Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 01:32 PM   #21

Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneLee View Post
As others have said, not a good idea. I once saw a Holiday Rambler DP in a park with it's rear wheels off the ground. A few days later, for some reason the coach shifted forward, and twisted the jacks so bad they had to call for someone to come out and remove the jacks before they could drive it. hydraulic fluid all over the place, a real mess and very expensive mistake.
Mine rolled/shifted with rear tires off ground twice. I'm a slow learner. Problem was: Shock bolt stuckout enough to really score the jackcylinder and ruin the jack seals. Last time it was a possibility. I dug holes under front tires.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeborny View Post
Salt fork is a great park for thanksgiving if weather is good! No one there so you have the place to yourself to hike.

Mike & Amy + 3 and the dogs!
2014 berkshire 390bh-40

We like it here. Usually come around July 4th. Weekdays are quiet here too.

It's pretty empty this weekend.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #23

Rear Tires Off The Ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
So we pulled into our spot at salt Fork Ohio and to level, the rear tires are off the ground by two or 3 inches. Has anyone done that before or see any harm in it since were not going to get another spot because the campground is full for the weekend
There are a lot of good campgrounds like Stone Mountain Atlanta for instance that are slanted such that the rear wheels have to come off the ground to level the rig. I just keep some large chocks and put them in place under my front wheels before leveling when I can see it's going to happen. I also bought some of the heavy rubber chocks from Harbor Freight. In rocky places you can find some small boulders to also lodge under the wheels. Furthermore, it's always good to inspect the ground where the jacks are going to land to make sure the spots are fairly level and not on the edge of sharp rocks, etc. You might even level them with a shovel first.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #24

I would recommend the following steps: First, check your technical manuals and find out if there is a procedure for re-calibrating the "zero point" where your rig is perfectly level. This needs to be done on relatively level ground - not perfectly level - but close. Most public parking lots are near enough level to do this. Using your leveling system in manual mode, and a carpenters level on the floor of your rig, adjust your leveling jacks so that your rig is in the optimum level position. Some veteran RVers I know like to have their rig leaning a degree or so to one side to assist draining rain water off the roof. I don't go that far.

Most rigs, my new fifth-wheel included, allow you to adjust the front-to-back level point first, before leveling side-to-side. Make sure when you reach the correct "zero point" that all rig wheels and tires are on the pavement.

Whenever we get to a camp site that is not particularly level, we always measure the degree of angular correction needed before we deploy any of the leveling jacks. In many cases, we simply add leveling blocks under the low side tires and leveling jacks to compensate for the degree of angularity in the camp site. By adding leveling blocks under each of the leveling jacks, we also reduce the amount of travel required for the jacks to contact the pavement. This adds greatly to the stability of the rig once set up. We never allow any of the wheels and tires to lose contact with the ground.

My wife thinks I'm a bit too much of a perfectionist on this issue, so I have to remind her that when you look in the dictionary under the term "anal retentive", you will see my picture!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:23 PM   #25

What is y I carry scrape wood. I put them under the jacks as needed. Rear wheels off the ground is bad, you could break an jack, or worse. Break a air bag, shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
outloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #26

Newbie question here-- could you use the Lego leveling blocks in a situation like this?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Newbie question here-- could you use the Lego leveling blocks in a situation like this?
What weight will they take? I bought one of those leveling ramps when I had my Georgetown. First time using it it crushed. I went back to 2Xstock. I have never seen one crush. Feel they are safer. The ramps were rated for the weight of the Georgetown.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #28

X2 to everyone that says not to lift the tires off the ground.

Another potential problem is where many have had the experience of the jack ram punching through the steel pad. When this happens on dirt or gravel, you will have a shocking experience when the ram punches through and goes deep into the ground. Now if the wheels are 3" off the ground and a punch-through happens, the motorhome will really tilt hard to the side and if you are in it when it happens, you will be changing your underwear!
Hank
Old 05-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #29
Berkshire 390QS

We carry some 2"x 8" boards that we place under any tire that is off the ground, some times it will take two and also place some under the jack pad so they don't extend too far. Have had front tire off ground and just don't like the idea.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:12 AM   #30

Tires Off the Ground

So far, the yellow blocks are holding. I also used a couple under the rear jacks too.
From now on I will have 2x12's with me.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:04 AM   #31

Can you raise it a bit higher and put a couple of blocks under the Tire's ? Then lower it back down to get a small amount of pressure under Tire's.
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #32

I think we're good until Friday morning. Blocks are working okay. They will be replaced with wood the next time.

Thanks for the reply.

Tags
tire, tires