Old 10-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
Berkshire club

Thoughts? have one?

Hey got this in my e mail thought i would toss it to the group and see what happens to me just a tad pricey and if anyone has one and what they think of it.Rand McNally RV Tablet 80 RV GPS Android Tablet

Old 10-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #2

Looks great. It is pricey.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #3

Looks interesting I wonder who makes it for them. I hope it's Garmin and not Magellan.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #4

Looks very interesting, with more options other than just navigation.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #5

I have suggested several times to them, that they make the software (only) available for Android tablets. I already have two Android tablets; I don't need another.

They already offer the software for IPad.

So, instead of software only they offer this.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I can tell you I have the garmin 760 rv lmt. The 7" screen is great but too big for the dash as it blocks my view. I've had trouble finding g holders strong enough to hold something that heavy anywhere but the dash. You will likely have the same problem with the tablet
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #7

It looks like you have to buy the app ( IOS) for 100$ then you need a GPS adapter for another 100$. One review said the adapter takes the port so you can't charge it when using it. So your at 200 and have no mount and it can't be charged. Might be better to buy the android or just buy a regular GPS for RV's.
I'm not sure all this info is correct as I got it from reviews.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
It looks like you have to buy the app ( IOS) for 100$ then you need a GPS adapter for another 100$. One review said the adapter takes the port so you can't charge it when using it. So your at 200 and have no mount and it can't be charged. Might be better to buy the android or just buy a regular GPS for RV's.
If this post is referring to using a iPad for nav, I can chime in.

Yes the Bad Elf "dongle" is about $100.00, but the dongle has a charger port in it. Plug the bad elf in to the iPad, then plug the charger into the Bad Elf. So yes, iPad is being charged while the Bad Elf is plugged in.
Bad Elf GPS for Dock Connector

As far as apps and their cost?

I mainly use Google maps and it is a free app? I have a couple of others, but have never paid over $3.00 for a gps/navigation app? But there are dozens of apps out there;
Our 2015 Mobile App Essentials for RV Travel | Technomadia

Yes you will need a mount. RAM offers several. Here is the basic unit I use.
Amazon.com: Ram Mount Suction Cup Base Car Windshield Mount for Apple iPad (RAM-B-166-AP8U): Electronics

My iPad is wireless only, so I set my iPhone as a mobile hotspot and link the iPad to it.

So why do I use my iPad / iPhone to navigate with versus a dedicated GPS unit? Two main reasons;

First, we usually take the iPad with us when we travel, just for net surfing, FB, etc. It with us anyway, why have a second piece of equipment too?

Second, I've have no less than (6) nav units from other manufacturers, ranging from the GM one in my truck, to Garmin Zumo450. Problem I have with those is you are stuck with their operating systems. Upgrades are expensive.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #9

We are staring to look for a new GPS for the RV our Garmin is 6 years old and getting a little flakey. We are thinking about getting and using an iPhone as we still have flip phones. But we are a little concerned that they are not going to be as good as a dedicated unit for an RV. Any thoughts?
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
We are staring to look for a new GPS for the RV our Garmin is 6 years old and getting a little flakey. We are thinking about getting and using an iPhone as we still have flip phones. But we are a little concerned that they are not going to be as good as a dedicated unit for an RV. Any thoughts?
If you are asking me, then I vote for iPad / iPhone. In my opinion "RV dedicated" navigation units are a sales gimmick.

Get a tablet or smart phone, a GPS dongle ad use any nav app you want.

Just my $.02 worth.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #11

Is there an RV or truck app as we like being able to set the clearance bridge/road rating?
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #12

I'm loving the Garmin , don't go out much but loving it. 7" screen can see it good, nice sweet friendly voice. Yep, just loving it !

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Say, what??? You mean the IPad doesn't have a GPS built in?

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #14

I use the Sandy she is always telling me where to go lol. If you didn't surmise that the DW.

Wayne
Old 10-17-2015, 02:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Say, what??? You mean the IPad doesn't have a GPS built in?

Boowho??

I just checked and that review I read was incorrect. A I Pad does have a built in GPS. I assume it will run that program. I might try it. My 7710 is having issues again.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #16

Quote:
I just checked and that review I read was incorrect. A I Pad does have a built in GPS. I assume it will run that program. I might try it. My 7710 is having issues again.

The problem with the IPad is you have to have cell service. It's not a true GPS. I know, we found out the hard way.
But it wasn't in Florida😏

Paul
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #17

Am I missing something here? If you want a device that gives you all the information of a GPS, why not just buy a GPS? I have two Garmin units and one Pioneer [wife's Lexus] unit. Stick with Garmin. Mine talks back and forth with me and drives the DW crazy. I named her "Darling". [GPS, not DW]
I can tell her to "wake up" and find any way point, restaurant, hospital, address, etc, etc, that I want and she takes me there and I don't even touch it. Couldn't ask for more. Still learning what all it will do!
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:58 PM   #18

Trying to save money we need to get a smart phone and want to upgrade our GPS. It would be nice to save $400-$500 being retired.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
The problem with the IPad is you have to have cell service. It's not a true GPS. I know, we found out the hard way.
But it wasn't in Florida😏

Paul
Hence the reason for the Bad Elf.

My iPad is WiFi only. No cell service. I set my iPhone as a hot spot, iPad links with it, use it for data when necessary.

The iPad uses Bad Elf for true GPS, same thing pilots use.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #20
Mod free 5er

Not wanting to drill holes in the dash or anywhere on TOWTA's old junker or my old broken down Chevy, I just made thin alum brackets and attached with existing screws. In the truck, there is a blank cavity used for who knows what that I blocked off.

Neither the Nuvi 2460 in TOWTA's junker or the dezl 760LMT in the truck vibrate or are bothered by the sun or block view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01713.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	92015   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01715.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	92017   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01714.JPG
Views:	56