Old 07-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #11
For the cost, hassle, and storage requirements of a trailer you can buy another used car just to tow and still have money to spare. My opinion, of course, and will reduce the wear and tear on your Versa.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forest River Forums

rbneron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #12
JJ - Thanks for the comments and info. As you stated in your edit, the Venza cannot be towed at all. We bought the car before the MH so towing wasn't even a consideration at that time. There are many vehicles that can technically be towed and I have seen them towed as well, But, if the manufacturer says no in the manual, you are on your own if/when something goes wrong. We looked at a Honda Fit which I have seen towed, base plates are available, etc.. BUT, Honda says 'No', so the warranty will not cover any resulting transmission or other issues if they can point to towing as a possible cause. Even Remco says that many people do tow the Fit without problems but "if you have any trans damage you will pay out of pocket". I just don't want to take that kind of a gamble.

I think we have pretty much resolved that towing 4-down is the way to go so we'll just have to bite the bullet. DW is still thinking that renting a car is cheaper - may be right but I really want a car with us for all of the convenience it offers.

2014 390RB-60 "The Shire"
RKC02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
We go the rental car route. Went to Key West, Florida this past Jan/Feb and rented a car for about 10 days. Picked it up at Marathon airport on the way in and dropped it off there on the way out. Rented through Costco and it wound up costing us about $314. We have an American Express card which has an 'insurance policy' that they sell to cover cars that are rented using their card. It cost $29 and covers everything on the rental car. No going through your insurance and having to hassle with them. I believe that if we had towed a car from New York, it would have cost us at least $100 more between fuel and tolls and not having to worry about hitching and unhitching or backing up. We feel that it is just easier to go the rental route.
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #14
Many thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions!!
I love being able to discuss Berkshire issues on this forum!
2014 390RB-60 "The Shire"
RKC02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #15
410 QS 425 2011 Birkshire
I have used a car dolly for several years with no problems. Towed a Dodge Van at first and now have a Honda van both Handicapped accessible.Here is the link to the dolly

malewis49 is offline   Reply With Quote

towing, trailer