talked out if it as to risky. We full time so paying MI plates at 900 per year was not going to continue. We did the Fl thing. We own a lot in FL so that made the most since for us. I would think about where you want to spend most of your time when not traveling and make that you residents. We saved 800 dollars a year going with FL over MI so it's great for us. We save the plates plus they have no state income taxes so we save 3.5 - 4% on that.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post

Use your own discretion, but personally, I'd suck it up and pay.

Boowho??

Unfortunately I'm thinking I will have to pay property tax here until we at least sell our home. Then possibly do the Texas shuffle .

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #7

Taboo subject ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Unfortunately I'm thinking I will have to pay property tax here until we at least sell our home. Then possibly do the Texas shuffle .

I'm in the same boat as you, currently in a Class C for vacations, but looking to move up to larger unit and either full time or at least half year in RV once I retire in about 3 years.

Escapees is probably my choice if we go full time. Otherwise if we decide to go with a sticks and bricks option we'll probably wind up in SC.

There is just no way I'm staying in CT! Also, if you establish legal domicile outside CT and still own property in CT, make sure you can document 181 days a year OUTSIDE of CT.

Wes

Niantic, Ct
Old 09-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #8

BTW, for anyone going full time, I highly recommend the Escapees organization. I've been a member since early 2012 and have made a huge number of fellow full timer friends.

I use MyDakotaAddress.com for my forwarding, etc. Teri Lund may not be the cheapest, but the service is fantastic. She even has my power-of-attorney for getting new coach tags and other state related business that does not require my presence.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:29 PM   #9

I use "America's Mailbox" for address and mail service, they are in SD. Purchased our motorhome in Tejas and paid the SD 4% sales tax...registration was very affordable also. We fulltime and rent our house out in CA.
BTW, SD is one of the seven states remain without income tax.
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:06 AM   #10

We use Escapees in Livingston TX for mail and address the county is well versed in handling Escapees. Such as jury duty when you get the notice just give them a call and tell them you are an Escapee on the road no problem a lot of other states won't let you out of jury duty.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:13 AM   #11

If you care about passing on your net worth, be sure to compare state estate taxes and in some places, even inheritance tax.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
If you care about passing on your net worth, be sure to compare state estate taxes and in some places, even inheritance tax.
By the time I go the buzzards will be tired of circling around an empty money bag and fly off to find their next prey.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40