Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

If you haven't looked at a tire pressure monitoring system, it would probably be a good idea to check one out. We bought the Tire Tracker system from Lawrence RV Accessories Inc and it is well worth the cost. One of the biggest problems you can have on a motorhome is a blowout or a slow leak. Blowouts are not real common, but the slow leaks are. We have already had one slow leak that could have resulted in a very dangerous situation. If you pull a toad, the TPMS system is a must. It tells you tire pressures and temps and warns you when there is a significant variation.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390bh

I must admit that I am kind of curious that no one tows a car with a Berkshire? If you have a toad, the tire pressure monitor is a necessity and it is really recommended with just the motorhome. It can sure save a lot of grief when you have a slow leak and you don't realize it. That is exactly what happened to us in Indiana and it almost caused an accident.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #3

Ed,
Can't really say why most Berkshire owners don't tow but we bought a TPMS system shortly after I picked up my Berkshire. Besides the safety aspect, it makes checking the tire pressure a very simple task.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #4

what is a good model recommended to purchase for a TPMS without going broke doing it ?
Team Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #5

I have the PressurePro TPMS. Have had it for almost 3 years now and it seems to work just fine. It can handle up to 10 tires (6 on the MH and 4 on a towed vehicle).

Old 06-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #6

Thanks TMMAR. What is the cost approx and is it easy to install ?
Team Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We also have the Pressure Pro system, but for 16 tires. We figured we might upgrade to a MH in the future...6 tires there, plus 4 on the toad, plus spares if we want to totally monitor everything.

I think our receiving unit was $190, and $50 for each sensor. The sensors just screw onto the valve stem.

I would recommend metal valve stems on your toad (and MH if they don't already have them), as the weight of then sensor could bend the valve stem at speed due to centrifugal force.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I think our receiving unit was $190, and $50 for each sensor. The sensors just screw onto the valve stem.

I would recommend metal valve stems on your toad (and MH if they don't already have them), as the weight of then sensor could bend the valve stem at speed due to centrifugal force.
I think that I paid about the same for the setup. Having metal valve stems is a good point and as mtnguy said, just plug in the receiving unit in and screw the sensors on the valve stems. Very easy setup.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:04 AM   #9
Plug It Right

We found the TST tpms system works best for us. Cost effective, love the monitor and shows both temperature and PSI simultaneously. We've been using ours for a year to monitor 12 tires. Diana
Old 06-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
2011 Berkshire 390bh

The Tire Tracker System was just under $300 for the base unit and six sensors. One of the things I liked about the Tire Tracker is that the sensors are small and don't seem to create leaking issues with the tires. This system also gives you pressure and temp and provides warnings when all is not well.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #11

I tow w/Berkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I must admit that I am kind of curious that no one tows a car with a Berkshire? If you have a toad, the tire pressure monitor is a necessity and it is really recommended with just the motorhome. It can sure save a lot of grief when you have a slow leak and you don't realize it. That is exactly what happened to us in Indiana and it almost caused an accident.
We have a 2011 Berkshire 360 FWS and I am towing a Honda CR-V 4 down. Just came from California to Florida on the I-10. We had no problems with the tow and hardly knew it was back there. We will be going further North on the return trip and will encounter more grades but nothing I would call mountainous. I will repost with more information about the return.

Fred
Grid_Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #12

We also tow with our Berkshire ( a 2002 chevy venture, 4 down with transmission fluid circulatory pump ). So far I'm just checking the pressure at every stop, but I imagine I will be getting a TPMS that will follow the toad's pressures as well.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote