Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2015, 06:24 AM   #21

I went the dolly way. Went with the Tow Master wide model. During the summer I take the 1987 convertible with us. In January I took the Chevy Silverado 1500 with me. Have also used it to pick up a couple of cars for the son and his friends, with out the motor home.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #22

Congrads on the new Berkshire. We love ours. As to the toad. We have one car we tow 4-down and also have a dolly we tow the other car that is not towable 4-down. Very seldom use the dolly but either way works. Much simpler for us to tow 4-down.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #23

For those who say it just takes a couple of minutes, with all the cables and toad braking equipment how is that possible? Since the primary control cable is underneath the Berk bumper how do you plug it in securely without getting on your knees? I can hook mine up in about 15 minutes and that takes hustle.

Greg Spencer
2014 Berkshire 390BH-60
"Scout"

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Toad: 2014 Subaru WRX
gspencer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspencer4 View Post
For those who say it just takes a couple of minutes, with all the cables and toad braking equipment how is that possible? Since the primary control cable is underneath the Berk bumper how do you plug it in securely without getting on your knees? I can hook mine up in about 15 minutes and that takes hustle.

Greg Spencer
2014 Berkshire 390BH-60
"Scout"

I have the Blue OX Aventa LX which is hitch mounted tow bar. Unfold it, put the tabs in the base plate, put the pins in, two safety cables and a power cable and I'm done. The power cable plugs into the hitch but I just squat down, never need to get on my knees. Maybe two minutes of work and I'm done. I personally do not use a braking system (never have and my coach has never had an issue stopping) but that is a personal preference and I do know the laws for each state and requirements. My uncle uses a dolly and after he saw my set up and how easy it is, he regrets the dolly.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
I have the Blue OX Aventa LX which is hitch mounted tow bar. Unfold it, put the tabs in the base plate, put the pins in, two safety cables and a power cable and I'm done. The power cable plugs into the hitch but I just squat down, never need to get on my knees. Maybe two minutes of work and I'm done. I personally do not use a braking system (never have and my coach has never had an issue stopping) but that is a personal preference and I do know the laws for each state and requirements. My uncle uses a dolly and after he saw my set up and how easy it is, he regrets the dolly.

Jason
I can'tell imagine towing without brakes. I love my tow dolly I bought at camping world. The brakes are installed on the dolly and all I have to do is plug them in with the lighting. I have backed short distances with the dolly and can pull both vehicles that I own. Once you master the straps it's very easy. I don't get on my knees to hook up the dolly. As far as sharp corners, if you position your car or SUV correctly on the dolly, it corners very sharply. Just my 2 cents. Congrats on your new R.V. By the way, the dolly unit rolls very easily and is light enough to grab it by the hitch and roll it into your camping space. I'm 62 and wear braces on both legs. As far as storing it, I just back over most of it with my motor home.
Bubbamace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #26

Greg,

I just timed myself. 5:09 and I wasn't trying to rush. I use an air-braking system on the toad and setting that up took about 2 mins of the 5:09 to setup the inside. Outside are quick-connections. Light connections plug in and the safety cables are are easy to hook onto the hitch. Take down was much faster. Like I said before, I'm sure some dolly owners can breeze through their setups too. I've never seen a dolly toad that didn't have two people setting it up but I'm sure there are many that can do it solo. Checking the lights is the only thing I need help with.
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #27

Per my previous post I tow 4 down. My toad is a Jeep wrangler and I towed about 1 year before installing an Air Force One braking system. Can't imagine ever towing again without a braking system. Not only does it decrease stopping distance but it also features a break away braking system. The liability issues of nit having a braking system vare just too great. Why risk it! !

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #28

Okay Paulie, you can now see the greatness of the FR forum from all the actual experiences of those that have pulled a toad over many hundred of thousand miles.

When you do make your decision, please let us know what it was and your rationale.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:26 PM   #29

I dolly my car for the last year... No problems but next car will be a jeep 4 down.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #30

I also 4 down with my jeep rubi and I'm very novice as easy hook up and unhook. I would not know what to do with tow dolly but see advantages and disadvantages!! Welcome to this forum as you can always count on great advice and helpful tips.

Texas Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #31

We also tow a Jeep Wrangler wheels down using a Ready Brute Elite tow bar with a built in surge brake. It's a great combination, and eliminates the hassles of a tow dolly. The built in surge brake is quick to connect, reliable, and costs much less than a separate tow bar and braking system.

I would only consider a tow dolly if I already had a good car I wanted to keep that could not be towed wheels down, or frequently changed toads. Some vehicles such as the Jeep Wrangler must be towed 4 wheels down (or on a trailer), and can't even use a tow dolly.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #32

I can't see why anyone would need two people to use a tow dolly. On must be blind or mechanically challenged.
Bubbamace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:11 PM   #33

[QUOTE=Cornelius;794112]We also tow a Jeep Wrangler wheels down using a Ready Brute Elite tow bar with a built in surge brake. It's a great combination, and eliminates the hassles of a tow dolly. The built in surge brake is quick to connect, reliable,
What does the surge brake hook into, the Jeeps brake system? I don't see how you can have a surge brake on just a tow bar
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #34

Are you talking about ready brake system useing cable and if so do you like that better than brake buddy or even brake I have always used brake buddy but may change to ready brake

Old 02-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #35
2014 360 QL

I have a road master----brake master and I like it. it uses the brake air off the motorhome
po 185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #36

We use a Eztow tow dolly on our Berkshire. Takes 5 or 10 minutes to load a car by myself. The only negative would be in the rain. I have to get on all fours to hook the safety chains.
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:43 PM   #37

I've done both and in my opinion 4 down is the way to go. Personally I'd only dolly tow if I had a vehicle I wanted to take that could not be used 4 down.

However there are some advantages to a dolly, esp if you take different vehicles on different trips. And, I also think the convenience factory of one over the other depends on how you travel.

If you move almost every day then 4 down is much easier. But if you tend to stay a week or more in one place, it really makes no difference.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJvike View Post
Just from what I've seen......Dolly takes longer to hook up and take down and usually requires 2 people. I can hook up in about 5 minutes and unhook in less than 5 minutes all by myself. I'm sure there are dolly users that have it down to a science, but as a novice to all of this, toad is much easier.

And then there's the issue of the DW having to hook/unhook if I were to become incapacitated. She couldn't begin to handle a dolly, but easily hooks up our 4-down by herself.

Unless changing toads REAL often, the 4-down is the only way to fly. The other negative to 4-down is about triple the initial cost of dolly.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbamace View Post
I can't see why anyone would need two people to use a tow dolly. On must be blind or mechanically challenged.
Are you able to drive up on the thing without a "spotter" to keep you absolutely straight??

When I had one, I ALWAYS had to have the DW giving EXACT directions.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #40

I'm a solo act on the dolly... No issues at all, still going to go 4 down but have dolly and it's fine. I bet I can load and unload marginally slower than a 4 down. In Arizona time is heat... I'm going 4 down!

Tags
towing