Old 08-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #11

Please show a picture and where to find this switch. I just got my recall letter today and I want to check it ASAP.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #12

It is the black box inside the electrical compartment where the shore power cord is located. What did your letter say?

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
Berkshire 390QS

When I found out about thie issue, the FR rep had us open the transfer switch box (with power disconnected) and inspect the white and green wires for any signs of browning and that the wires were still flexable. The concern was with the wires on top, furthest in. MAKE SURE YOU ARE DISCONNECTED.
Skip
NO3putt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #14

The envelope had saftey recall on it. Letter said to bring it to a dealer ASAP to get it fixed. Should take an hour and they will change a switch. No charge etc etc.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Here are 4 picts from my burnt out transfer switch. Sorry about them being so small but that's what I had to do to get them to fit within this forum.

My transfer switch is in the last comparment on the drivers side. One door past the location where the shore power line is stored. We have a 2011 Berkshire 390BH.

As for the inside of the switch box, the left side of the terminal block is the switch manufacturer's side. Where they run the various inputs to their relays/switches and then to the output which is the top four terminals. On the right side, the shore power coming in is on terminals 5, 6, 7, and 8 from the top. You can also tell by the thick black cord coming into the bottom of the box. The generator line input is the bottom conduit line on the right. It's wires run to terminals 9, 10, 11, and 12 from the top (or the bottom four terminals). The top conduit on the right runs to the breaker panel under the bed. This is the output and is terminal numbers 1-4 from top.

In our case, the white/neutral wire on the left on terminal 3 from top arced and melted away. The heat from this resulted in everything else surrounding it to begin melting and arcing. Notice the red and neutral wire running to the breaker panel on the top right (terminals 2 and 3) how they started arcing as well.

I didn't take a picture of the cover but it is badly wrapped and disfigured.

Not only is the switch toast, but the wires going to our panel (and possibly the green ground from shore power) are now bad and need to be replaced.

Also, look at the bottom of the box. Little beads of molten metal piled up there. I picked most of them out.

This occurred while running the generator traveling down the interstate in the morning hours. We were running our two A/C units - nothing else. So this was not the result of excessive load or excessive outside temperatures. I'm wondering if there was a poor connection to begin with. But what do I know other than we almost lost our motorhome to a fire!
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #16
Berkshire 390QS

Looks bad for sure. Glad no one got hurt. Suggest while your unit is in the shop that they pop off the AC breaker panel cover and make sure all the wires are secure on the bus bars. We had one or more wires come off and it melted the box and burned up many wires and could have lost the MH.

Skip, if I knew how to post pictures on here would show the mess
Skip
NO3putt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:38 AM   #17

That was from loose connections. I have a 2012 Georgetown and on my final inspection opened the transfer switch and noticed the wires were discolored from being loose while energized. FR approved replacment of the 50 AMP transfer switch to a different brand.

Top Picture -
The Light manufactured one with the white and gold label was the bad one.

Bottom Picture -
The new transfer switch is above my Progessive Industires Electrical Managment System that monitors power. (Model EMS-LCHW50)
It monitors high and low volatges, high and low cycles, plus more. If anything is wrong it will not energize or it will shut down if already powered up. Nice optional toy I bought.

Here is a link to Progressive Industries and my power managment box if you are interested.
http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_lchw50.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April_17_2012 011.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	17624   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 001.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	17626  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #18

Here are some photos of mine. It looks like mine is a little different. It is in a metal box. All the wires look ok. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3967885481.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	17635   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2406036693.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	17636  
Old 08-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #19
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
Ed,
Not ours, we had a burned up AC breaker panel that's under the bed. Too close to mess around with. Cause was one or more wires had come off the power bus and shorted. We were lucky for sure. I will be taking off the breaker panel every so often and checking to make sure all the wire are secure.

Skip
Seems FR has a bit of a problem with their, excuse the title, Electricians! I've had more than my fair share of electrical issues involving bad connections. First the power cord fried the neutral lug in the transfer switch from not being tightened properly. I cut the original cord back about 6 inches and connected to the spare neutral lug. Also had problems with wiring in a junction box where the AC units and front Receptacles all meet. Numerous fried wires due to questionable use of wirenuts without twisting the wires together.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #20
410 QS 425 2011 Birkshire

talked to Lazydays got one story, then talked to Forestriver got another story, but now have appointment to have it replaced on the 21th of the month ? only one day to fix it, will see when that happens!