Old 10-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #1

The Heat

A question or two, maybe three on the heating system on the Berkshires and maybe the BH will differ from the RB models, not sure.

1. The furnaces have nothing to do with the a/c units above, meaning they don't even share the duct work ?

2. Speaking of duct work, are there more than 2 spots in the coach that puts out heat? I have 1 floor vent between bed and step up to rear bath. Then there must be a heat vent under the couch because we can feel heat coming out from under the front of it. Any besides them 2 areas?

3. Old fashion thermostat next to the fancy electronic one ( looks something like an old Honeywell ) what exactly does that operate? And is it totally separate from the electronic one ?

Thanks !!

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #2

Joe, The old fashion one is just a remote thermostat to your kitchen fantastic fan. Mine is not hooked up either.

CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Camper View Post
Joe, The old fashion one is just a remote thermostat to your kitchen fantastic fan. Mine is not hooked up either.
Ct Cam is what you refer to as the kitchen fantastic fan the ceiling exhaust fan above the kitchen ?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 10-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #4

Correct. It would work if we had a power fan open/close motor.
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Camper View Post
Correct. It would work if we had a power fan open/close motor.
So if I understand you correctly, the only thing it does is take up wall space.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 10-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #6

You need to manually open the vent in the center of the coach for it to work. Once you open it, if you push the slide on the bottom of the thermostat, the fan will go on and stay on until the room reaches the temperature that you set it at.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
You need to manually open the vent in the center of the coach for it to work. Once you open it, if you push the slide on the bottom of the thermostat, the fan will go on and stay on until the room reaches the temperature that you set it at.
Thanks Tom. I feel so much better knowing that it has a purpose.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 10-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #8

Joe your front AC/ Heater should be a heat pump and will use the AC ducts. You should also have a furnace that runs on propane that uses the floor ducts.

Depending on which unit you have it the bedroom will depend on if it has the heat pump or not. Most are the 13.5 that only have the AC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #9

Joe in my RB I have one furnace. Others have two. My one furnace will heat the MH very fast. As far as vents I have two in the living room one in the half bath all floor vents. In the bedroom I have a vent in the end of the bed and one on the shower in closure. These are small round plastic ones. All in all it is very efficient. We don't use it much because I hate buying LP but it will keep us warm and toasty.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:50 PM   #10

Joe, on our 2014 the Rear furnace feeds vents under the bed, bottom of shower surround, and in the half bath. It may also feed a vent in the undercarriage. Water tank, storage area maybe. Not sure where.

The front furnace feeds under the couch.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #11

Our 2015 with RB has a heat pump in the front but does not show a mode for a HP in the rear. I thought that was strange but then Dan maybe explained it since the bedroom furnace also provides heat to the basement plumbing areas. If you ran a heat pump in the back nothing would get to the basement. Does that sound logical or is my unit messed up?

Wayne
Old 10-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Our 2015 with RB has a heat pump in the front but does not show a mode for a HP in the rear. I thought that was strange but then Dan maybe explained it since the bedroom furnace also provides heat to the basement plumbing areas. If you ran a heat pump in the back nothing would get to the basement. Does that sound logical or is my unit messed up?

Wayne
when I need to replace my AC units I will put 15000 btu heat pumps in both spots. I am told the system will support it. We run the HP until the temp gets down to 40 or so then it's on to the furnace. When it's cold enough to freeze the HP won't work anyway. I don't like the noise so running the back when we are in the front and front when in the back is a nice advantage. The back HO isn't even an option.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:32 AM   #13

Phil the strange thing is I sent FR an email asking if there was a heat pump in the rear. They did reply after your post saying no it was optional. This is the strange part the only options I remember were the washer and dryer and the satellite dish.

Wayne
Old 10-14-2015, 10:49 AM   #14

Wayne,
It may not have been listed as optional but if you specified that you wanted one in the rear they would have installed it at extra cost.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:20 AM   #15

There have been some problems with the ducts getting pinched/crushed on the front furnace behind the couch. There is another thread about it.

Furnace outlets

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Phil the strange thing is I sent FR an email asking if there was a heat pump in the rear. They did reply after your post saying no it was optional. This is the strange part the only options I remember were the washer and dryer and the satellite dish.

Wayne

Wayne,

I ordered my coach through my friend that owns buffalo RV and Forest River agreed to all of the options I wanted that they did not offer on their build sheet as an option. My friend told me that most manufacturers will accommodate the customer. The options I asked for were readily available since they were putting them in the charlestons anyway.

Jason

JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote