Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #1

Those of you who worked with support at Girard

What was you experience?
This week i have both sent email and left voice mail with them, and so far, no response or acknowledgement.

I was hoping to trouble-shoot mine with them.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #2

Most times I called the tech support in California they were very helpful but the last time I called and spoke with Kyle he was very short on the phone and not willing to discuss my issue. Told me that was just normal.

I think they are getting tired from all the same questions that are constantly being asked of them. The issue is with the Gen 1 and Gen 2 units that most of us are not happy with.

Keep trying to contact them and remember they are on west coast time.
Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #3

I had good relations with them. But from recent responses I don't know. I wonder if the fact that FR has gone to two different other companies now if maybe they see no reason to be so helpful. ??

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
I had good relations with them. But from recent responses I don't know. I wonder if the fact that FR has gone to two different other companies now if they see no reason to be so helpful. ??

Russell
Yea, that's what I was thinking.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #5

Ken
As of March this year, Girard placed two technicians at Goshen. They are Mitchell or Scott Thomas at 866-559-1221. I do not believe that they are intended as Girard Tech Support. They helped me once and are couple of very friendly guys. Hope this helps.
Hank
Old 07-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #6

I also had to deal with Kyle two weeks ago when our flow switch failed. I never received a call back and kept calling and hitting different extensions until I got a live person. Kyle was not that friendly and basically told me how I temporarily got my heater working was false...

I'm only 40 years old and don't think this will be my last coach and I will never buy another one with this water heater setup.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJM4 View Post
I also had to deal with Kyle two weeks ago when our flow switch failed. I never received a call back and kept calling and hitting different extensions until I got a live person. Kyle was not that friendly and basically told me how I temporarily got my heater working was false...

I'm only 40 years old and don't think this will be my last coach and I will never buy another one with this water heater setup.
I agree. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't get another coach with one of their products.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2016, 01:08 PM   #8

We've been very impressed with both the technicians' response and expertise. We have a first generation device and have had to call them at least a half-dozen times. All problems were quickly diagnosed over the phone and, mostly, the tech walked me through the fix. We needed parts twice, which were quickly sent (and the right ones). The last time (a couple months ago), I bitched about the postage fees ($20+) for an $8 part - the tech arranged for it to be sent USPS for $2. So put us in the happy-with-support-annoyed-it's-needed-so-much group!
helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #9

Maybe they're busy. So far they have ignored me for a week.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:14 PM   #10

Good response

Last week I called after hours. I got a call back first thing in the morning with a very helpful response that was way beyond what I expected.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #11

Ken, I don't know the problems that you're having, but my hot/cold issues have gone away since I switched out my camco pressure regulator to a watts high flow one. I think that I was restricting flow and causing the problems that I had.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Ken, I don't know the problems that you're having, but my hot/cold issues have gone away since I switched out my camco pressure regulator to a watts high flow one. I think that I was restricting flow and causing the problems that I had.

Rich
Thanks for the info. I have an adjustable regulator and keep it around 48lbs. High or low pressure....sometimes it works. Other times it doesn't.

I gave up on Girard. Looking to install something different.

Thanks Again,
Ken
Old 07-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Thanks for the info. I have an adjustable regulator and keep it around 48lbs. High or low pressure....sometimes it works. Other times it doesn't.

I gave up on Girard. Looking to install something different.

Thanks Again,
Ken
Ken, an adjustable regulator is just half of the story. I believe the Girard is flow dependent and even though you can control the pressure with a regulator, that doesn't mean that you have adequate flow rate.https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/ABPressure.htm
Here are the watts regulators that have higher flow. https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/P...Regulators.htm

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #14

Well, chasing my tail and looking for a more accurate water pressure regulator is not the point. I've had other campers that had simple water heaters that worked. The Girard does not as attested to by numerous posts here and elsewhere. This shouldn't even be an issue.

All I'm saying is that I'm done with Girard. I want to replace it with something that works. Something that I don't have to wrap myself in tin foil, and change my frequency while rubbing the back of my head.

I appreciate all the info given here and I've taken all the steps suggested by others. A water heater shouldn't be that difficult to get working. Hell, even when it does heat, I have to set the temp on a remote dial in a cabinet. Then in the middle of a shower, you get a blast of cold water. It just isn't right.

Sorry, I'll get off the soap box now......
Old 07-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #15

I have been all over my gen 2. I have seen the posts on pressure, air in the lines, you name it. I have a gen 2 with the flame control rheostat in my medicine cabinet. If I have no hot water, I turn on the water and remove the access panel. I turn of the the switch and then turn it back on and look for the sail ( that triangular thing in the exhaust) to come forward. The light near the switch should flash on and ignite. If not look at the white breaker (round dime size diameter) with a very small button in the middle.

The sequence I see is blower comes on, sail switch comes forward, light flashes, burner ignites.

Craig
2015 Berkshire 400QL
caflorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #16

I looked into changing mine out before I finally got the right part and it's working fine now.

When I was researching mine while in Elkhart I came across a remodeling company. They said not to mess with Girard or Atwood??

They said they would put me in a Truma (spelling). They said it was made overseas and top of the line.

I didn't get around to doing it. But now I hear FR is putting Truma's in some coaches. At least I know Bama Bob has that in his XLT. Frog Bob might too??

I would look into that if I were going to switch

Russell
Old 07-18-2016, 07:04 AM   #17

Quote:
I looked into changing mine out before I finally got the right part and it's working fine now.

When I was researching mine while in Elkhart I came across a remodeling company. They said not to mess with Girard or Atwood??

They said they would put me in a Truma (spelling). They said it was made overseas and top of the line.

I didn't get around to doing it. But now I hear FR is putting Truma's in some coaches. At least I know Bama Bob has that in his XLT. Frog Bob might too??

I would look into that if I were going to switch

Russell
I looked into that one at our local (Akron, Ohio) General RV. They had not installed one yet at that location, and I didn't want to be the "test" for them

Getting it done while in Goshen would be ideal for me.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 07-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #18

You might check with FR and see what they are putting in the XLT now. BAMA BOB put it in a post I think.

Russell
Old 07-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #19

Quote:
You might check with FR and see what they are putting in the XLT now. BAMA BOB put it in a post I think.

Russell
I did talk with Frog Bob at the tadpole rally last May.

I would love to be able to have FR put one in after the rally in Goshen, but I'm not sure how backed up they are at the factory (or if they would even do it).

Heading out today for another week long trip to mid Ohio in Amish country. Hopefully, we'll get some hot water for the shower

Thanks
Old 07-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #20

What town. I think we used to stay in a park right in Middleburg/millersburg. Not sure which

The park had free firewood. Cool.

Russell