Old 02-26-2015, 10:15 AM   #11

Just from what I've seen......Dolly takes longer to hook up and take down and usually requires 2 people. I can hook up in about 5 minutes and unhook in less than 5 minutes all by myself. I'm sure there are dolly users that have it down to a science, but as a novice to all of this, toad is much easier.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #12

I also tow 4 down. To me it's just a lot easier and if I get into a tight situation (and I have) where I can't make a turn and need to back up it's pretty easy to disconnect and hook back up.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #13

Congrats!!!

4 down is the way I prefer also. Car is hooked up in about two minutes and we're off. I've been towing 4 down since 2008 and never had an issue. First was a Honda CRV and now a Cadillac SRX since November of 2011.

Jason
Old 02-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #14

Towing

I can hookup or unhook in less than 5 minutes and don't have to get on my knees at any point been towing since 2004 with 4 different toads 4 wheel down is just much easier Congratulation on coach
Old 02-26-2015, 01:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
I can hookup or unhook in less than 5 minutes and don't have to get on my knees at any point been towing since 2004 with 4 different toads 4 wheel down is just much easier Congratulation on coach
Question? don't you have to get a new base plate/tow bar for each different toad and have it installed?
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #16

Congratulations on your new Berk. You will enjoy it. I have a 2013 Ford Explorer and when I bought my Berk I was sure I wanted a tow dolly. I ordered the top of the line Demco Tow Dolly and when I went to pick up the coach and dolly I found much to my surprise the the Explorer was too wide for the dolly by about 3 inches. The tread width was wider than any trailer on the market. That made the decision for me in that I had to tow 4 down. That was the best thing that could have ever happened. I got a full Blue Ox system - base plate, tow bar, wiring, harness and Patriot braking system all for about the same price of the Demco Dolly. The car tows like a dream, easy quick set up, no dolly storage to worry about, and basically totally hassle free. We have towed over 18,000 miles in the past 2 summers including through the U.S. an Canadian Rockies without any issues. To me, flat towing with all 4 down is the way to go. Good luck with your new Berk.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #17

Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
Question? don't you have to get a new base plate/tow bar for each different toad and have it installed?
Yes a baseplate has to be installed on each vehicle I had to chane one tow bar when I went to a chevy Z71 from a grand Cherokee that had to have larger towing capacity i was useing road master at that time then I started towing accura mdx which was a lighter vehicle didn't have to change tow bar just add a baseplate to accura I also towed a golf cart in back of truck what I bought it for then years later class c towing useing blue ox on toad used tow bar new baseplate on saturn I have traded or sold my rv's about every two years since 2003 you also have to wire each of them
Old 02-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #18

Congratulations on your new Berkshire, you will love it! If possible I recommend towing 4 wheels down. We have done both and four wheeels down is easier for us. Good luck, and safe travels.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #19

As I mentioned earlier; observe the interstates. You will see 4-down twenty to one over a dolly. Of course, things like a non-towable car or change frequently toad, or your personal taste may point the way.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:58 AM   #20

Since 1978 I have had six Class A MHs and towed four down, well over a quarter million miles. If your toad can be towed 4 down, that's the way I would go.

Happy Trails, Forrest

2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing