Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2015, 07:00 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by outloud View Post
If I may isn't easy to just look at the gauge to see how low it is. I think it's a 13 gallon tank, and as far as fill up use the pump. DEF in all my stops are in the truck lane anyway you have a fuel door on both sides so use the side that the DEF tank.��

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Sorry, you're right....13 gallon tank. There is an indicator light (series of progressive lights) on the inside and a gauge on the tank itself. And yes, there are fuel doors on both side, but in order to fill on the same side as the DEF at most stations, you must go into the pump areas backwards. This generally will work at a large facility when it's not busy, but you don't want to do that with lanes full of truckers waiting to fuel. I'm not so sure that many of them really like us there anyway.....

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcowles3 View Post
Thanks for the solution . Got my pump and a 5 gal container, should help me not get laughed at by others!

Just a suggestion; 5 gal. container takes up a lot of valuable cargo space. From Walmart, I got two, 2.5 gal. blue containers with spout. They fit perfectly on the top shelf of the rear passenger storage compartment. I installed a bungee across to keep them secure.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:30 PM   #23

I tried the 5 gallon tank with a funnel/pump and somehow managed to get it everywhere. Even though the 2.5 gallons cost more, I can get them started and them shove them up over the coach tank and let them drain while I pump fuel. Also, I have to go in, prepay for fuel, pump it, then go back in and prepay for DEF. It just doesn't seem worth the hassle to get DEF at the pump.

BTW, Best price I have found is $10.99 at Sam's
baddmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:39 PM   #24
Happy Keystone Owner

Back in the days before satellite diesel pumps were a common convenience for us truckers we would occasionally have to toss the fuel nozzle under the tractor to reach the other side. Will the DEF hose not reach to the other side going under the coach. I've never had to pull more than a couple feet out to reach my tank (so i don't know)but have noticed other makes of trucks that have the DEF on the right side. I can't imagine them going to all the trouble that you all are.

And, we don't mind, like we would've years ago, that you use the same facilities as truck stops are much more plentiful these days and the sitting in line 2 and 3 deep to get fuel don't happen much anymore but, do be quick if someone is waiting and always pull forward before going inside.

Sent from space

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddmann View Post
I tried the 5 gallon tank with a funnel/pump and somehow managed to get it everywhere. Even though the 2.5 gallons cost more, I can get them started and them shove them up over the coach tank and let them drain while I pump fuel. Also, I have to go in, prepay for fuel, pump it, then go back in and prepay for DEF. It just doesn't seem worth the hassle to get DEF at the pump.

BTW, Best price I have found is $10.99 at Sam's
Baddman, I do not understand "shove them over the coach tank? or what you are doing. At a truck stop there is no problem pumping diesel and DEF with one payment; its just the bad location where the MH DEF fill is.

I have been paying $2.79 for DEF at the pump. I used my own 2.5 gallon containers. Most of the time, I merely place the just filled 2.5 gallon container in the cargo compartment and then fill the DEF at my leisure, between fuel fill-ups.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Baddman, I do not understand "shove them over the coach tank? or what you are doing. At a truck stop there is no problem pumping diesel and DEF with one payment; its just the bad location where the MH DEF fill is.

I have been paying $2.79 for DEF at the pump. I used my own 2.5 gallon containers. Most of the time, I merely place the just filled 2.5 gallon container in the cargo compartment and then fill the DEF at my leisure, between fuel fill-ups.
The small containers from Peak are flexible if you take it out of the box. I take it out, get it started and after 1/4 or so I compress the container and squeeze on top of the coach RV DEF tank. It will drain slowly while I am getting fuel.

I have only gotten DEF at the pump a few times, but I have never been able to get both at the same time.
baddmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #27

Baddmann, can you reuse and refill the containers - just a suggestion. At for example, a Flying-J truck pump, you must select on the screen that you want DEF before you pump diesel. After hanging up the diesel nozzle, you need to depress the big DEF button; then the DEF nozzle will be active. You will have one bill with both diesel and DEF.

I we had the DEF tank on the drivers side, we would just pull forward a bit and then fill the DEF. However, if you pull into the lane backwards, you can do that, because we have fuel ports on both sides. As stated earlier, I go in the forward way, fill with diesel, then fill my 2.5 gal container, stick it in the cargo compartment and fill the DEF later. I used to carry two 2.5 gal containers, But I found that if I keep up with the DEF constantly filled, it worked fine - not a bad trade off, considering.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #28

Most of my trips are 300 miles or less so I carry a 5 gal container of DEF that is generally full. I usually fill it at a Pilot or Flying J. I carry it with me in my truck when we're not in the motorhome camping and fill it when it's convenient. I then top off the MH def tank. Use a smaller 1 gal container to make the transfer. Works out pretty good.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:37 AM   #29

Does the RV lanes at Flying J or Pilot have DEF pumps. That way we won't upset the 18 wheelers. Also in the back word state of Indiana non DOT rigs are not allowed in truck lanes.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:37 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Does the RV lanes at Flying J or Pilot have DEF pumps. That way we won't upset the 18 wheelers. Also in the back word state of Indiana non DOT rigs are not allowed in truck lanes.

