Old 10-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Tire balancing with equal

Picked up my new coach about a week ago and immediately noticed a vibration when traveling at highway speeds. Went to a truck tire shop and they centered the wheels which made the ride better. I am trying to find a place that can spin balance the 22.5" wheels but am not having any luck. Several places have said that they use a product called 'equal'. Has anyone used this product and does it work? When I called Freightliner the tech said not to use equal so I don't know what I should do now.
Thanks for your help.

Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
I have been told it works better than "equal"

Liquid Tire Balance, 20 oz Bag, 4 Bags Per Case

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
When I had the tires changed at Freightliner in Gaffney they balanced the tires. I see some weights on my outside rear left tire. Check to see what they use as I have no vibration at any speed. Are you planning to go to Camp Freightliner? They do great service.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
We sell & install equal in commercial trucks. It is a good product, but you need to use filtered air or valve stems with a filter to keep moisture out.

Most commercial tire (truck) can spin balance the tires.
2013 Berkshire 390BH / 360hp
EJM4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Mod free 5er
Don't have a mh, but would forget the funny stuff that is added in the tires and go for a regular wheel balance. It's a tried and true method and doesn't need anything else.
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
There should be plenty of places out there that can balance that size wheel. I know GCR Truck centers can but have no idea if there is one close to you.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
I went to a number of truck tire centers and they said that they didn't have the equipment to balance 22.5" wheels. I was just at a Firestone store having some work done on my sons SUV and they said that one of their store near by could balance 22.5" wheels so I will be stopping on the way home tomorrow. Hopefully they can take care of the balancing.
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
Oklahoma Proud
I know that alot of bigger rimed comm trucks (19.5, 22.5, 24.5) use a bead kind of media to ballance the tires like dynabeads that are ceramic, heard of sand and lead shot used and even golf balls.
There are the bolt on (inbetween wheel and hub) centramatic ballancers as well- ive seen lots of these on steer tires.
- i havent recently seen any lead weights on big rig type wheels, if they are even any out there, they are getting pretty rare.

If you dont have a self centering hub or stud settup, you may have to use an adapter to center the wheel correctly on the hub.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
Centramatic is much more expensive but is mounted on the wheel. Haven't ever owned Centramatic but am considering.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote