Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #1

Arrow Towing packages for the berkshire

Hello,
I wonder if anyone can help me with my choice of towing package for my Berkshire 390bh 2011...it is the larger engine 360 and can tow up to 10k lbs...I have a 2012 ford F150 which can run 4 down no probs...

I have been quoted the blue ox system which can accommodate the truck, but they are suggesting I get a braking system in the truck too...

Question is, do I need the braking system in the truck? Is this a good option? they are quoting $2500 to buy and fit this and about another $1450 for the truck braking system...would this be correct?

We travel all over the US in our bus and love it...but now we need that towing thing to happen...

can anyone help?!

Thanks so much in advance!

Tony & Terri
tunatater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390BH

I also have a Berkshire, but it is a 2011 390BH with the smaller Engine. I tow a Honda CRV with the Blue Ox setup. I also use the Patriot Braking System. The cost of my system was about $4000, so you are in the ball park. The Blue Ox system is very easy to use and I don't even notice that I pulling anything. I can usually attach the system in about 5 minutes. As for the Brake System, it takes me a little longer, if I do it by myself (got to keep checking to see if the brake light is on or off). I went with diod lights also. As for the braking system, it is required in many States, based on the weight that you are towing. I didn't have second thoughts on getting it. To me it is a safety issue. Good Luck!

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #3

thanks so much...I know the safety issue is the thing, isn't it? When I was talking with the guy who was gonna fit it, he was saying as i have an engine braking system on my rv and also the bigger engine, he felt that it would be ok...although he wasn't sure of the rules in various states...

Thanks so much for your suggestions for sure...
Tony
Old 06-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #4

That price sounds too high. Check out the Readybrute elite towbar system. $700 gets you a towbar and mechanical brake. Installation is a little more involved but it adds 2 seconds to the hookup time when complete. Add $400 for a baseplate and whateve you decide for tow lights plus installation if you cant do it yourself.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Your welcome. Here is a website that outlines towing requirements for each State.
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #6

thanks so much guys..

Ron, it says that the ready brute is rated for 8000lbs towing, and my f150 is said to be 7800lbs...is that margin too tight would you think?
The thing with the blue ox was that it was 10k lbs..and so i was erring on that bit of caution...do you have any thoughts to that?

Thanks for all your help...it's been fun researching this ready brute..i am excited if it can work!

Cheers
Tony
Old 06-20-2012, 03:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunatater View Post
thanks so much guys..

Ron, it says that the ready brute is rated for 8000lbs towing, and my f150 is said to be 7800lbs...is that margin too tight would you think?
The thing with the blue ox was that it was 10k lbs..and so i was erring on that bit of caution...do you have any thoughts to that?

Thanks for all your help...it's been fun researching this ready brute..i am excited if it can work!

Cheers
Tony
The 7800 lbs is probably GVWR on the F150. Empty it should be closer to 5000lbs curb (depending on options and cab style) + anything you add to that.

This is not to discourage you from the 10k bar, but an 8k bar should be more than suitable for that application since I don't think you will have a full payload in the truck.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #8

I also doubt the f150 weighs 7800lbs. You should be able to find the empty weight in the owners manual and it should be well below that.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #9

I have the Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. I also would not tow without a suplimental braking system. I have the Brake Buddy Vantage and it works great. My dealer installed the Blue Ox tow system for $2K including all safety chains and electronics. I bought the Brake Buddy Vantage online for $1k
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire, towing