Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2017, 08:10 AM   #21

I think the TPMS system is well worth the money. Last summer I had a front break lock up on my toad (caliper froze). I found it right away because the tire temp rose very fast so I stopped to check it out. If I had driven to my next stop several hours on who knows what might have happened.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I think the TPMS system is well worth the money. Last summer I had a front break lock up on my toad (caliper froze). I found it right away because the tire temp rose very fast so I stopped to check it out. If I had driven to my next stop several hours on who knows what might have happened.
Which system were you using?
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
Which system were you using?
I believe it is EEZ Tire RV. Have had it four years now. Is very similar to TST. Both would be good. I have the user replaceable battery type.

To OP's original question I normally run about 5 degrees above ambient. I set max pressure 20 PSI above what I want and 10 PSI under for the motorhome. Plus minus 10 PSI on the toad.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #24

X50 on the TST system. Run caps on the front, outside rear, and the 4 on the jeep. I use flow thur on the inside rears. This with the original extension tubes, and the caps work with those (#$%&/*!) wheel covers. I am seeking alcoa type 16" rims! The rear inside tubes are not metal so they now have an over wrap, using the black split plastic wire protector. 15,000 miles so far, no issues. Note that this chevy came with steel valve stems....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #25

I put extenders on the front valve stems and have been able to keep wheel simulators on. Use high quality metal extenders and have had no issues. Needed them from day one to be able to get tire gauge on so have had them 9 years now with no problems.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:31 PM   #26
Dragonship Captain

For the record I had the TPMS on my fiver signal a slow leak on the center right side trailer tire. Pulled over before it failed. If it would have fialed I would probably not have noticed in time as it was 35 feet behind me on the right side..... The damage to the underside of the kitchen slide could have been substantial. I have seen pictures of that happened to others.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #27

I have flow- thru TST on my trailer... on a hot day 25 - 30 degrees above ambient is normal reading... it is also my experience that the "sunny side" is reading a bit higher... maybe 10 degrees. On a cool day, temps might be only slightly warmer than ambient. Tire failures due to temp occur at 150 to 170 and the default setting in the TPMS I have was / is 158. Temps are TMI in my opinion. I like having the monitor but not in love with the flow- thru type.
W

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:34 AM   #28

"That does you exactly no good in the event of a significant puncture."

On a towed item that is true , on the vehicle you are driving not so much.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #29

Any recommendations on tire systems that seem to work well?
roodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #30

After reading several reviews, I bought the EEZRV 4 tire system for our trailer. Allows you to set min and max pressure & temperature alarms Iike higher priced units. Easy to install.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
After reading several reviews, I bought the EEZRV 4 tire system for our trailer. Allows you to set min and max pressure & temperature alarms Iike higher priced units. Easy to install.
Remember what I said, if you've got the flow through sensor you'll need all metal valve stems.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodman View Post
Any recommendations on tire systems that seem to work well?
I think TST is a good company. This is what I have experienced:

1) first the monitor won't work on my dash, but is 100% fine sitting on the center console (must be right at the distance limit without a booster option).

2) The flow thru takes forever to add air, but...

3) you can replace the batteries yourself (CR1632) where as...

4) the non-flow-thru has to be sent to TST for a new battery.

5) The non-flow-thru has to be removed (like a large valve cap) to adjust.

I have had mine for over a year and have replaced one battery in one sensor. Knowing the pressure without having to spend the time checking before every move is great. Since, in the year I've had it I have only had to adjust pressure one time and only recently... a couple of pounds low in every tire.

I am a huge fan of TPMS and recommend having one. Its worth every penny.
W

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 01-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #33

Just a small correction here. You can change the batteries in the newer non flow-through models.
They do not have to be sent back for that.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #34

I have the EEZERV system and I see a lot of temp change relative to ambient, especially when going down a long grade. The brakes on my Class C heat up and transfer the heat to the wheels, I have seen scary high front tire temps a few times on long down grades. If you are not seeing temp changes then IMHO you don't have a good system. It's simple physics, the tires will heat up for a variety of reasons.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I think TST is a good company. This is what I have experienced:

1) first the monitor won't work on my dash, but is 100% fine sitting on the center console (must be right at the distance limit without a booster option).

2) The flow thru takes forever to add air, but...

3) you can replace the batteries yourself (CR1632) where as...

4) the non-flow-thru has to be sent to TST for a new battery.

5) The non-flow-thru has to be removed (like a large valve cap) to adjust.

I have had mine for over a year and have replaced one battery in one sensor. Knowing the pressure without having to spend the time checking before every move is great. Since, in the year I've had it I have only had to adjust pressure one time and only recently... a couple of pounds low in every tire.

I am a huge fan of TPMS and recommend having one. Its worth every penny.
W
I also like the TST system. I had the flow through but changing one by one when each flow through became defective, because of corrosion. Back to my point you still change your own battery on the 507 button caps
But you have to send the 510 system back in for that battery but it will last 5 years

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:47 AM   #36

"The brakes on my Class C heat up and transfer the heat to the wheels, I have seen scary high front tire temps a few times on long down grades."

High temperatures are the reason most chassis mfg require chainging the brake fluid every so often.

The fluid picks up moisture and if it gets over 212F the water turns to steam , and you have no brakes.

Selecting a lower gear for engine braking can help with brake /brake fluid temperatures.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOrLarry View Post
I have the EEZERV system and I see a lot of temp change relative to ambient, especially when going down a long grade. The brakes on my Class C heat up and transfer the heat to the wheels, I have seen scary high front tire temps a few times on long down grades. If you are not seeing temp changes then IMHO you don't have a good system. It's simple physics, the tires will heat up for a variety of reasons.
I had the same problem when I had a Class C. The mechanics say the breaks on Class C's are marginal (small wheels) so you have to be extra careful and have good breaks on the tow vehicle; or just unhook the tow on steep grades. Ford might have corrected the design, but the front wheels used to have polymer pistons in the front disk breaks. I had a mechanic replace mine with metal pistons and it improved wheel braking temps greatly.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #38
Dragonship Captain

Google "driveline brake".......
Old 01-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I think you have to experiment. I set my high pressure 7-8 lbs. over my desirable pressure and the system alarmed in 25-30 minutes. I jacked it up 2 lbs. and it alarmed before I got to my campground.
TST instructions ... set high pressure 20% above and low pressure 10% below your normal tire pressure (cold), which I did and my 65 psi D rated STs have operated within that range so far and through 4 seasons and 7K miles (MOL). High at 78 psi, low at 59 psi... left temp default at 158 degrees F, per instructions.
W

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 01-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I also like the TST system. I had the flow through but changing one by one when each flow through became defective, because of corrosion. Back to my point you still change your own battery on the 507 button caps
But you have to send the 510 system back in for that battery but it will last 5 years

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
You are correct WD and Dan. I only found that out yesterday when I ordered the booster and cap sensors for my 507 system. I talked to Eric. It is nice that they send spare screws, o-rings, and valve caps. I'm tired of paying $100 each for my truck so I am adding these to the truck. I just replaced my first CR1632 and ordered more from Amazon.
W

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas

Tags
pressure, tire