Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2015, 06:24 PM   #1

Temperature considerations

We are thinking of staying in the New England area for a while longer, or as long as the weather doesn't get too cold. It has been dipping into the freezing zone for the last two nights around the Lancaster, PA area and have had no problem with the hoses outside so far. I'm guessing it boils down to how long the temps are at those lows with regard to them freezing up. Any advice or tips that would be wise to follow while we are in this climate zone?
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #2

We are in Concord, NC for the FCOC rally and the temps are supposed to be in the low to mid 30's here as well so you are not alone being in PA as far as the temps go. Hopefully we won't have any freezing issues here.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #3

Temperature considerations

I usually fill the fresh tank, disconnect the hose, put two utility lights underneath (one by the pump and one by the manifold) and monitor the temp with a external temp gauge read inside the coach and run two or three electric heaters inside on different circuits. Keeps the coach around 70, wet Bay around 40 and no issues when outside temp has been in the low low teens!! Turn the tank heaters on about an hour before dumping too, or just leave them on. Your valves are heated with that option so that is why I do that.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #4

I installed two lamp sockets in the basement wet bay for those early spring and late fall camping trips. I got tired of dragging the drop cord light out and worrying I might have it laying to close to something combustible. Remember when you use tank heaters there must be something in the tanks so right after you dump you cannot use them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Berkshire enhancements 4-13-15.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	92078  
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:14 PM   #5

Silver - I like it! Thanks for sharing!
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Remember when you use tank heaters there must be something in the tanks so right after you dump you cannot use them.

Silver where did you read or hear about that? Now you have me concerned I was at a camp ground Sunday night and they were calling for 36 degrees so I turned on the tank heater for the first time ever. Of course the gray tank was empty as I leave that valve open while I am hooked up. The black tank is only open when I dump but I did leave the heater on until I returned home last night even though both tanks were empty.

Wayne
Old 10-20-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

It is on the paperwork for the heaters and on the website of at least one tank heater company I have seen. They say tank damage could happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Silver where did you read or hear about that? Now you have me concerned I was at a camp ground Sunday night and they were calling for 36 degrees so I turned on the tank heater for the first time ever. Of course the gray tank was empty as I leave that valve open while I am hooked up. The black tank is only open when I dump but I did leave the heater on until I returned home last night even though both tanks were empty.

Wayne
Wayne go out and peek under your coach. If you see globs of melted plastic hanging down just go back in the house so the neighbors don't see you

On a side note it's probably fine, just don't do it again. My God there's so much to process with these. Now I need to go out to find the tank heater switch.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #9

My water pump sits in the bay that has the funky latches that accesses the tanks. Would the tank heaters be enough to protect the pump too? I know it doesn't take much to keep frost out, such as a light bulb in the vacinity, but just wondering if it is designed to heat the whole bay when tank heat is on. We got down to 29 for two nights and as JTN8 said he disconnects his water and uses the tank, how will the pump hold up?
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #10

I would say no the tank heaters if the outdated literature we all have correct are flat and the tank lays on it. The heater is temperature controlled coming on when temperature in tank drops to 44 deg F and turns off at 64 deg F.
I believe the ducts from the back furnace also are plumbed into the wet area including the pump compartment.

Wayne
Old 10-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Wayne go out and peek under your coach. If you see globs of melted plastic hanging down just go back in the house so the neighbors don't see you

On a side note it's probably fine, just don't do it again. My God there's so much to process with these. Now I need to go out to find the tank heater switch.

Joe I am hoping as I just posted that even though I had the switch on at the control panel that the temperature did not get down to 44 deg so never came on. But that assumes that information is still correct.

Wayne
Old 10-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post

Wayne
Check out FAQ on their web site

UltraHeat, Inc. - Home
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post

Joe maybe the good news is that the heaters don't work I filled the tanks with plain water and I didn't see any water gushing out anywhere I left the water overnight since the temperature is not cold enough to freeze yet levels were still full this morning. I'm still not sure what the heaters look like or where they are mounted guess I'll ask when I take the MH in next week.

Wayne