Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #1

Tire rotation

Some may think this is remedial but I'm curious what others are doing. I have a 2014 390-60 Berk with the upgraded Michelins. How often are others rotating the tires?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
stephencamiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:48 PM   #2

Never for me.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:33 PM   #3

I dont rotate. #1. I seem to trade too often to worry about it #2. If I didn't trade the tires more than likely will age out long before the tread wears out. ??

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:57 PM   #4

I haven't rotated tires, I'm not putting enough miles on them. Tire wear is very even, alignment seems okay, and as previously stated, I'll probably have to replace them from age rather than lack of tread.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:25 AM   #5

Never. They age out before wearing out.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:00 AM   #6

I can't find it at the moment but I saw something that the manufacturer said don't rotate.

Wayne
Old 05-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #7

Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
stephencamiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:37 PM   #8

In my opinion ... wheel covers are much more important than tire rotation on rvs.

Most rv owners will need to replace tires because of weather or sun damage on side walls long before treads wear out.
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
In my opinion ... wheel covers are much more important than tire rotation on rvs.

Most rv owners will need to replace tires because of weather or sun damage on side walls long before treads wear out.
X2 and IMHO, Magna Shade makes the slickest looking tire covers out there (I hate the look of those white "tire bags!")

Home | Magne Shade | Sunshade for RV, RV Shade, Installs from the ground, Magnetic Shade, Magnet Shade
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post

Wheel covers or white tire covers ?

RE rotating. In general, unless there is/was an alignment problem Class-A MH do not need to rotate tires.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #11

I never rotate my tires and just replaced my 22.5" tires at 44,000 miles because they started to show wear and cracking and were in the 6 year range.
Expensive but being I drive my rig many miles a year didn't want any accidents or surprises. Replace Michelin with Toyo tires. Same tire rating ply's and at least $1,400 cheaper for 6 tires.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I never rotate my tires and just replaced my 22.5" tires at 44,000 miles because they started to show wear and cracking and were in the 6 year range.
Expensive but being I drive my rig many miles a year didn't want any accidents or surprises. Replace Michelin with Toyo tires. Same tire rating ply's and at least $1,400 cheaper for 6 tires.
Hey Iggy!

Do you use tire covers? After reading tireman's blog I am re-thinking the "Stylish" covers and reverting back to the white bags.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #13

I have over 100,000 miles on 2006 T34SP. That is about 800 miles a month.
I rotate my tires every 5000 miles. This helps me find tires that are separating or just worn out, broken shackles, broken leaf springs, missing frame struts, broken welds and heck the brakes.
I still get flats, but the tire monitor lets me stop and make repairs before any damage is done to the fender wells and siding.
I pulled in to a tire shop for rotation and they found my ball receive was cracked and ready to break. They welded a new one on 8 years ago and it still is better than what came with the trailer. I have gone through two E2 Weight Distribution W/Sway Contr - 12k Trunnion hitches and just ordered my 3rd..
So use the time to rotate your tires for the underside inspection of your RV. It will save many headaches down the road.
hbdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Hey Iggy!

Do you use tire covers? After reading tireman's blog I am re-thinking the "Stylish" covers and reverting back to the white bags.
Yes I use tire covers being in Arizona with lots of heat and sun.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdiver View Post
I have over 100,000 miles on 2006 T34SP. That is about 800 miles a month.
I rotate my tires every 5000 miles. This helps me find tires that are separating or just worn out, broken shackles, broken leaf springs, missing frame struts, broken welds and heck the brakes.
I still get flats, but the tire monitor lets me stop and make repairs before any damage is done to the fender wells and siding.
I pulled in to a tire shop for rotation and they found my ball receive was cracked and ready to break. They welded a new one on 8 years ago and it still is better than what came with the trailer. I have gone through two E2 Weight Distribution W/Sway Contr - 12k Trunnion hitches and just ordered my 3rd..
So use the time to rotate your tires for the underside inspection of your RV. It will save many headaches down the road.
This is great for trailers and 5th wheels but motorhomes have a different type of tires.
They are rated for a lot more weight and higher pressures which makes them different than trailer tires.
To rotate these tires you need to have them rebalanced each time which can run into lots of $$$$.
They are designed to run 75,000 to 100,000 miles so they are a different animal.
Anyway this is great information for all.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
This is great for trailers and 5th wheels but motorhomes have a different type of tires.
They are rated for a lot more weight and higher pressures which makes them different than trailer tires.
To rotate these tires you need to have them rebalanced each time which can run into lots of $$$$.
They are designed to run 75,000 to 100,000 miles so they are a different animal.
Anyway this is great information for all.
Ya beat me to it Iggy

BTW, speaking of balancing Motorhome tires, anyone here tried balance beads?
Old 06-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Wheel covers or white tire covers ?

RE rotating. In general, unless there is/was an alignment problem Class-A MH do not need to rotate tires.
Tireman - question for you:

Magnashade [www.magnashade.com] has come out with a wheel cover (I guess that is what it would be called)

Anyway, it fits snugly over the rubber sidewall, and is made of black fabric.

On the surface, the Magnashades would seem to defeat the purpose of a tire cover (reflect UV rays, provide circulation, and reduce tire surface temperature).

What is your opinion of this?
Old 06-01-2016, 12:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Ya beat me to it Iggy

BTW, speaking of balancing Motorhome tires, anyone here tried balance beads?
I had a newer stuff added to each wheel when I had my new tires installed. The newer stuff doesn't clog the valve stems like the earlier stuff.
I'm not sure that is true but when I check or add air to my tires I always try and have the valve stem close to the top of the tire just in case.

They say after a few hundred miles of spinning the stuff gets more balanced and sticks to the low spots or whatever it does.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #19

When I picked up my current coach I immediately noticed a shimmy in the front end. I called Freightliner that same day and we tried to find a place that could balance the tires. This was near impossible to find in the location were I picked up my coach. One dealer said I should put the beads in the tire for balancing. When I spoke to the Freightliner hot line they said DO NOT put the beads in the tire. That they would ruin the tire and void any warranty. To make a long story short, it took 18 months to find out that my 2 front tires were out of round. Don't know if the beads would have helped in that case.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #20

YIKES! Thanks for the info Tom!

Scary thought voiding the tire warranty. Those suckers cost what? $500-600 each? (I have no clue just guessing)

Tags
tire