Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #1

Thetford Tecma

I need some help. Our rear toilet has stopped flushing. It will only fill with water but not open the valve to send the waste to the macerater and on the the black tank. I have 13 v at the wire behind the toilet and the control panel lights up. I can't hear anything try to switch. No click or anything that would indicate a bad valve or anything trying to open. We did lose power last night and had a lot of lighting. I can't find the fuse for the toilet. I wonder if their is two power feeds one for the control board and one for the macerater. Any ideas.would be very much appreciated.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I need some help. Our rear toilet has stopped flushing. It will only fill with water but not open the valve to send the waste to the macerater and on the the black tank. I have 13 v at the wire behind the toilet and the control panel lights up. I can't hear anything try to switch. No click or anything that would indicate a bad valve or anything trying to open. We did lose power last night and had a lot of lighting. I can't find the fuse for the toilet. I wonder if their is two power feeds one for the control board and one for the macerater. Any ideas.would be very much appreciated.
Sounds as though the water valve and flap operate together maybe mechanical with a cable if necessary. The macerator starts with a limit switch during the same operation. Something says the water valve only is operating. Maybe linkage fell off or cable broke which operates the flap and electrical switch at the same time. Do you have drawings from the web?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Forget what I said a minute ago! I found the Thetford site covering this unit. Since the water valve is opening, you have power to the toilet as the water inlet is a electrical control solenoid. Nothing happens beyond that because many reasons. Tank levels maybe be telling pump not to start, either defective level sensor or tank is full (doubting). Pump motor may be burnt up (doubtful also). Control board that receives all inputs and controls outputs may be defective (likely) since operation will initiate and not carry out the order. If you are good with a meter and willing to disassemble to reach these test points you may find it. Hope this helps, site is a bit anemic and not lots of help for point to point troubleshooting, however its not that complicated either.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #4

I tried calling today to get a schematic but with no luck. I'll check with my dealer tomorrow. I wish they had better info in line. I also wish I knew where the fuse was.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #5

Quote:
I tried calling today to get a schematic but with no luck. I'll check with my dealer tomorrow. I wish they had better info in line. I also wish I knew where the fuse was.
I'd bet that your control board got fried by the lightening. However, it could be the motor itself.

After having mine completely apart, AFAIK, there are no valves on the output side. The pump pulls out the bowl contents almost like a vacuum cleaner. The only valve is a solenoid on the input fresh water side.

In the output hose there are two flapper valves, but they both face the same way and are designed (apparently) to keep "stuff" from coming back up outta the tank into the toilet bowl.

FWIW, the level of water pumped in the stool (both before and after flushing) is controlled by timing; not by a level sensor. I'm usually on about a 40 PSI water source; right now I'm on 60 PSI and I get a lot higher water level in the bowl.

Gonna have to adjust that, as it darn near overflows pushing the #2 button.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. I have the toilet out and need to take it outside to take it apart. I'm waiting for some help to carry it and will update when we get it outside.There is not a fuse for the toilet but some kind of breaker in the inverter compartment. I'm not sure what they are. Also there is only one not two power source to the toilet. I can hear the motor try to start but it does't turn or anything. Could be the motor is toast. I'm hoping when I get it apart that it's just jammed up with ... well you know.This is the mini breaker that supplies power. Thanks Mitch for your help
cid:B2583CA1-D205-486D-B3D7-82EC7DA44C1D@mifi.local

Old 05-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #7

Sorry here is the mini breakerClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399569420.669796.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	51975

Old 05-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #8

Thetford Tecma

I learned sooo much more about toilets today. The most important lesson is when you say nothing can go down the toilet but TP go thru everything in the MH and say not this or this or this. Whatever it's fixed and the macerator was just jammed. All back together and working.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #9

Quote:
I learned sooo much more about toilets today. The most important lesson is when you say nothing can go down the toilet but TP go thru everything in the MH and say not this or this or this. Whatever it's fixed and the macerator was just jammed. All back together and working.
'though I've never done it, I was lead to believe that anything organic (garbage like banana peels, potato peelings, etc, etc) could be put down it; sorta like a garbage disposal.

Boowho??
Old 05-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #10

I would strongly urge anyone thinking of using it as a garbage disposal to rethink that idea. LOL

Old 05-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #11

Quote:
I would strongly urge anyone thinking of using it as a garbage disposal to rethink that idea. LOL
So what DID you put down.... a cinder block???

I've heard the expression "s*** a brick", but I thought it was only rhetorical!!!!

Boowho??
Old 05-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #12

Oh I think that we will just leave it alone. It's done and fixed and almost positive it won't happen again. The insides are all plastic and it wouldn't take much to come apart. For some reason I figured their were metal blades that chopped the poo. It is more of a plastic pump than a chopper.