Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbendr View Post
Wow those are huge heaters! I was thinking of something smaller. On a good note, we're sitting hear looking at the Mackinac Bridge through our picture window and the heater is working!

Are you at Mackanaw Mill? It's got to be cold up there. I bet that wind the last few days were murder up there. It's a beautiful spot.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:36 PM   #22

1500 watts /120 volts = 12.5 Amps
Harold Fay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnrick3 View Post
I have been about to reply to your thread for hours, then I read what other excellent posters have written and I can't add a thing that might help. We left your area a few days ago, near Grand Rapids tonight and in Elkhart tomorrow for a plant tour. Hope you can get it working before winter sets in, good thing we have common units and parts are easy to come by.
It's working tonight We were at the factory Wed, Thur, Fri and got the big stuff fixed, but they ran out of time on Fri, so we decided to tour Michigan for a few days and then head back down an finish up some loose ends before continuing our travels. Are you headed back to CA after factory?
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #24

1500 watt heater draws 12.5 amps
Harold Fay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Are you at Mackanaw Mill? It's got to be cold up there. I bet that wind the last few days were murder up there. It's a beautiful spot.
Yes it is a beautiful view and area! The bridge is all lit up and it's a clear view right now. It is a little chilly, especially with the wind coming off the lake. Are you on the west side of the state?
Old 10-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Yes it is a beautiful view and area! The bridge is all lit up and it's a clear view right now. It is a little chilly, especially with the wind coming off the lake. Are you on the west side of the state?

Yes. We are off US 131 at exit 59. Between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. The park is called Hidden Ridge. We have a seasonally lot. We will be hear until the 15th and then head for Florida.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:34 AM   #27

30 degrees F Friday night in NB. Used propane and the neighbors asked the next morning why i didnt have a radiant heater in the trailer (seasonal spot). Apparently everyone does...
Now i do.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Wow those are huge heaters! I was thinking of something smaller. On a good note, we're sitting hear looking at the Mackinac Bridge through our picture window and the heater is working!
Then take a look at this one. It is the one I use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

A lot smaller and I like the way the air circulates. Most heaters blow straight out and then the heat rises to the ceiling. Then you need a ceiling fan to get the heat down where you are at. This blows straight out across the room. It is small enough to sit on the kitchen counter, which is where I sit it.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #29

Quote:
Yes. We are off US 131 at exit 59. Between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. The park is called Hidden Ridge. We have a seasonally lot. We will be hear until the 15th and then head for Florida.
Wow, just looked at the website and location...that is a beautiful place! You stay there all summer? Are there many mosquitos when it's warm?
We are back in Elkhart today, hopefully they can finish the remaining issues between today and tomorrow, so we can be on our way.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Wow, just looked at the website and location...that is a beautiful place! You stay there all summer? Are there many mosquitos when it's warm?
We are back in Elkhart today, hopefully they can finish the remaining issues between today and tomorrow, so we can be on our way.
This year the Mosquito's have had a red cross blood mobile hooked to their backs. Extremely aggressive little buggers. It was a very wet spring and they had a good start. We really like it here and they take very good care of the park. We stay here most of the summer but we full-time so we take frequent trips just like going on vacation.
Hope they get you all fixed up. Warren is a great guy as is Chris. I'm sure you will be happy and on your way soon. Tell Randy I said hello.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #31

We are full time also, however we don't have any home bases. Since we just started we don't know where we want to spend that much time, we want to see more places. I gore they can get to everything cause we probably won't be back this way anytime soon and I will tell Randy hi for you.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #32

Quote:
I bought two tall Bionaire 1500 watt heaters. I have no idea what Amps they draw but they will not run on the same circuit. They have a safety switch on the bottom so tipping over is not a safety concern. I think I bought them at Costco.

Attachment 90599
1500 watts divided by 120 volts should give an amp draw of around 12.5 amps??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:45 PM   #33

Thanks Boo. I always forget that formula.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Thanks Boo. I always forget that formula.
You shouldn't, its only been stated about 10 times in this thread. LOL!

Bottom line, you can't run two heaters on one circuit if you are running one on high, 1500 watts setting. Not even on a 20 amp GFI which most do not have. With a 12.5 to 13 amp load there is not much more you can run on that circuit. Add anything else and the breaker will trip on time (80% X 15 = 12). At 12 amps the breaker will start to get hot and eventually trip.

Jim
Old 10-09-2015, 09:32 PM   #35

Some how your formula doesn't work. If all the 30 amp fitted RV's had only 25 amps available, there would be a lot of unhappy campers! My training was to us a full rated breaker for the circuit design and according to NEC code you the must use cable supply of load plus 15% or 34.5 amps in this case.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:28 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Some how your formula doesn't work. If all the 30 amp fitted RV's had only 25 amps available, there would be a lot of unhappy campers! My training was to us a full rated breaker for the circuit design and according to NEC code you the must use cable supply of load plus 15% or 34.5 amps in this case.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Vince,

Sense you did not quote anyone we do not know who you are commenting to or what you are remarking about.

Whose formula doesn't work, which formula are you referencing?

Jim
Old 10-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #37

Back to the original problem...heater was still inconsistent at best, it would work and then not work. We could go to bed and have it working (even cycling on and off with the set temp) but then wake up in the early morning only to find it had tried to light but failed and locked itself out. Then I would have to manually shut it off and on several times before it would light again (just blowing cold 2 or 3 times).
So we were back at FR and they ended up changing out the Domestic thermostat and it worked there, it even worked for me when checking it out. Well, it didn't last very long and it's back to its old tricks and here it is the weekend again and have to wait for Monday to go back.
Just to put this into perspective, I bought a $20 ceramic heater that works perfectly all night long, but they can't get the heater to work reliably on a $180K motorhome. Very very frustrated and dissapointed still...
Old 10-10-2015, 08:47 AM   #38

Quote:
Back to the original problem...heater was still inconsistent at best, it would work and then not work. We could go to bed and have it working (even cycling on and off with the set temp) but then wake up in the early morning only to find it had tried to light but failed and locked itself out. Then I would have to manually shut it off and on several times before it would light again (just blowing cold 2 or 3 times).
So we were back at FR and they ended up changing out the Domestic thermostat and it worked there, it even worked for me when checking it out. Well, it didn't last very long and it's back to its old tricks and here it is the weekend again and have to wait for Monday to go back.
Just to put this into perspective, I bought a $20 ceramic heater that works perfectly all night long, but they can't get the heater to work reliably on a $180K motorhome. Very very frustrated and dissapointed still...
Time to DEMAND they change the heater out, not just the stat. At the very least make them install a new control board.

Jim
Old 10-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Time to DEMAND they change the heater out, not just the stat. At the very least make them install a new control board.

Jim
That's what I was beginning to think. That should be interesting in that now they will see the quality of their own installation of the heater that the dealer had to fix (which was mickey mouse also) but at least secured.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post

Jim

With diesel division he will not have to demand anything. I guarantee Randy will be all over this Monday morning. Demanding is almost never the best approach when getting service work done. Especially at FR Diesel.