Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #1

Tie rod diameter

I was going to purchase from Camping World in Akron, Oh, the Safe-T Plus for my Berk and have them install it.
I was there a few weeks ago on a Saturday, and was given a card and told to call the guy for the quote and appointment.
So far, I've sent two emails and left two voice messages letting him know what I wanted. To date, no response to either email or phone messages. I guess they're rolling in cash and don't need my business.

So I guess I'll order directly and do it myself.

I need the diameter of the tie rods for the kit. Does anyone know that or know where I would look to find that ?

Almost forgot..... 2015 Berk 400QL

Thanks,
Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #2

Hi kenny,

My 2008 would use 41-230 Safe-t-plus with bracket F143K2. If you are Amazon Prime they have the best pricing right now.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Hi kenny,

My 2008 would use 41-230 Safe-t-plus with bracket F143K2. If you are Amazon Prime they have the best pricing right now.
That was what I was going to order, when she asked me for the diameter of the tie rods.

I haven't watched the install video yet. Was it difficult ?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 05-15-2015, 06:11 AM   #4

Tie rod diameter

I reviewed the sizing charts and they only referred to Berkshire from 08 thru 11. Have there been no changes to suspensions since then.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
I reviewed the sizing charts and they only referred to Berkshire from 08 thru 11. Have there been no changes to suspensions since then.
I don't have a clue. I started this thread hoping someone knows.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 05-15-2015, 07:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
That was what I was going to order, when she asked me for the diameter of the tie rods.

I haven't watched the install video yet. Was it difficult ?

Thanks,
Ken
Hi Kenny,

I said would use. I have not installed yet. Been putting it off as I was getting front end aligned this spring and I have heard many shops will not do it with Safe-t-Plus attached.

I plan to install for the blowout safety features as my coach drives and tracks GREAT. Can drive with two fingers all day. The alignment shop I went to said the front axle was out by 1/16 of an inch causing my tire wear but as he had never driven a coach that tracked as well as mine he hated to touch it. Suggested I just rotate tires. He also does installs of Safe-t-Plus for the local Camping Worlds. Said he would not but one on my coach for handling issues. He did say the only trick for the install is the adjustment. It will take several test drives and a fraction of an inch makes a difference.

The videos on the safe-t-plus web site are very good.

BTW. Remember high school math. Use a string or something to find the circumference of the tie rod. Divide that measurement by 3.14 and you will have the diameter.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #7

Ok. Just got off the line with freightliner in Gaffney. Needed the last 6 of my VIN and they determined from the parts department that the diameter of my tie rod is 1.75". Ordering Safe T Plus they need to know also if you have air bags or leaf springs.

Paul
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:54 AM   #8

Thanks to all for the replies......

I'm starting to thinking that I'm going to go with the TruCenter. More costly, but adjustable.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 05-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #9

Several of us Berk owners have the Blue Ox Trucenter installed. Works great. Easy to adjust as you are driving due to crosswinds or road crown. Hope that helps in decision process.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Thanks to all for the replies......

I'm starting to thinking that I'm going to go with the TruCenter. More costly, but adjustable.

Thanks,
Ken
Before you buy Have you looked into the "SuperSteer Trim Unit for Safe-T-Plus Hydraulic Steering Control" Designed and offered by Henderson? Because of problems with the early TruCenters I was going to go this way. Can also do it in stages and add later or at initial installation. I thought install first then see if I needed it.

Hydraulic Steering Control - SuperSteer Trim Unit for Safe-T-Plus

I was also thinking of their "Motion Control Units"

http://www.supersteerparts.com/produ...xc.html?page=2
Old 05-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
Several of us Berk owners have the Blue Ox Trucenter installed. Works great. Easy to adjust as you are driving due to crosswinds or road crown. Hope that helps in decision process.

Did you install yourself ? If so, was it difficult ?
Old 05-15-2015, 09:00 PM   #12

I did not install mine myself but Superchief (craig) did. I heard from him the torquing of the bolts was hard and the disassembly of the original FL bolts were tough to get off. I whimped out and had mine installed by CW of which I had no problems with the one in North Charleston SC. The system works bettet than we expected.

Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:26 PM   #13

Got mine installed a year ago and love it... So much less play in the wheel. Freightliner did charge me extra for the alignment because it was there and they had to undo it then re-do it after but that was like $75 or so... FYI