Old 04-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #21

I sort of agree although I suspect there are quite a few of us (me included) who have a few cracked tiles but have decided to just not make much of an issue out of it. I have done enough tile and stone masonry work myself to know what a mess it could make to have a few replaced without a great long term result ( slight mismatches that inevitably happen arent much more attractive than some hairline cracks in the existing tiles) with no rational guarantee that future cracks won't happen. It is to some extent a flexing surface, I love the tile and if the price to pay vs a linoleum floor is one or two hairline cracks I can live with it. Of course if they widened or were big enough to collect dirt then I would feel differently. With tile there is just not usually a magical way to make a perfectly matched floor result after replacing tiles unless you were able to store away extras from the original batch and lot #. Tiles that are from the same color code can even vary slightly by size in different lots and it is almost impossible to make the grout look the same later on. I figure our few thin cracks are the lesser of the negative when picturing how bad a few mismatched tiles and grout color that doesnt perfectly blend will stand out. Just something to consider. I need to focus on getting my rattling drivers window replaced, a faulty entry step replaced, a drip from the bedroom A/C fixed and the possible need for a roof replacement where I AM very concerned about hairline cracks that are showing.
To give FR credit though Randy (thank you to another thread post which gave his contact info) did return my call and express willingness to get all of these done either at the factory or through a dealer. We shall see but I will give them a fair opportunity and the benefit of the doubt to get it done before it becomes a problem. If they can make good on all of that I won't be bothering them about a few tiles.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #22

I tend to agree with you and I looked at the tile again and will skip the replacement. It's not bad enough to risk a miss match.
I can tell you that if Randy says he will take care of something for you you can count on it. I also find that the best way to communicate with him is e mail. We have a running conversation going when getting a issue worked through. A phone call is great but not recorded and open to miscommunication. I can't say they have always moved at a speed that I wanted but it has always been done and he is usually right in waiting to get it done right and by the right people. I told Dianna tonight as we were moving out of the MH filling the car with things we will need for a week or two(we are camping in their parking lot) that we didn't expect so many issues with a new MH. We could have gotten much more for our money going used but wanted to not worry about things breaking and dealing with repairs. It's been a lot of work but we really love our travels and the Berkshire is a great MH.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #23

Thanks Phil. Our overall opinion after our first season is yes we also love the Berk and it is a great MH for the money. Buying new (a 2011 leftover) we of course were prepared for (even if unexpected )a few things that we have had to fix (such as our awning fell down and the most efficient thing to do was to fix it ourselves on the spot (with some help from a few good neighbors!)) and have tried to repair the entry step and deal with minor things ourselves but are glad to hear there is a reliable contact at the factory for a few bigger things. Hope all works out well for you and we will share our experience as well. My wife and I and our 2 1/2 year old daughter plan to enjoy lots of travels and memories on this rig for many years.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjracsj View Post
Thanks Phil. Our overall opinion after our first season is yes we also love the Berk and it is a great MH for the money. Buying new (a 2011 leftover) we of course were prepared for (even if unexpected )a few things that we have had to fix (such as our awning fell down and the most efficient thing to do was to fix it ourselves on the spot (with some help from a few good neighbors!)) and have tried to repair the entry step and deal with minor things ourselves but are glad to hear there is a reliable contact at the factory for a few bigger things. Hope all works out well for you and we will share our experience as well. My wife and I and our 2 1/2 year old daughter plan to enjoy lots of travels and memories on this rig for many years.
I too should give more credit to Randy..... IF he refuses to do something, it will be coming down from "higher authorities". Funny, how we all share certain problems.

My entry steps "clunk" all the time. I spent $140 to have it fixed by a local tech. He adjusted the mechanical linkages perfectly. He finally said the problem is the control box, which is another $160. OUCH!! I trust him completely (he's one of the best) so I'll just listen to it clunk for awhile.

Then there's the noisy drivers window. Randy offered to give me a new one, but I'd stand for the labor. A generous offer I thought, since I really don't have a warranty (bought used, from a legal standpoint.... plus original purchase date from Alvarado was 8/2011).

I opted not to swap it out right now, not because I'm cheap, but because I don't like not being able to open my window completely to lean out when backing up. My understanding is that the new window has a tiny opening (to reach out for tolls, etc) and that's it.

My biggest issues are the weight (which Randy has told me they are going to fix; same as Phil57) and the hydraulic cylinders punching through the jack pads. Four new reinforced pads should arrive today, courtesy of Equalizer Systems. I will put them on myself. NO big deal for me.

All in all, I'm VERY happy with my Forrest River Product. I know of new buyers that are so persnickety they complain to the builder of a bathroom mirror being an inch too low (and expect the builder to raise it under warranty).

Boowho??