Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #1

The more I'm in my New Berk-the less happy I am

So much puddly stuff that needs to be fixed that should have never got out of the factory as it was shipped. I totally understand there are things to fix along the way, but these issues I'm lookin at are quality control issues. I guess I just maybe expected a better quality coach over my Georgetown XL that I came out of. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8117.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	168252Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8116.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	168253Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8118.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	168254Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8123.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	168255Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8124.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	168256Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8126.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	168257Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8127.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	168258Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8128.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	168259Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8129.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	168260Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8130.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	168261Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8131.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	168262
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:12 PM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8132.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	168263Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8134.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	168264
Old 04-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #3

The more I'm in my New Berk-the less happy I am

Recliners - anchored with sheet metal screws??? Really? And they've already started falling out....
Leg rests have too long of screws and the points of the screws poke up from the bottom and poke your legs

Cracked trim in a couple of places

Kitchen drawers won't stay shut, top drawer slides out and tags the dinette and now the face of that drawer is being pulled away from drawer.

Dryer bracket doesn't fit the top of dryer, there is a 1.5" gap and the screws have all fallen out. I have attempted to repair with a piece of foam and larger screws to help hold dryer in place while rolling down highway.

You can see my attempts to keep cabinets and drawers closed and refrigerator doors while traveling.

Light bar over the bed - not a great idea....

And I really don't wanna take it to Camping world for warranty work so I'm trying fix all these things myself and I'm just irritated.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:38 PM   #4

Sorry about your problems, it’s just the way the industry is now. Quantity over quality. It does not matter what make, they take the opinion that they don’t care so why should you. Best thing to do is tell as many people about the crappy construction and hopefully sooner or later the manufacturers will stop hiring cheap labor and start valueing their potential buyers. But don’t hold your breath.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

The other thing is a thorough pdi.. We spent hours on our artic wolf before we'd talk paperwork and money. If we were not happy we were prepared to walk and they knew it.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #6

Quality Control ???????/

I found so many issues with my 2015 Georgetown I am now an EXPERT. No kidding either. I personally know every blessed square inch of my unit. I changed a backward check valve, broken kitchen sink drain line, tightened every cable connection, change most screw, and misplaced a few of my tools alone the way. My Sirius Radio unit was not connected under the dash. Just a 6 week detour and a replaced receiver to find that one. I finally gave up fretting the small issues to save time for enjoyment. Just trudge ahead and do the repairs you can handle. Were here to help, just ask.

Did I mention I found enough lose screws to make another machine along with two driver bits and some spare wire? Maybe I should return them to the factory as I did not purchase them outright.
weatherguru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #7

You sir have the right attitude!

Bet not much robs you of a fine sunset.
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #8

What model Berkshire do you have?
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #9
I Break Everything

Don't feel too bad, easier said than done as most of us know. There will always be people that tell you to check everything before you drive off the lot...Really? Of course you check everything. The RV sales industry is very unforgiving. There's an unwritten psychological "something" happening there between the salesman and yourself. Most of them will not provide you the information you need if you don't ask.

We've had a TT, two 5th wheels and now a Georgetown MH. Two of our units had almost no trouble, while the other two it was one thing after another. But, all of them had something. There was no way to tell our motorhome had a cracked axle. About two month in to ownership I noticed the front end alignment needed adjusting. We didn't go to an "RV" repair shop, I went to a "Big Truck" garage, they found we had a cracked axle. I won't go into how long it took to get a new one and finally get here.

It does happens to all of us, just fix what you can, DOCUMENT everything, Keep ALL paperwork and keep on keepin' on.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by uralman View Post
What model Berkshire do you have?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7761.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	168325

Brand new 2018 39A, came off the assembly line Nov. 1st
Old 04-15-2018, 10:27 AM   #11

Thank you all for all the replies, I was just frustrated yesterday as I was out at the unit working on the drawers issues. I think I have that issue resolved now. As soon as I signed the papers at the dealer on Knoxville, I never saw anyone again at the dealer. Ive never had a follow up phone call or anything.... just sad. I worked for Ford Motor Company for 23 years, customer service isn't what it used to be. I've been waiting for a return phone call from Mitch Wirt at FR Diesel division now almost 3 weeks, what's even worse is he called me to tell me he was gonna get me some info and call me. Oh well, it is what it is.... it's a beautiful rig and we will enjoy it!!
Old 04-15-2018, 12:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
Recliners - anchored with sheet metal screws??? Really? And they've already started falling out....
Leg rests have too long of screws and the points of the screws poke up from the bottom and poke your legs

Cracked trim in a couple of places

Kitchen drawers won't stay shut, top drawer slides out and tags the dinette and now the face of that drawer is being pulled away from drawer.

Dryer bracket doesn't fit the top of dryer, there is a 1.5" gap and the screws have all fallen out. I have attempted to repair with a piece of foam and larger screws to help hold dryer in place while rolling down highway.

You can see my attempts to keep cabinets and drawers closed and refrigerator doors while traveling.

Light bar over the bed - not a great idea....

