Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #1

Trailer Towing a Car

Lots of toad comments lately so I have another thought to run by our group: We have a Toyota Venza AWD which cannot be flat towed. Wife and I love the car and would rather not trade for a towable (but may have to I guess...). We don't need a second car, which is the other option, but hate to buy another car just for towing. Renting a car as needed at the destination is an option but gets old and expensive while snowbirding.
So, I am wondering if a car trailer is viable for us? I have seen and heard many comments against because of loading hassles, storage of the trailer at destination (and home), etc.. I've also seen many posts from those who pull large trailers for their cars and toys with seemingly few problems. I have towed many trailers of all sizes during my Army career but never have with a civilian vehicle and certainly not with a RV. So my question/request is for comments and suggestions from those who have as to whether a car trailer is a viable option or considered just too much hassle.
I would likely opt for a lightweight, open, aluminum model so I could move it with my car as needed.
Please let me know your thoughts - Thanks.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #2

Trailer Towing a Car

I tow four down, but I would guess it all depends on the person. If you are the type of guy that doesn't mind doing a little extra work hooking up and loading up then go for it. I see lots of coaches on the road hauling car trailers and/or cargo trailers. Lots of campgrounds have space to keep trailers when the sites are small. I had my Jeep before I bought my coach so it was a no brainer for me.

Most campgrounds also have pull through site that would allow you to keep the trailer hooked to your coach. I've seen lots of set ups in campgrounds like this.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 07-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #3

A aluminum trailer is going to weigh around 2000 lbs. not sure what size you need but a 18' open is around 5000$ new. If you need a 22' the price goes up. A steel trailer is only about 200 lbs heavier and is cheaper. If you shop around you can find a used car set up to tow flat for around the same price. All the options have hassles and require extra work.
Flat towing is the easiest way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Have you rejected the idea of towing it on a dolly?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #5

Thanks all for the help! My car is AWD so all four wheels have to be up. If we do go the trailer route I will certainly compare steel vs. aluminum. I do think flat towing a car would be simpler - just wondering if we can avoid a second car (with insurance, tow bar, base plate, etc., its more expensive). Still undecided.....

RKC02
Old 07-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #6

I had a Ford Fusion supposedly able to tow 4 wheel down. Had trany problems DW didn't trust towing any more so we bought 20ft aluminum trailer about ($6000). The problem with that was trying to find a place to store it in a camp ground. Finally traded the Fusion in on an Equinox towing that 4 down. I liked towing the trailer. Jim
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #7

Jrlebaron. - was the trailer a hassle? Or was it just a little extra work? The storage issue is one of the problems to consider, but where we snow bird it won't be an issue.

RKC02
Old 07-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #8

Trailering is more of a hassle then flat towing. I used my car to move the trailer around. Loading and tying down wasn't any longer then hooking up. I thought towing the trailer was more stable. One thing with trailering is that you can always back it up.
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlebaron View Post
I had a Ford Fusion supposedly able to tow 4 wheel down. Had trany problems DW didn't trust towing any more so we bought 20ft aluminum trailer about ($6000). The problem with that was trying to find a place to store it in a camp ground. Finally traded the Fusion in on an Equinox towing that 4 down. I liked towing the trailer. Jim
I've towed my Ford Fiesta 4 down over 9K miles in the last two years. No problems at all, and that's with NO mods whatsoever to the tranny.

boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #10

I wouldn't use a trailer because of the reality of getting it in and out of parks and resorts. Most spaces I've been exposed to do not have room for a trailer and a car. You might be limiting where you can stay by going this route.

On a side note, I was under the impression that most AWD models can be flat towed because of the way the drive system is designed. We took a year to research a TOAD and found that quite a few models that didn't present a problem where the standard 2 wheel drive versions did. We chose the EDGE AWD because of the interior size and it was not expensive to add a towing system. I guess it's up to each manufacturer. Does your manual specifically forbid flat towing? I've seen auto makers forbid flat towing for warranty reasons even though it will not present a mechanical problem.

It really comes down to what you are comfortable with. I've seen plenty of MINI's being towed and if you call a dealer about doing it, they will tell you absolutely do not flat tow one. If you know or trust a tow truck operator, ask them how they would tow your Venza with AWD.

Edit: Just looked your's up. Never mind my question about the manual. It seems Toyota's AWD system will not uncouple the rear drive. All 4 up is the only way. But you already knew that. Good Luck.
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #11

For the cost, hassle, and storage requirements of a trailer you can buy another used car just to tow and still have money to spare. My opinion, of course, and will reduce the wear and tear on your Versa.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forest River Forums
rbneron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #12

JJ - Thanks for the comments and info. As you stated in your edit, the Venza cannot be towed at all. We bought the car before the MH so towing wasn't even a consideration at that time. There are many vehicles that can technically be towed and I have seen them towed as well, But, if the manufacturer says no in the manual, you are on your own if/when something goes wrong. We looked at a Honda Fit which I have seen towed, base plates are available, etc.. BUT, Honda says 'No', so the warranty will not cover any resulting transmission or other issues if they can point to towing as a possible cause. Even Remco says that many people do tow the Fit without problems but "if you have any trans damage you will pay out of pocket". I just don't want to take that kind of a gamble.

I think we have pretty much resolved that towing 4-down is the way to go so we'll just have to bite the bullet. DW is still thinking that renting a car is cheaper - may be right but I really want a car with us for all of the convenience it offers.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #13

RK,
We go the rental car route. Went to Key West, Florida this past Jan/Feb and rented a car for about 10 days. Picked it up at Marathon airport on the way in and dropped it off there on the way out. Rented through Costco and it wound up costing us about $314. We have an American Express card which has an 'insurance policy' that they sell to cover cars that are rented using their card. It cost $29 and covers everything on the rental car. No going through your insurance and having to hassle with them. I believe that if we had towed a car from New York, it would have cost us at least $100 more between fuel and tolls and not having to worry about hitching and unhitching or backing up. We feel that it is just easier to go the rental route.
JMHO.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #14

Many thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions!!
I love being able to discuss Berkshire issues on this forum!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #15
410 QS 425 2011 Birkshire

I have used a car dolly for several years with no problems. Towed a Dodge Van at first and now have a Honda van both Handicapped accessible.Here is the link to the dollyhttp://cartowdolly.com/
malewis49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, trailer