Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #21

I'm not a total tech guy, so here is what the Onan tech expert said was happening..."Gen Set inverter is faulting out w/code 27. Cause: found inverter is faulting out on cod:e 27. Correction: trouble shot gen test rotor starter, wiring OK. Replaced inverter test OK. Coach remote unit faulted out on code 27 again. Removed cover Checked voltage OK. Test coach inverter found it is sending some sort of voltage back to our inverter faulting it out. ( Inverter coach Problem)

Buzz
rvdrmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdrmin View Post
I'm not a total tech guy, so here is what the Onan tech expert said was happening..."Gen Set inverter is faulting out w/code 27. Cause: found inverter is faulting out on cod:e 27. Correction: trouble shot gen test rotor starter, wiring OK. Replaced inverter test OK. Coach remote unit faulted out on code 27 again. Removed cover Checked voltage OK. Test coach inverter found it is sending some sort of voltage back to our inverter faulting it out. ( Inverter coach Problem)
ok, that sounds right. your description of the issue before threw me off.. turning off on full batteries vs faulting out because of AC back feeding is two completely different issues. back charging and back feeding are two different things as well. AC back feeding is an inverter issue. sounds like your magnum inverter has an issue with its internal transfer switch. it did not sense AC power and stop inverting.

a verification test would be to turn off the inverter from inside the coach while the generator was running. this should keep the generator running.
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post

ok, that sounds right. your description of the issue before threw me off.. turning off on full batteries vs faulting out because of AC back feeding is two completely different issues. back charging and back feeding are two different things as well. AC back feeding is an inverter issue. sounds like your magnum inverter has an issue with its internal transfer switch. it did not sense AC power and stop inverting.

a verification test would be to turn off the inverter from inside the coach while the generator was running. this should keep the generator running.
Like I said I've just enough knowledge to be dangerous...dealer replacing inverter next week hopefully solving this chapter!

Buzz
Old 05-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #24

Quote:
A little fuzzy here, but why would you want the Magnum inverter turned on when the generator is running? I haven't tried mine yet, but sort of thought that when the genset is running, all AC outlets in the coach would be "live" without needing the Magnum.

When the genset is not running but the Magnum is, then selected (not all) AC outlets would be "live".

Finally, I thought the only "real" inverter in the coach is the Magnum. Isn't the device that charges the batteries from the getset called a CONverter? Not trying to be nit-picky here, but just want to understand correctly.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
A little fuzzy here, but why would you want the Magnum inverter turned on when the generator is running? I haven't tried mine yet, but sort of thought that when the genset is running, all AC outlets in the coach would be "live" without needing the Magnum.

When the genset is not running but the Magnum is, then selected (not all) AC outlets would be "live".

Finally, I thought the only "real" inverter in the coach is the Magnum. Isn't the device that charges the batteries from the getset called a CONverter? Not trying to be nit-picky here, but just want to understand correctly.

Boowho??
you are correct. the inverter does not need to be on when the generator is running or if shore power is present. however, rvdrmin has a backfeeding issue where his inverter was sending its own AC current into the lines while the generator was; hence the test of turning off the inverter. normally the inverter would not be inverting (making AC power from batteries) when it senses AC power, even if you turn it on.

a generator doesn't have an inverter in the way you are thinking. i think the tech is using wrong terms and confusing the issue even worst.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #26

Quote:
normally the inverter would not be inverting (making AC power from batteries) when it senses AC power, even if you turn it on.

Ah, now I got it..... I was even thinking that turning on the inverter while AC was coming from the genset or shore power might damage it. I'm pretty new to such a "fancy" setup.

So...... then is the genset also made idiot proof so if I "accidently" start it while connected to shore power it's not "cooked"?

BTW, the 12 year old genset in my previous coach went t*** up, and the tech said it happened because I shut it down while under load.

Boowho??

Thanks

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #27

Had generator on for 110V power for vacuums and HVAC vent fans and to raise Traveler antenna; I wasn't hooked up to shore power @ my house at the time. Suddenly generator shut off so no AC power enough for what I needed to run. Gen would restart but only run few seconds supposedly because house batteries now 100% full. So I either need to stay on shore power or make sure batteries never reach full charge till inverter is replaced. Hope I got that right,,

Buzz
Old 05-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #28

how about turning the battery disconnect off?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdrmin View Post
We have a '13 360QL with an 8K Onan generator. Recently it is shutting down when batteries reach full charge. Onan said the Magnum inverter is 'back charging' the Onan inverter tripping the shut down. Onan replaced generator inverter during my visit. It's still occurring and Magnam said they haven't had any other problems like this. Xantrex inverters did previously, according to Onan techs, but modification was made to correct the issue. For now have to run load on house batteries to insure never gets fully charged if I want to use generator. FR is going to replace my inverter, but wanted to know if any other Berkshire owners have had this problem?
We just bought our new but left over stock 2012 Berkshire 390BH-40 on 4/03/13. The Generator starts, runs for 30 seconds and then shuts down. I have had it to the Cummins/Onan service center twice and they think they have narrowed it down to the 1200 Watt Magnum Inverter. They isolated the generator from the coach and it runs and powers loads fine. As soon as they hook it back up to the coach, it starts and then shuts down again after 30 seconds. I am waiting for my dealer to find out what I need to do next. I bought the rig 5 hrs from my home so we are trying to find someone to work on it closer to home. Hope to get it fixed soon! I will let you know how it goes.
kgkundel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #30
2011 Berkshire 390bh

My electrical issue may be more minor than I thought. I brought the rig home and plugged it in to our 50 amp outlet at the house. My surge protecter registered a 10 amp draw fairly quickly. Now after a few days of being plugged in, it is showing no draw. I think the instantaneous draw was just the house batteries charging from the shore power.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #31

Ed,
Seems reasonable to me that what you saw as an electrical draw was just the batteries being charged.
Glad to see that your problem seems to be resolved.
Hope all is well.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #32
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Thanks Tom. Now if I can resolve my weight issue....not mine but my coaches....although my wife might disagree with that assessment!