I must be breaking all the rules. I have always used the truck lanes in Ind. No one has ever suggested that I shouldn't.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:47 AM   #31

Same here. I use the truck lanes in Indiana. I don't think the Pilot or Flying J have DEF at the RV lanes. I've checked a couple here in TN and they don't. I'm usually too concerned about access and just always go to the truck lanes. No one including truckers or the attendants have ever fussed about it. The biggest concern has been the container I'm using which doesn't make any sense since its DEF (mostly water). I use a blue kerosene container for DEF storage.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:13 AM   #32

The reason is those pumps are tax exempt
Old 04-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #33

Quote:
Of all the FJ and Pilots that I have used, I have not seen one that has DEF pumps in the RV lanes.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #34

This is the DEF jug that I use. A little pricey, but works great.
2.7 Gallon Reusable DEFJUG with DEFSPOUT - FiveStarDEF.com

Rich
Old 04-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #35

Quote:
The reason is those pumps are tax exempt

Correct, but they allow us in the lanes but charge us the tax at check out. I know this because I took my coach to the plant last week and has to fill up at the pilot just outside of Elkhart. No issues at all.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:38 PM   #36

I am by no means an expert but the location of the DEF tank is determined by the chassis manufacturer and has to be located close to engine and the ATS system. On the 2015 that happens to be on the passenger side behind the rear axle. I am sure they build all the chassis is the current model year alike so FR has to provide access to that location which explains he difficulty with the filler neck and passenger side.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #37

I started this thread, several moon's ago and have enjoyed the many responses. In particular, I like po 185 suggestion to use a battery powered transfer pump. I also like Greg Spencer's suction shower holder with a funnel.

As I mentioned earlier, I had an idea of using a 12 volt diaphragm pump. My objectives was to only have to open the DEP door and somehow mount the pump and hose in a small water tight box, mounted in the DEF bay and to the side of the hydraulics' bay's box. I hate those lift up doors that make you crawl under. There is also plenty of space to mount the pump into the hydraulics' bay, but having to open both bay doors would force me to crawl under the doors.

Well, I faced reality and went a more conservative route. I did a Rube Goldberg job and built the transfer pump on a little portable platform so that I can store it into the hydraulics'
Bay. I took 12 VDC from the hydraulics' manifold and put an inline 5 amp.fuse. From my electrical junk box, I put an inline connector (not really necessary). I used 3/8” ID vinyl hose with corbin clamps ($.68 ea. old-style auto parts store) attached to the barbed outlets on the $20 diaphragm pump. The pump does 4 liter/min.
Below are some pictures of my contraption. In my motorhome’s rearmost passenger side storage compartment, I can store a couple 2.5 gallon containers very neatly on the top shelf. It took 2 minutes to transfer 2.5 gallons of DEF. When using the transfer pump, I have the electrical line dangle out of the hydraulics' bay, with the door not securely closed. After transferring DEF, I flush the lines and pump out with water from a plastic water bottle.
I am not saying this is the best approach and only wanted to share it for reason that someone else may want to build something similar, improve or even have a better approach. I did admire the many suggestions to my thread.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2995.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	77701

Name:	IMG_2999.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	77702

Name:	IMG_3001.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	77703

Name:	IMG_3003.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	77704
Old 05-22-2015, 03:15 PM   #38

That's One Neat Pump!

Hey I-RV: That is one classy pump assembly! I'd pay good money for that (seriously), but Camco wouldn't make one anywhere near that nice, and not for less than $100 without the neat hardwood base. Good idea on the rinse-out - that urea does a number on aluminum.

Like most of us, when I need to pump DEF, I either tell the folks inside at the desk that I'm going to make a U-turn and go back into the pump lane outlet for wrong-side DEF fill-up after refueling, or if there isn't a line of trucks waiting, I just initially pull right into the lane outlet for both refueling and DEF fill-up from the passenger side. I put cones down to block the inlet, so some tired trucker doesn't inadvertently pull up nose-to-nose with me). Not everyone knows you can't back up with a toad.

I've stopped trying to ferry DEF around for "emergency use", since it has a shelf life, and fill-up from a jug is difficult (without your nifty pump). However, I'm a bit more conservative about fill-up frequency.
Hallen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #39

I'm soooooo glad I don't have to deal with this stuff.... Makes me like my 2008 Mercedes engine even more....

ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
I'm soooooo glad I don't have to deal with this stuff.... Makes me like my 2008 Mercedes engine even more....

Ya, but the upside is that there is no diesel stink. Wish they had it on the generator as well.

Rich