Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 06:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Depends on your coach weight. You did weigh it right?
Just got it two weeks ago. Just got the info on the Ford Escape, comes in at 3526 FWD so that has to be dolly towed.

Today calling for prices on BlueOx and Patriot brake, and a Master Tow Dolly with external lighting kit.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #22

We tow a 2011 Honda CR-V but just so you know, after 2014 the CR-V went to a different transmission so it can't be flat towed.
Ford offers plenty towable cars to choose from. The Focus is real popular with RVers.
Try E-Trailer.com for tow bar/plate/hitch items for sale. Usually at a pretty good price.
The Dinghy Towing Guide is great for gathering info on which TOAD to buy. Yes, as someone said check the weight of the tow car. Yes your Berk CAN tow 4-5 thousand pounds..... now will it be happy about it??? It depends on the overall weight of your coach to start. Our Berk has the 2500 tranny, and it moves along great with the CR-V which is only about 2200 lbs.
Jeeps are very popular due to the weight and versatility.
Good Luck with your decision,
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
Just got it two weeks ago. Just got the info on the Ford Escape, comes in at 3526 FWD so that has to be dolly towed.

Today calling for prices on BlueOx and Patriot brake, and a Master Tow Dolly with external lighting kit.
Just get a Blue Ox (we have the Avail) flawless operation and what is really cool is it is impossible to bind the towbar! The other day we unhooked with the jeep at a angle and on a slope - piece of cake.

Other Blue Ox advantage is, if they show up at a rally, they will give your hitch a free tune up and if you go to their factory (free RV park on premises) they will completely rebuild your tow bar for $30. Sweet deal!

Brake. Good to see you are installing one. A lot of folks don't (which I believe is a mistake). I realize I may be in the minority here but we use a SMI Air Force 1 brake. Love it. Only truly proportional air braking system out there (and since your Berk has air brakes, why not use the same system to brake your TOAD?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Just get a Blue Ox (we have the Avail) flawless operation and what is really cool is it is impossible to bind the towbar! The other day we unhooked with the jeep at a angle and on a slope - piece of cake.

Other Blue Ox advantage is, if they show up at a rally, they will give your hitch a free tune up and if you go to their factory (free RV park on premises) they will completely rebuild your tow bar for $30. Sweet deal!

Brake. Good to see you are installing one. A lot of folks don't (which I believe is a mistake). I realize I may be in the minority here but we use a SMI Air Force 1 brake. Love it. Only truly proportional air braking system out there (and since your Berk has air brakes, why not use the same system to brake your TOAD?
Thank you for the info, I will look into the Air Force 1 system
Old 07-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Now I am really confused....Ford Explorer with a 3.5L
fwd/awd comes in at 4,633 lbs. Will that keep me under 33,000???
Joe and Kathy
There are two limits on how heavy your toad can be. The first is the hitch rating and the second is the GCWR which is on a placard in the cabinet above the driver. GCWR is the total weight of toad and fully loaded motorhome (people, fuel, cargo, water and moho). I believe that GCWR for your motorhome is 33,000 lbs. This is also the limit of the Allison 2500MH tranny.

You should weigh your motorhome (fully loaded) at a truck stop CAT scale. Then you can see what weight your toad can be. Weighing your rig at a CAT scale is also a good idea to see what the proper inflation of your tires should be. Proper tire inflation is foremost a most essential safety consideration.
Hank
Old 07-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Joe and Kathy
There are two limits on how heavy your toad can be. The first is the hitch rating and the second is the GCWR which is on a placard in the cabinet above the driver. GCWR is the total weight of toad and fully loaded motorhome (people, fuel, cargo, water and moho). I believe that GCWR for your motorhome is 33,000 lbs. This is also the limit of the Allison 2500MH tranny.

You should weigh your motorhome (fully loaded) at a truck stop CAT scale. Then you can see what weight your toad can be. Weighing your rig at a CAT scale is also a good idea to see what the proper inflation of your tires should be. Proper tire inflation is foremost a most essential safety consideration.
Hank
Looks the its a Reese Hitch 5,000 lb cap.. Tires say 110 psi
Yes, I will weigh the next time out. Pilot truck stops have those scales.

Almost seems like it is better to rent a car at your destination..

Thanks for the info..
Old 07-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Looks the its a Reese Hitch 5,000 lb cap.. Tires say 110 psi
Yes, I will weigh the next time out. Pilot truck stops have those scales.

Almost seems like it is better to rent a car at your destination..

Thanks for the info..
Joe and Kathy
The tires do not tell you what the inflation should be. The imprinted inflation on the tires is the tire maximum pressure for its maximum rated load. You need to look up the chart for your particular tire manufacture and size and then see what the pressure should be for the weight you measured on the scales. Having the tires pressure above what is necessary will give you a hard ride and wear the center of the tires.The tires should be filled to the chart spec. when cold (not driven or in the heat of the day).
Hank
Old 07-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #28

Quote:

I may not be following this correctly but why would you need a braking system if you are using a tow dolly?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #29

Phill, I wondered that too for a minute. I believe he's just comparing what it would cost to go each way.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Phill, I wondered that too for a minute. I believe he's just comparing what it would cost to go each way.
Yes, I was trying to compare the costs to of a (Tow Dolly), and of a system like (blue-Ox)

I do appreciate everyone's input on this thread and I do Thank you all..

Tags
towing