Old 05-23-2016, 09:55 PM   #1

Toad vehicle

Ok need some advice on a toad. I have a F150 platinum I was planning on setting up with blue OD and brake buddy and going to pull. My buddy just bought a wrangler and said I'm crazy pulling a pickup. Not sure I need or want another vehicle but I'm planning a 5000 mile trip this summer from ND to CA up the coast and home. I can probably find a cheap jeep but thoughts on just pulling the truck?

I do have the larger engine and tranny in my Berk

Thx!

Old 05-23-2016, 10:58 PM   #2

I would just told the truck. No need to go to the expense of another vehicle. A lot of people love Jeeps and think that's the only vehicle to tow.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:26 AM   #3

Over the years I've towed 5 different vehicles. Plus I have a dolly too. I've yet to tow a jeep. Lots of jeeps being towed. If I were you I just use the 150.

I have rented a jeep a couple times when I've done some off road areas.

We prefer the comfort & ease of a small car when visiting and getting around vacation areas.

Russell
Old 05-24-2016, 07:17 AM   #4

The advantage of towing a jeep is you can disengage the tranny completely. This simply allows the jeep roll freely. Also the JK have a frame still under the vehicle, they are not uni-bodied. Easy to attach a solid tow bar. Other jeep models are uni-bodied cars with a 4x4 system. Most 4x4 are essentially have 2 open differentials and are not real all wheel drives, and can get stuck in some places. If you are planning on staying on maintained roads, they will do fine.
They are fairly small and maneuverable and depending on the one you get, if you do, they can handle some rough dirt roads, but the ride will be rough, even on paved. Again depends on the model one chooses.
As for off-roading such as say Moab trails, only a few are really capable, and they are mediocre at that, unless you do some serious modifications.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabla View Post
The advantage of towing a jeep is you can disengage the tranny completely. This simply allows the jeep roll freely. Also the JK have a frame still under the vehicle, they are not uni-bodied. Easy to attach a solid tow bar. Other jeep models are uni-bodied cars with a 4x4 system. Most 4x4 are essentially have 2 open differentials and are not real all wheel drives, and can get stuck in some places. If you are planning on staying on maintained roads, they will do fine.
They are fairly small and maneuverable and depending on the one you get, if you do, they can handle some rough dirt roads, but the ride will be rough, even on paved. Again depends on the model one chooses.
As for off-roading such as say Moab trails, only a few are really capable, and they are mediocre at that, unless you do some serious modifications.
If the Ford pickup is a 4X4, you can do exactly the same with it as you do with the jeep as far as disengaging the tranny!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:36 AM   #6

Thx guys great feedback. Expansion question: road speed. There is a lot of weight difference in a jeep V's f150 how much travel speed is impacted by either. I'm a traditional speed limit guy but that can mean 75?
Old 05-24-2016, 07:37 AM   #7

I tow a Truck and love it. The bed works great for storage of bikes, firewood, bulky items and other things that you don't mind getting wet along the way. You'll never feel it behind you either.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #8

I've never had issues with any speed in all the different vehicles I've towed. I'll run 75 at times. That would be my top side.

Russell
Old 05-24-2016, 08:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfellow View Post
Thx guys great feedback. Expansion question: road speed. There is a lot of weight difference in a jeep V's f150 how much travel speed is impacted by either. I'm a traditional speed limit guy but that can mean 75?
Motorhome Magazine Dingy Towing guide is your best friend

Free download here:
http://webcontent.goodsam.com/motorh...inghyGuide.pdf

I took a look and you do not have any speed restrictions on your F150, and it can be flat towed if it is a 4X4 (Auto or Manual).

75MPH would be about my max as well. If you can keep it at 65-ish you will see an improvement in your diesel MPG.

I'd keep the truck - all sorts of uses for that open bed!!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfellow View Post
You haven't mentioned which MH that you have, Another consideration is weight. You just do not go by the hitch rating. You need to check whether you will be within the GCWR. Berks with a 2500 MH tranny will be limited to 33,000lb.
Hank

Tags
toad