Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 10:27 PM   #1

Tire pressure

We're about to go on our first short trip (200 miles) with our new to us 2014 Berkshire to check out the systems and electronics. What is the tire pressure that will offer us the comfort and ride that is most desirable to forum members?
We'll be putting the TPMS in after a few local trips.
Any other tire tips would be appreciated!
TIA,
Fred Hardy
Old 10-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #2

What is your tire size and have you had the coach weighed?
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:37 AM   #3

What model Berkshire? I have a 390 FL and run 95 pounds front and rear. I get a smooth ride. I also have very little in my compartments.

Russell
Old 10-30-2015, 06:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhardy View Post
We're about to go on our first short trip (200 miles) with our new to us 2014 Berkshire to check out the systems and electronics. What is the tire pressure that will offer us the comfort and ride that is most desirable to forum members?
We'll be putting the TPMS in after a few local trips.
Any other tire tips would be appreciated!
TIA,
Fred Hardy

Fred you need to get a weight done to know that. Pull onto any cat scale and for 9 dollars you can get an axel weight from there we can look up a psi for your tire size. Also what brand and size is needed.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Fred you need to get a weight done to know that. Pull onto any cat scale and for 9 dollars you can get an axel weight from there we can look up a psi for your tire size. Also what brand and size is needed.
I agree with Phil. Once you get a weight, you will know what PSI you need to run for the weight you are carrying.

AND it depends on what brand/size tire you have.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddmann View Post
I agree with Phil. Once you get a weight, you will know what PSI you need to run for the weight you are carrying.

AND it depends on what brand/size tire you have.
And how much stuff you carry (including food, clothes, water, passengers). Get it weighed loaded with what you would be carrying on your trips.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:37 PM   #7

Fred, I'm not disagreeing with anyone about getting weighed, but if there's not a weigh station nearby here is what I have learned On the forum.
Most of the post I have read on the Berkshire forum indicated their tire pressure was 90 to 100 pounds after getting weighed.
After weighing my 2014 RB I ended up using 100 in the front and 95 in the rear with full fresh water tank. I have the 275 tires.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Fred, I'm not disagreeing with anyone about getting weighed, but if there's not a weigh station nearby here is what I have learned On the forum.
Most of the post I have read on the Berkshire forum indicated their tire pressure was 90 to 100 pounds after getting weighed.
After weighing my 2014 RB I ended up using 100 in the front and 95 in the rear with full fresh water tank. I have the 275 tires.

Same here!

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #9

Thanks all! I'll run 95 psi and look for a local scale. I'll adjust after that.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhardy View Post
Thanks all! I'll run 95 psi and look for a local scale. I'll adjust after that.

Good plan Fred. If you have never been on a scale just pull onto it and if you can reach the buttons from inside great. I couldn't so I had to get out of the Moho. Just push the button and they will ask for a control number. Tell them you are a Moho and don't have one. If I remember they will give you a number When done just pull off and go inside to get your ticket with the weights. Make sure you have the from axle on the first platform and the rear on the second. The last can work for the toad if it reaches that far. I have never weighed with my toad on.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:48 PM   #11

What's wrong with the recommended tire inflation pressures on the tire placard, certification label and in your owner's manual? Has something been changed that would require higher inflation pressures? It's never recommended to use less tire inflation pressure than what has been recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for Original Equipment tires or like sized replacements.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
What's wrong with the recommended tire inflation pressures on the tire placard, certification label and in your owner's manual? Has something been changed that would require higher inflation pressures? It's never recommended to use less tire inflation pressure than what has been recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for Original Equipment tires or like sized replacements.

Tires for our Class A motorhome tires have recommended tire pressures charts based on axle weight. That is what the discussion is about. Those charts are available for other tires by manufacturers.

