Old 02-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Dragonship Captain

The man who wrote the Allison book....

Since we were talking about Allison service vis a vis intervals, fluid and filters on this forum not too long ago I'll point to this very interesting discussion with some really good info from the man who wrote the book on the fluid....

Former Allison Transmission Fluids Engineer - iRV2 Forums

Old 02-09-2019, 11:15 PM   #2

Our baby, 21 on the 16th (born on Presidents days) is Allison. We hope that our transmission treats us like family

omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
Since we were talking about Allison service vis a vis intervals, fluid and filters on this forum not too long ago I'll point to this very interesting discussion with some really good info from the man who wrote the book on the fluid....

Former Allison Transmission Fluids Engineer - iRV2 Forums

Man that guy has some knowledge! skimmed over- I realize I will most likely never need to change my trans fluid again- and I'm going to find a fluid test company to take samples.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #4
Dragonship Captain

Yeah, that was my takeaway, provided you're running Transynd. And you DO have to change the external filter. Also, if you're not sure what's in there you'll have to do the double flush to get started. I got my coach new, and this is what the tag shows which is inconclusive. ... Gonna call FL and see if they'll swear to what they put in there....

Could save $$$ and time this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3442.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	196479  
Old 02-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
Man that guy has some knowledge! skimmed over- I realize I will most likely never need to change my trans fluid again- and I'm going to find a fluid test company to take samples.
Oil Anylizers through Amsoil can test your oils.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS "The Dog House II"
Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
EezTire TPMS
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
Yeah, that was my takeaway, provided you're running Transynd. And you DO have to change the external filter. Also, if you're not sure what's in there you'll have to do the double flush to get started. I got my coach new, and this is what the tag shows which is inconclusive. ... Gonna call FL and see if they'll swear to what they put in there....

Could save $$$ and time this way.
Interesting to hear what FL says. My 17-1/2 38A with Allison 2500 has a sticker "Important... Use ATF Dextron III or Super ATF." No other labels that I can find, so I'm assuming that my 2500 does not have TranSynd.
planopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #7
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by planopat View Post
Interesting to hear what FL says. My 17-1/2 38A with Allison 2500 has a sticker "Important... Use ATF Dextron III or Super ATF." No other labels that I can find, so I'm assuming that my 2500 does not have TranSynd.
Interesting indeed. The sticker you saw above was put on my 38A of the same year by FL.

That said, I don't care what FL says. I'm following Allison's advice. They are ultimately the ones that are going to honor the warrantee, not FL.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #8

I can't find the source, but I'm sure that my 2015 Berk has Transynd in the Allison 2500MH Transmission.

The sticker shown on the earlier spot for a fill date of 4/14/16 says that the transmission should have a TES 295 transmission fluid. Transynd meets the TES 295 specification.

Note that the TES 389 fluid specification is a lower standard than TES 295, despite the higher number in the spec. So, you can use Transynd in an older transmission that requires the TES 395 spec.

When I went to an Allison shop in Calgary to buy TES 295 spec fluid, they said they don't stock Transynd, but use BP Autran SYN-295 as their standard fluid. It also meets the TES 295 spec. So, that's what I used.

Interestingly, BP owns Castrol, so it is interesting to wonder whether there is any difference between Castrol TranSynd and BP Autran Syn 295. They have different approval numbers from Castrol.

–Gordon

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...qs-191578.html
2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote