Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #1

Transfer Switch

Does anyone know who makes the transfer switch that is in our coaches? I need to call them and ask a question.

Also, has anyone else noticed this issue? When I plug my coach in, after a short time the transfer switch kicks in with a clunk noise. Today I was out working on my coach and I heard that same noise once or twice more. Nothing changed with the power to the coach and my Progressive surge suppressor did not note any unusual condition with the power.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #2

Tom
I notice a clunk also everytime when I first power up. Never noticed it again and nothing seems to change.
I think it is the solenoid kicking in.
Marty
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #3

I always hear it when plugging it in. Funny thing I woke up around 3am and heard the same clunk. I got up thinking I lost power but found nothing. Not sure what to think everything works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
Berkshire 390QS

Mine clunks everytime we plug in. Also have heard it at night, or even durning the day, but always check the microwave clock and each time we lost power and no error codes on the EMS.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #5

Mine clunks too.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 06-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #6

I guess that the intermittent 'clunking' noise is a normal condition. I too check the microwave and the surge suppressor and both are normal and everything works fine.
I guess it is just one of those mystery noises that will go unsolved! Hopefully it won't develop into something more serious later on.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Tom, As you know, the transfer switch is in an aluminum box. When they replaced mine on the recall a couple of tears (years) ago, I noticed the same switch noise. I would think it is suppose to make a "switching noise", as it is mechanical. Put you ear to a light switch in your house, you will hear a noise, but not as loud. Craig

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #8

Craig why do they do that after being plugged in for days. No loss if power but get the same bang as I do when I plug in?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #9

Craig,
As Phil said, when I first plug in I get the clunk. But, it also intermittently clunks while plugged in and just sitting. Nothing changes- power stays on (checked microwave and it is not blinking) and my Progressive shows no issues with the incoming power. Everything seems to be functioning properly.
I guess the coaches may be haunted(LOL!!)
Tom

Old 06-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #10

I have never heard mine RE clunk. Just the initial clunk when I plug into shore power.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 06-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #11
2011 Berkshire 390BH

I was looking on another forum for some insight. The opinions there was the transfer switch is only suppose to clunk when it goes from gen-set to shore power and vise-versa, or when you initially plug into shore power. They indicated to check for loose connection within the switch, dirty connections, a bad male connection at the plug end or the shore power coming in was to fault. Tom, you can now take your ear away from the light socket! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #12
Berkshire 390QS

My understanding is that the transfer switch default is the genertor and should not clunk when going to or on the generator. Since it is a mechanical switch, will only clunk when shore power is applied and then again when disconnected and going back to the default position of the generator. Next time when disconnecting from shore power going to listen for the clunk. Only thinking.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #13

Couple weeks ago, I had the MH out at the curb with 100ft of extension cord. When I plugged in, I heard the usual clunk, but then it clunked off and on repeatedly. My Progressive surge protector showed a good E0 code but then a funny P something. Also the voltage was low ( because of the. Cord). I then got out a heavy duty cord, the voltage was good, but the same P code. I then plugged the cord into the 20 amp outlet that I installed for storage, the P code went away and the clunking stopped.

The transfer switch is a electro-mechanical relay and should not be gone on and off repeatedly. Each time it does, there is an arc across the contacts and this will wear the switch out eventually.

Hank
Old 06-24-2014, 10:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Couple weeks ago, I had the MH out at the curb with 100ft of extension cord. When I plugged in, I heard the usual clunk, but then it clunked off and on repeatedly. My Progressive surge protector showed a good E0 code but then a funny P something. Also the voltage was low ( because of the. Cord). I then got out a heavy duty cord, the voltage was good, but the same P code. I then plugged the cord into the 20 amp outlet that I installed for storage, the P code went away and the clunking stopped.

The transfer switch is a electro-mechanical relay and should not be gone on and off repeatedly. Each time it does, there is an arc across the contacts and this will wear the switch out eventually.

Hank
Adding to what you said-The transfer switch is really a two position contactor. In the normal state it connects to the generator output, in the energized state the contactor with power from shore will energize the magnetic coil and pull up a armature carrying contacts to the shore power position. That's why with gen running, it stays on shore power. The clunk is the armature reaching its travel and the contacts closing. If it clunks with power applied at random something is wrong. Could be it begins to fall out and the surge of the coil pulls it back in.

This contactor is break before make to prevent parallel of generator and shorepower. You can imagine trying to power the power company with the onboard genset. Anyway intermittent opening will destroy the contactor. I suspect the closing circuit is part electronic and that's probably where the problem lies.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transfer switch