Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #1

TOAD for 2016 38A

Howdy!

Been gone for a spell but I'm back with another question! The Mrs. wants a TOAD! What outfit/gizmo did you use for the hook-up and what are you pulling behind you!

Other then that...we love the 38A!
Bud Ezekiel H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
Dragonship Captain

You have three choices. Flat tow, dolly or trailer.

Flat tow..... Advantages... (relatively) easy hookup. Minimal added weight. Disadvantages: Limited selection of vehicles. Equipment cost, and part of it specific to THAT vehicle. Can't back it up. Wear and tear on all four corners of your TOAD.

Dolly... Advantages... (relatively) easy hookup. Less up front cost. More choices of vehicles, and change vehicle without extra cost. Wear only on rear end of vehicle. Disadvantages: Got to put it somewhere, can't back it up.

Trailer Advantages.... You can put other things in there too. You can back it up. Easy hookup, although that does not count putting the car in there. Change cars without changing equipment. No wear and tear on the car. Disadvantages.... Cost, weight.

I have a Chevy Spark. It's light, 2500#. It either goes on a light dolly or inside a large trailer when we have to haul other things. Have to watch our weight very carefully.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #3

I'm of the mindset to use a trailer because I'm always using my dual axle open bed and as you say it's easy to maneuver whether I use my truck or the MH. The Mrs. can't figure out why I'm being so stubborn about pulling a TOAD when she see's countless vehicles being pulled behind every class of motorhome there is! You know how it goes, right? If the Mrs. is happy...all is well in the world
Old 06-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
Dragonship Captain

Well, now you're outside the realm of rational decision making and I can't help you.....
Old 06-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #5

Well we wanted a Jeep and since the old ones are so stinking expensive and ? We went with a new one my car was traded so I call her mine. We are using blue ox and the patriot braking system. Also a full front cover trying to protect it. If you don’t want a huge expense find a nice older car and dolly it. Make it a convertible for fun
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #6

TOAD for 2016 38A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Ezekiel H. View Post
Howdy!

Been gone for a spell but I'm back with another question! The Mrs. wants a TOAD! What outfit/gizmo did you use for the hook-up and what are you pulling behind you!

Other then that...we love the 38A!

Just went through this.

Decided to go more economical than the 2012 Jeep Liberty we had that was towable 4 down.

Got a good trade and good deal on new 2018 Hyundai Elantra sport 6 speed. Towable 4 down. To tow basically put in neutral and take the emergency brake off-no fuses to pull, doesn’t have to be in accessory mode etc.

Decided to go 4 down overall so no messing with what to do with dolly, no straps to check or get on ground to setup. Not getting younger so easy was the goal.

Installer did blue ox base plate, tow bar. Installed the demco stay and play braking system - nothing to put on floor in car - just turn on and go. Also installed charging system to keep the Toad charged up since the braking system does use the power brakes.

Car is under 3k lbs so hardly notice it is there even behind our Forester.

After a few times hooking and unhooking - less than 5 minutes for either and good to go.

Personally glad we went this route for ease of hooking / unhooking and just put the cables in car trunk when not in use.

Braking system is not necessarily permanent but would be a chore to move. Plan on keeping the car for a long time though so went with installed in engine compartment rather than one in the floor etc.

They also ran a light to the dash of the coach so we can see when the brakes activate on the Toad.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #7

TOAD for 2016 38A

We have a Jeep Wrangler 4x4 and flat tow . Have a invisible brake sit under driver seat. It stays in the Jeep. And a Blue Ox. Tow bar.
outloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #8

our 2014 Fiesta and Focus both have worked for many, many thousands of easy miles...with a BlueOx Alpha towbar... no problems.

I think you'll find that your love of a trailer will quickly diminish as you get into the logistics of off-loading your toad at RV parks and campgrounds, and where to park this trailer. Even a tow dolly has it's drawbacks for the same reasons, not to mention the on-loading of the vehicle in the first place. Some do a trailer, but most don't, for these reasons.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #9

I’m a truck guy so when I ordered the motorhome (small) I downsized my pickup to a GMC Canyon 4x4 four door. With the bed cover I can carry lots of stuff I would would ordinarily need to carry in the motorhome or do without (like a spare tire). I knew I wouldn’t be able to back it but if I were in a back-in site I probably wouldn’t fit combined length. The four door allows me to take guests and the truck is quite utilitarian when not camping.😎
Working hard on “elderhood”
RKBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #10

Kia Soul 6 speed blue ox battery switch drill out rear tail lights for lights good to go
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #11

Use two different vehicles,2015 Subaru Forester or 2015 GMC Terrain.The Forester is a manual 6speed,while the GMC is Automatic.BlueOx tow bar and BlueOx BasePlates
oldkeywest91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:39 AM   #12

Remember, when you use a tow dolly or trailer, you now have three vehicles to contend with!
Old 06-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #13
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Remember, when you use a tow dolly or trailer, you now have three vehicles to contend with!
In some states the dolly is not a vehicle for legal purposes. My home state (PA) for instance requires no title, registration and plate.

Yes, you have to put it somewhere, but it's light enough to move around by hand and I always find a place to stuff it out of the way.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:12 AM   #14

Our toad is a 2013 Chevy Equinox. Blue Ox tow bar and base plate with roadmaster braking system. Starting out using tow dolly and I will never go back. Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #15

Well I'm not a car guy because it's easier to step down than pull myself up and out
But I also wanted to see what folks were using to connect the two vehicles together. The Blue Ox seems to be popular. Thanks
Old 06-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #16

Good Point!
Old 06-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #17

I'm leaning towards the jeep because it would save me from running my Sequoia in the desert as I do now. A rag top would be great!

Tags
toad