Paul
Old 10-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #13

I had 255s and with my weight at the top I was required to run 110psi and was over max on weight 275s you can run lower pressures at the same weight. It is all about the load.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Tires for our Class A motorhome tires have recommended tire pressures charts based on axle weight. That is what the discussion is about. Those charts are available for other tires by manufacturers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post

Paul
Here are a couple of useful references that include tire inflation pressers and procedures.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-inflation-loading.aspx

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgestone/us_eng/press/zip/WeighForm.pdf

Q: What are the consequences of inflating the tires to accommodate the actual loads?

A: If the inflation pressure corresponds to the actual tire load according to the tire manufacturer’s load and pressure table, the tire will be running at 100% of its rated load at that pressure. This practice may not provide sufficient safety margin. Any air pressure loss below the minimum required to carry the load can result in eventual tire failure. (Bottom of last page).

https://toyotires2-1524598101.netdna-ssl.com/assets/lib:toyo%20content/TSD-12-013_RV_Motorhome_Tire_Inflation_Safety_Maintenance _0.pdf
Old 10-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #15

Quote:

Airedale if you would complete your signature to include your RV make it is helpful. So many different types of RV's it's very helpful to see what you have.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #16

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf

This should explain how tire inflation for a Moho works. I have no idea what RV you have but it is standard across all Manufacturer's of Moho's and tires for Moho's to adjust the inflation for the load. Most will not set the psi exactly to the load but will and a percentage to the load to accommodate extra passengers.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #17

This is why people need to understand what forum they are in. If you don't own a class A diesel pusher you can not understand how weight dictates tire pressures within their load ranges. Lighter loads within load range on Class A diesel pushers you can run less pressure for softer ride. If you are near the max load capacity of the tire you need to run the max. Most of us have Michelin RV tires different from truck tires. I would also never run GOODYEARS too many problems over the years.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #18

Quote:
https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf

This should explain how tire inflation for a Moho works. I have no idea what RV you have but it is standard across all Manufacturer's of Moho's and tires for Moho's to adjust the inflation for the load. Most will not set the psi exactly to the load but will and a percentage to the load to accommodate extra passengers.
A pure misunderstanding. I didn't say increasing the tire pressure was not allowed. However, balancing your cargo is a better solution than overloading a tire position or entire axle.

Under inflation is anything below a vehicle manufacturers recommendation.

Over inflation is anything above the tire manufacturer's recommendation found on the individual tire.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Airedale if you would complete your signature to include your RV make it is helpful. So many different types of RV's it's very helpful to see what you have.
Who I am, what I drive, or haul has no value to the subject matter as long as I’m not quoting experience. RV tires are my specialty, all of them. I study them from the smallest to the largest including medium and heavy truck tires. I’m quite familiar with all of the DOT regulations and tire industry standards.

I don’t often provide references unless it’s necessary to justify what I’m posting. The bottom line about tires is who’s responsible. That’s the vehicle manufacturer.

All Motorhome tires (A -B - C) are initially fitted according to FMVSS 571.120.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Who I am, what I drive, or haul has no value to the subject matter as long as I’m not quoting experience. RV tires are my specialty, all of them. I study them from the smallest to the largest including medium and heavy truck tires. I’m quite familiar with all of the DOT regulations and tire industry standards.

I don’t often provide references unless it’s necessary to justify what I’m posting. The bottom line about tires is who’s responsible. That’s the vehicle manufacturer.

All Motorhome tires (A -B - C) are initially fitted according to FMVSS 571.120.
Don't take offense but: It has everything to do with it if you want any credibility. We have been bullied by others that claim to have the experience. Did you know many of us have had an upgrade in tires and front axle airbags to be legal on weight? This why we are so sensitive to people who don't own one of our coaches to come in and try to tell us what we need to do. Most of us have gone through problems that new members /owners don't have the knowledge of and want to help them by asking specific questions the outsiders have not had to deal with. That is one of the reasons I think there need to be a separate sign to get to the different model forums.
Off the soap box thanks.
Ham KG5LTL.
Closed Thread

Tags
pressure, tire