Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #1

Cool Tire Pressure ???

Howdy All! I am relatively new to Motorhomes. I have a 2015 Berkshire XL 40BH. It arrived from the Dealer with 100 PSI in all (6) Tires. The tires say to inflate to 125 PSI Cold. I have driven it close to 2000 Miles and I am thinking about putting a Tire Pressure Monitor System in. Question is, what should I be inflating the tires to? Leave at 100 PSI or up it to 125 PSI? Thanks for any input from experienced folks out there!
FrankM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #2

Welcome Frank.
The correct answer is to first weigh your MH, then use the tire manufacturers chart to determine the best tire pressure.

That said, after weighing many of us have calculated our pressure and came up with much less than the 125 PSI Max listed on the tire. 125 will typically make the ride and handling a little rough.

There will be follow up shortly on where/how to weigh and links to tire pressure charts.

ETA: a TPMS is a great idea and many of us have them.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum. I have a '14 390fl-60 and set the pressures at 105 front and 95 rear. I had run them at 120 when I got the coach because I also saw that the sticker said 120 psi. I went to camp freightliner and they did a four corner weight and with how I had the coach loaded at that time they recommended 95 front and 90 rear....which made the coach ride nicer and handle better. I have increased the PSI since then because I now carry more weight in the coach.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:10 PM   #4

FrankM1,
First of all, congrats on your new Berkshire and welcome to the Forums. Hope you have many fun, memorable and trouble free trips with it!!!
As Dan mentioned, you should get the coach weighed with full fuel, propane, and loaded the way it would be when you are travelling. I couldn't get 4 corner weights so I just got it weighed at a truck stop. It gave me front and rear weights. I looked up the pressure and it turned out to be 90 lbs for the front and 95 for the rear. I just put 95 pounds in all the tires. Makes it easier that way. Also, a TPMS is a very good idea. I think you will find that most of us here on the FORUMS have one.
Again, welcome and good luck with your Berkshire.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:04 AM   #5

Once you given the needed data , I will put them in my made calculator and give picture of it in my answering post, with extra explanation.

Need best seperate wheel loads,2th best axle weight of vehicle in vacation loading, 3th best GAWR's and GVWR.
configuration , given already by 6 tire is or rear 1 axle dual or 2 axles single load.
And maximum speed you wont go over for a minute in your use.

From tyres : Maximum load or loadindex.
Kind of tire to determine the AT-pressure ( wich is not the maximum pressure of tyre), already given by AT-pressure of 125psi is called H- or J-load.
Speedcode of tire ( In Europe always given in letter J to R, most larger tires N ( 87m/h) or L ( 75m/h).
But if you are not shure give sises on sidewall given and as much information you think is usefull, then I will google for it. Best is to give the sises anyway, because in the larger tires there is much wrong conversion that is later corrected.

EDIT: googled your berkshire and saw picture with 1 dual axle behind.
The Pressure/loadcapacity lists given for these large truck tires mostly give 75m/h as maximum speed of tire.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire