Old 05-16-2015, 07:15 PM   #1

Two TV questions

We're on the shakedown cruise for our new 34QS, because it is the May long weekend in Canada (we get a one-week jump on the Yanks by commemorating Queen Victoria's birthday Ė the Brits don't even observe Victoria Day, but when you need a stat holiday....)

So, I'm setting up the TV system, and have two questions:

1. We have 4 Jensen TVs and four remotes. I've carefully marked which remote is for which TV. But, one remote runs both the LR TV and the Front TV over the driver's seat. I can't run them independently. Surely, I'm not the only person to have this problem. Have people successfully re-programmed the TV and remote pairing somehow, or do they cover some sensor when they run the remote? I'm assuming they are infrared, because if they are RF, I really need to re-program.

2. I've got a coax cable input in the electrical bay that holds the 50 amp power input. Below the LR TV, alongside the Bluray and the iTrak distribution switch, there are two coax cable connections and they are connected to nothing. One has a light beside it. Is one of these directly connected to the coax in the electrical bay? Does the other hook up to all the TVs? Which is which? Is one hooked up the the HD rooftop antenna (which has power)? Note that I'm in the mountains right now with no TV signals, so I'm just trying to get a head start for when I'm playing with this in my back alley at home. I'm hoping that Berkshire sets these up the same on other motorhomes, so the experience of others will help me.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #2

gordonsick,
I have not found a way to 'un-pair' the two LR TV's. When one is turned on they both alwayx come on.
Also, one of the cable inputs should be market 'satellite'. That is, as it indicates, the hook up for a satellite dish. The other one with the light is for the roof antenna. The light indicates that the booster is on and that the roof antenna is in use. When you hook up to a campground cable, that booster must be off in order for the cable TV be used.
Hope this helps.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #3

The remotes are IR and probably doesn't matter which remote for each TV.
Both our living room TVs turn on and off together also.
But we can change channels and adjust volume independently.

I have not tried it yet, but I think I would first look at the TV menus to see if you could turn off the function.
It might be called CEC function.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
gordonsick,
I have not found a way to 'un-pair' the two LR TV's. When one is turned on they both alwayx come on.
Also, one of the cable inputs should be market 'satellite'. That is, as it indicates, the hook up for a satellite dish. The other one with the light is for the roof antenna. The light indicates that the booster is on and that the roof antenna is in use. When you hook up to a campground cable, that booster must be off in order for the cable TV be used.
Hope this helps.
Thanks Tom. I guess I can will the Infrared button in the lower left corner of the TV that I don't want to control, and then control the other.

None of my inputs/outputs (under the LR TV) is marked with any kind of label, which causes a lot of my confusion. Are the two COAX connectors inside my coach, under the LR TV, inputs from Satellite (no booster) and the campground cable (with switched booster)?

If so, what do I hook them up to? Can I only hook them up to the LR TV? Right now, I do have a Coax cable going to each TV and it is supplying local over-the-air programming. I'm not sure where the splitter is from the antenna for those channels.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #5

Gordon,
You are correct. The COAX connector with the booster is for the roof antenna for over the air programs. It is already connected to the antenna and feeds the TV's when it is on.(there is also an on/off switch by the handle in the ceiling to turn the antenna on or off.) The other COAX connector is for a satellite dish hookup. There is a spot on the roof of the coach where you would need to cut a hole to hook up a satellite dish. I do not have a dish and am not sure if there is anything else you would need to do. If you want a dish, do a search of the Forums and you should be able to find someone who has hooked one up.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #6

Tom,
Thanks. So I gather that I might as well leave these Coax inputs under the LR Tv unconnected unless I install a dish. Our 34QS did come with the optional dish dome installed, but I don't plan to do anything with it right now. I have also played with the antenna direction and turning it on and off.

Dan,
I was looking at the TV setup last night and did see the CEC function, but decided I didn't have enough time to play with it. I'll keep it in mind to see if I can get it to work later. and I'll report my success or failure.

Thanks to both for the valuable advice.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #7

Gordon, I believe that CEC function works through the HDMI cable. Therefore I don't think covering up the ir window on the TV will stop simultaneous operation.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:38 PM   #8

Dan,
Thanks. I'll check it out on my next trip.
–Gordon