And I really don't wanna take it to Camping world for warranty work so I'm trying fix all these things myself and I'm just irritated.

Very best advice... call factory, be polite, tell them your issues, ask if there’s anyway they can send a driver to pick up an drive to factory... they have done this for some... I still believe FR wants to make it right.. an they need to see what’s coming out of their factory... more best advice Stay away from CW...an sign up for their rally in Elkhart... they fix things at rally also.
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #13

Rally costs $600 this year!

Ford F150 5.4L B&W Companion Hitch
updated to Andersen Aluminum Ultimate Hitch 2017
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #14

I would like to thank all who responded to the quality vs quantity issues at FR. It's very sad to see all the comments about home repairs while in warranty because of crummy dealer service and lousy manufacturing practices. Pretty is what pretty does, sometimes it's pretty and crappy.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:19 PM   #15

Quote:
So much puddly stuff that needs to be fixed that should have never got out of the factory as it was shipped. I totally understand there are things to fix along the way, but these issues I'm lookin at are quality control issues. I guess I just maybe expected a better quality coach over my Georgetown XL that I came out of. Attachment 168252Attachment 168253Attachment 168254Attachment 168255Attachment 168256Attachment 168257Attachment 168258Attachment 168259Attachment 168260Attachment 168261Attachment 168262
Having owned two Cardinals, which at the time were the top-of-the-line units for Forest River, I moved to Grand Design. While there will always be something wrong with any unit, GD has real customer service, not to mention a quality control that exceeds many other brands.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
Sorry about your problems, it’s just the way the industry is now. Quantity over quality. It does not matter what make, they take the opinion that they don’t care so why should you. Best thing to do is tell as many people about the crappy construction and hopefully sooner or later the manufacturers will stop hiring cheap labor and start valueing their potential buyers. But don’t hold your breath.
I don't know that it's so much cheap labor, but rather cheap owners that don't give labor the proper time to do things rights and then pay folks to properly inspect units before they leave the factory.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #17

Thanks for your service. Quick question what GD did/do you have?
Old 04-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #18

For anyone who is in the market for a new unit, and is within driving distance of Longmont, Colorado, I highly recommend Century RV as your next dealer.

I did a two hour PDI and got everything fixed before I signed the papers. Over the next three months of use, I developed a 4-page list of 'stuff' I didn't find during the PDI.

To give you an idea of the 'stuff' on the 4-page list, the steering column boot was missing. Not something you look for during PDI, but you sure notice it when you are driving down the road. (Steering column boot: A gasket between the steering column and the floor, where the steering column goes through he floor.)
I made an appointment. Arrived. Was told when my unit would be finished. Received progress calls. Picked up my unit as forecast.

No push back. Everything taken care of.

Century services ONLY what the sell.

I also have to give a plug to FR. There was no push back from them on any of the 4-pages of warranty work.

There was even one issue that required a re-design to fix a bad-design issue. By working politely and patiently with FR (multiple phone calls to FR), we came up with a fix that the dealer could make and that would make me happy. FR sent instructions to the dealer and all was fixed. I worked directly with FR on this particular issue as the dealer really can't address design issues.

I agree that NONE of these issues should have existed. Quality control and better design should have taken care of them before my Georgetown left the factory.

However, since my dealer and FR have fixed everything I found, without objection or push back, I continue to recommend both.

As for others dealing with FR that are not getting responses, here is something to try:

When you have communicated with FR in writing and they haven't responded within a reasonable amount of time (5-10 business days), forward the same e-mail to them with a single line added . . . "2nd request" (or third or fourth or whatever is the case).

This seems to get people's attention better than a totally new e-mail.

It also documents what has been going on when you have to go 'up the line' for help.

Also, be sure to include your VIN, as FR uses the last 8 digits of the VIN in their vehicle tracking system. With your VIN, they can be looking at your unit while you are talking to them on the phone or while they are reading your e-mail.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. J. Schuler View Post
Thanks for your service. Quick question what GD did/do you have?
Thank you.

About one month ago I purchased a used 2017 GD 337rls. It was used four times before the older man had eye surgery and didn't feel comfortable pulling it anymore.

We liked the floor plan and it is only 1.5 feet longer than our Cardinal (36.5 feet) as I didn't really want anything much longer because some parks are difficult or impossible to get into with a much longer unit. What we were looking for was a unit that you didn't have to turn your neck sideways to see the television. One that had the toilet in with the 48" shower (instead of a tiny closet by itself). It has auto-leveling (that works like a charm) and a basement storage unhampered by piping and wiring. There were quite a few other "perks" and it was deal we really couldn't refuse.

My wife liked the two Cardinals we had because they both had rear kitchens with lots of counter space but this one ha an island and lots of kitchen storage plus a dedicated pantry.s

Customer Service: Call the number and a human being picks up the phone by the third or fourth ring and will put you right through to another human being that works to resolve whatever you are calling about.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Attachment 168325

Brand new 2018 39A, came off the assembly line Nov. 1st
For the money those motorhomes cost, you shouldn't have any problems.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote