Old 02-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #1

Tire Size Concern

Good Afternoon,

I am considering the purchase of a new 43C or 45A, but have a concern about the tire size. The 275's fitted to either of these seem small when compared to the competition (Entegra, Dutch Star, Tiffin, etc.) Can these tires be upgraded to either 315's or even 365's? Any information will be helpful.

Thanks,

Warren

wjazzarajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #2
Lacey's Spring, AL

I'm sure you could 'bigger' tires on the coach, but why? The factory knows the weight and tire size needed for your coach and have installed the size that makes the best sense.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjazzarajr View Post
Good Afternoon,

I am considering the purchase of a new 43C or 45A, but have a concern about the tire size.
What is your concern?
Old 02-20-2019, 08:12 AM   #4

I guess I'm really not sure why I am concerned. If I look at other manufacturers of 45 footers, I see 315's and 365's. I guess I am concerned that this may be a cost cutting area by Berkshire? Maybe I am off base, but just a thought.

Thanks for any insight.

Warren
wjazzarajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:01 AM   #5
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjazzarajr View Post
I guess I'm really not sure why I am concerned. If I look at other manufacturers of 45 footers, I see 315's and 365's. I guess I am concerned that this may be a cost cutting area by Berkshire? Maybe I am off base, but just a thought.

Thanks for any insight.

Warren
Well, you would think that Freightliner would not send the chassis out the door if they didn't think the tires were properly sized. Let's just say you're the first one I am aware of that brings it up, and I have no evidence of it being a problem and/or people buying bigger tires.

But it's filed in my brain........
Old 02-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #6

I dont blame you for wondering if they are cutting corners to keep costs down . Most of the travel trailers should have come with a heavier duty tire.

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
I dont blame you for wondering if they are cutting corners to keep costs down . Most of the travel trailers should have come with a heavier duty tire.
Apples and kumquats.

FWIW, I'm a member of the "Blowmax" club.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
Well, you would think that Freightliner would not send the chassis out the door if they didn't think the tires were properly sized. Let's just say you're the first one I am aware of that brings it up, and I have no evidence of it being a problem and/or people buying bigger tires.

But it's filed in my brain........

Freightliner has no clue what the motor home manufacture is going to do to the chassis, case in point- my 39BH-360 was weight by freightliner and Forest River had to replace all the tires and upgrade the front air bags (previous owner and under warranty) so I would say tire size could be a concern, just have the coach weighed.

Also Forest River was not alone in the problem.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #9
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
Freightliner has no clue what the motor home manufacture is going to do to the chassis, case in point- my 39BH-360 was weight by freightliner and Forest River had to replace all the tires and upgrade the front air bags (previous owner and under warranty) so I would say tire size could be a concern, just have the coach weighed.

Also Forest River was not alone in the problem.
Actually they do. FR, like all other manufacturers, orders the chassis with specific weight capacities and dimensions. The engineers get together and agree on specs. Mike Cody and I had some discussion about that.

The problem you're talking about was specifically when the decorating/marketing people put more weight (ceramic floor IIRC?) in there than they originally planned. THAT happens at all of them too. It's a marketing driven problem. The design specs are years ahead of the final models coming out, and in the mean time the accessories arms race (Hey they have XYZ now we need to have that too) catches up.

So the tires are sent out by FL to match the axle and GVWR ratings. The sticker with these numbers over your head are FL numbers, NOT FR numbers. And I do agree with you 100% that you should weigh your coach and make sure there's not more house there than there should be.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
Actually they do. FR, like all other manufacturers, orders the chassis with specific weight capacities and dimensions. The engineers get together and agree on specs. Mike Cody and I had some discussion about that.

I agree that FL puts tires on the frame that match the weight that FR asked for- but FL has no control over how heavy the coach is built.

Which brings up the old discussion of if FR ( or all manufactures) weights each coach. The claim they do- but if they did they would not have over weight coaches built. They would have only built one.

To FR credit- they fixed every one. ( so I've heard)

Before buying my Berkshire I was on many sites- looking at different brands. Brand X had an over weight front axle- their solution was a 1500 lb rear bumper! One of the many reasons for me buying a Berkshire.

Tags
tire