Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #1

Two issues encountered on last trip

I just returned from a trip where I encountered 2 issues and was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problems.

1- headlight on the drivers side keeps going out. I jiggle the wires and it comes on but if I shut the engine off and restart it does not come on by itself. It seems that the problem is with the large connector where a large wiring harness connects to the wires for the various lights in the front.

2. I intermittently get a message 'no video signal' on the screen when I put the right directional on.

Just wondering if anyone else had these issues and if so, what was the fix.

Thanks,
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
Old Timer

Doesn't seem to matter what you are driving -- I just had to replace a low beam headlight socket, driver's side, on my 2011 GMC Sierra. Corrosion, poor connection, whatever. As for the side view camera, don't have much experience with them except when test driving a couple of motorhomes last winter. I'm not a fan. Just prefer good mirrors. Do have a back up camera on the Wildcat. It's worthless too. They all seem to be more of a distraction than an aid to navigation.(IMHO)
kentnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #3

Do have an occasional problem with the right camera. It is intermittent and since I always use my mirrors preferentially, it's not much of problem.
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #4

Tom
I get the no video connection occasionally when i turn on the rear camera. It usually last for about 10 seconds and then the camera comes on. I never pay much attention to it so have not been concerned. I never use the side camera when turning or changing lanes. Mirrors are more trustworthy.
As for the headlights it is problably a lose or bad connection like you had on your heater/ac fan. Just keep jiggling those wires since now that you are back up north with nothing to do it should keep you busy until spring. Keep us posted
Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #5

Marty,
I know it is a bad connection but it seems to be in the large connector plug where the big wiring harness comes into the connector and the individual wires to the lights come out. Not sure how to correct the connection problem. When the crap that is falling from the sky stops I will post a picture of the connector.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #6

See if you stayed south the crap would not be falling from the sky. Sitting in the car now and it is 83 degrees here in CHS. Also Margaret would not have slipped on the ice. Send picture of connector when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
I just returned from a trip where I encountered 2 issues and was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problems.

1- headlight on the drivers side keeps going out. I jiggle the wires and it comes on but if I shut the engine off and restart it does not come on by itself. It seems that the problem is with the large connector where a large wiring harness connects to the wires for the various lights in the front.

2. I intermittently get a message 'no video signal' on the screen when I put the right directional on.

Just wondering if anyone else had these issues and if so, what was the fix.

Thanks,
Tom
I have had both problems. As part of my spring ritual I spray all my under coach/outside connectors with PB Blaster. Cleans out the connectors and keeps them from corroding.

I also spray the connectors in the frig and hot water heater.

For the camera I found the the connector would wiggle causing the intermittent contact. Open hatch on dash, locate the proper camera connector, they are labeled. Clean out well, use WD40 Then tape the connector with electrical tape and use something like a Popsicle stick taped around the connector to keep it stiff. It prevents the wiggle and solved my problem.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #8

"Deoxit D5" from Caig Industries is an excellent contact cleaner. Safe for most anything electronic. I use it on musical equipment, won't leave a residue. They have a "gold" contact conditioner, but I mainly use that on pins on the tubes in guitar amps.

Amazon.com: Hosa Cable D5S6 Deoxit Contact Cleaner Spray: Musical Instruments

Gottawonder
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote